Old School Way to build a Bulletproof Chest

Millions Knives
Millions Knives Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
edited August 2010 in The Weight Room
DAMN THIS FORUM IS ? DEAD....smdh

Before I stop posting here let me drop just alil bit of info..

If you want to build a muscular, rock-solid chest than most people would tell
you to focus on the bench press.

And that’s good advice. Because for a lot of people, the bench press is a great chest exercise.

However,

The bench press is NOT a great exercise for everyone. Let me explain:

Some people get really great results from the bench press. (Usually, guys with shorter arms do well with the bench press.)

But other people don’t see much results from the bench press. For some guys (usually guys with longer arms), the bench press becomes more of a front-shoulder workout.

While about 99% of all guys focus exclusively on the bench press, many people will actually see results from…

An “Old-School” Chest Exercise

Before the bench press got so popular, many old-time bodybuilders built incredibly upper body strength with just one exercise.

The heavy weighted parallel bar dip.

Why is the dip such an effective chest exercise?

Two reasons: First, it gives you a tremendous stretch at the bottom of the exercise and stretching the muscle like that can increase growth by about 10%.

And two, when you do dips you are moving your body up and down while your hands remain fixed. Why does this matter? Well, scientists have shown that the most effective exercises are the ones that involve moving your body up and down while your hands or feet remain still.

When you bench press, your body remains stationary and your hands move up and down. But when dipping, your hands remain fixed and your body moves up and down.

This forces you to concentrate more on balancing the weight of your body and therefore activates more muscle which results in more muscle growth.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

Start dips with your bodyweight only. When you get 12-15 reps, start increasing the resistance by tying some weight around your waist. Increase the weight slowly. Train hard and you can easily build up to the point where you are doing dips with 100 pounds tied to your waist.

Comments

• STOP.IT.5
    STOP.IT.5 Members Posts: 250
    edited August 2010
    This method is what helped me break the dip record my senior year in high school. I was a doing around 20 reps with a 45lb plate. Hey Miliions...You have any more bodyweight routines to recommend? I like the 15 minute routine you wrote about but I need some more variety.
  • shadb33
    shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Dumbbell Bench Press >>> Barbell Bench Press
  • Millions Knives
    edited August 2010
    STOP.IT.5 wrote: »
    This method is what helped me break the dip record my senior year in high school. I was a doing around 20 reps with a 45lb plate. Hey Miliions...You have any more bodyweight routines to recommend? I like the 15 minute routine you wrote about but I need some more variety.

Once you have build strength up with the routine I posted, now its time to do what I do:

Thats doing 10 one legged squats on each leg/ or continue with the 20 bodyweight squats holding dumbells on your shoulders

5 one arm pushups each arm

and 5 one arm pull ups each arm

you will continue to do one after the other in any order....until 30 minutes are up...NO REST

This routine will not only get you big...but ripped as well GURANTEED!

WARNING lol : this routine isnt something you should do all year, it should be done for 4 weeks MAX!

doing 11 months of heavy bench pressing, squats and deadlifts; I usaully don't do this routine till The end of spring/ beginning of summer ( if i know im going to be at va beach alot)

Hope this helps bruh
  • Millions Knives
    edited August 2010
    shadb33 wrote: »
    Dumbbell Bench Press >>> Barbell Bench Press

Plank Pushups and Gironda Dips>>>> than BOTH

Just youtube to see what both look like...I promise you those are the two realest chest/ upper body excercise's out
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    so wait.....dips will help my chest.....i still dont get it
  • shadb33
    shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    pralims wrote: »
    so wait.....dips will help my chest.....i still dont get it

Yea man it helps your lower pecs. U have to change it up a little though. To hit your chest lean forward and go a little further down. Tricep dips u just go straight down and not that far. Google it so u can understand more.
  • Millions Knives
    edited August 2010
    shadb33 wrote: »
    yea man it helps your lower pecs. U have to change it up a little though. To hit your chest lean forward and go a little further down. Tricep dips u just go straight down and not that far. Google it so u can understand more.

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    so what about the top of your pecs.....and im abiout to google....? i can dip all day. i ll ? around an be wide chested like a pitbull