Do anybody know any Engineeers? like mechanical engineers,etc. how are they doing....

Options
luke skywalker
luke skywalker Banned Users Posts: 147
edited August 2010 in Strictly Business
how long they worked at their job, how much money they make?

i want to become a mechanical engineer and i got to more years to go!!

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yeah i know some, a few are working for Lockheed Martin starting around 75,000 a year down here in Orlando. That was aerospace engineering i believe, i have another friend who i believed did mechanical engineering and he found a job in Georgia, it doesn't pay as much as aerospace though (40,000 i believe).
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited August 2010
    Options
    how long they worked at their job, how much money they make?

i want to become a mechanical engineer and i got to more years to go!!

working with the building engineers in the CNN building in DC is actually my job...
  • luke skywalker
    edited August 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Yeah i know some, a few are working for Lockheed Martin starting around 75,000 a year down here in Orlando. That was aerospace engineering i believe, i have another friend who i believed did mechanical engineering and he found a job in Georgia, it doesn't pay as much as aerospace though (40,000 i believe).

damn.......................
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    damn.......................

Mechanical engineering is on the lower scale of the engineering field, it's easier too in undergrad and requires less math. My homeboy is a junior now and Lockheed has been recruiting him, in the summer time he interns for them. MF has a 4.0 gpa, got a B once in speach and panicked, he took it over and got an A. lol
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Mechanical Engineering u say? I know several...hundred lol. Depending on what state you work in u can start at 50 directly out of college and the possibilities for what you can peak at are endless. Join ASME and get ur contacts up. Be active within that association and you will be guaranteed a good position when you graduate.
  • luke skywalker
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Mechanical Engineering u say? I know several...hundred lol. Depending on what state you work in u can start at 50 directly out of college and the possibilities for what you can peak at are endless. Join ASME and get ur contacts up. Be active within that association and you will be guaranteed a good position when you graduate.

you know plenty of them????? hmmmmmm...............
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    oh dear ? .. several from all walks. like 10 civil 13 mechanical 10 chemical and 15 software (including myself) Met a lot through NSBE and even more just taking ass loads of math classes. Almost all are doing exception. But at the very least they are doing good.
  • Lege|\|dary
    Lege|\|dary Members Posts: 474 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Like I think once you pass your engineers test

You can put stamps on certain mechanical things that you approve

and its sort of like an investment and if the machine does good you make loads of money

But if it ends up killing people, you can serve time in prison :(
  • luke skywalker
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Like I think once you pass your engineers test

You can put stamps on certain mechanical things that you approve

and its sort of like an investment and if the machine does good you make loads of money

But if it ends up killing people, you can serve time in prison :(

word? damn
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    oh dear ? .. several from all walks. like 10 civil 13 mechanical 10 chemical and 15 software (including myself) Met a lot through NSBE and even more just taking ass loads of math classes. Almost all are doing exception. But at the very least they are doing good.

yea NSBE is a great association as well....

just do research and JOIN ASSOCIATIONS! I mean thats like the #1 way to get urself a great job right out of college man
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    my best friend is finishing up his masters in civil engineering next spring semester. He'll be making like 60-70k for the indiana D.O.T.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I'm an engineer (systems and software). Everyone around me are also engineers. Starting pay for them really depends on your particular discipline and your resume. When I first started here, I came in as a mid-level engineer due to my experience. About a week later, we had an EE come in straight outta college. Dude was making around $50K a year or maybe a bit less. I say that 'cause dude was always complaining about money problems and having to live in a ? part of Phoenix 'cause that's what he could afford until his wife landed a job. I kinda felt bad for him 'cause I walked in the door making almost twice his salary without a degree, but I have years of experience under my belt.

There was a couple more cats that have come in over the last few years, straight outta college, that were complaining about money. I guess they have this notion that 'cause they have a degree, they're automatically worth $100K+, and they can't handle it when all of the offers they get hover around $50K.
  • cutthecrapolabuddy
    cutthecrapolabuddy Members Posts: 367
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I'm an engineer (systems and software). Everyone around me are also engineers. Starting pay for them really depends on your particular discipline and your resume. When I first started here, I came in as a mid-level engineer due to my experience. About a week later, we had an EE come in straight outta college. Dude was making around $50K a year or maybe a bit less. I say that 'cause dude was always complaining about money problems and having to live in a ? part of Phoenix 'cause that's what he could afford until his wife landed a job. I kinda felt bad for him 'cause I walked in the door making almost twice his salary without a degree, but I have years of experience under my belt.

There was a couple more cats that have come in over the last few years, straight outta college, that were complaining about money. I guess they have this notion that 'cause they have a degree, they're automatically worth $100K+, and they can't handle it when all of the offers they get hover around $50K.

alot of dudes assume they're going to make 100 + out the gate, as you said. they don't understand generally you have to work your way up to get that kinda dough. anyway, how is it for EE? that's what i'm going for