Best Buy Launches Nationwide Video Game Trade-Ins

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in IllGaming
500x_tradein.jpg

Electronics retailer Best Buy has rolled out its new video game trade-in program nationwide, offering a $20 gift card with select titles to help offset the fact that GameStop gives more credit on average.

Best Buy's new trade-in program goes wide this week, launching in nearly 600 locations around the country, with more in the coming months. Customers in participating stores will be able to take their games to the customer service counter or, in select locations, a dedicated trade-in counter, swapping their used titles for store credit. Game consoles and game accessories are also tradable. It's a large improvement over the kiosk-based program they tested earlier this year.

Customers can also trade-in games online at the video game trade-in web page, where credit values will mirror those in-store, a fact that paints a pretty sad picture.

For instance, Red Dead Redemption, a fairly popular title, trades-in at $19 at Best Buy. GameStop gives customers $24 for the same title, plus added value for members of its premium program. Super Mario Galaxy 2 trades for $17 at Best Buy, and $25 at GameStop.

The differences will be offset slightly starting on August 29, when more than 100 titles will be eligible for a bonus $20 gift card when traded in at Best Buy stores.

"The expansion of our trade-in program reaffirms our commitment to consistently pursue new ways to bring a better gaming experience to consumers," said Chris Homeister, senior vice president and general manager for the home entertainment group at Best Buy. "Fall marks the launch of several highly-anticipated gaming titles and new technology, and we're thrilled to provide gamers with innovative ways to connect with the games they love."

Best Buy plans to offer pre-owned titles collected through the program at a later date.

So who plans on bringing their games into Best Buy? Despite the value discrepancies, the store credit can be used towards DVDs, Blu-Ray movies, and appliances as well, so I could be persuaded to poke around there, should I find myself in the trading mood. You can never have too many toasters.

Comments

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ROFL!!! I didnt think it was possible for someone to rip ppl off more than gamestop does
  • PSN-Canibuss
    PSN-Canibuss Members Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yup! Best Buy has been ripping off people in Canada for a long ass time. The people that don't get ripped off, are the employees who purchase the used games. Used games for employees can go from any where from $2 to $30-$40 for a new game. Mafia II came out on Tuesday, someone trades that in. An employee at best buy can purchase that game for $30.
  • deeroc22
    deeroc22 Members Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yup! Best Buy has been ripping off people in Canada for a long ass time. The people that don't get ripped off, are the employees who purchase the used games. Used games for employees can go from any where from $2 to $30-$40 for a new game. Mafia II came out on Tuesday, someone trades that in. An employee at best buy can purchase that game for $30.

Word Best buy employess get SERIOUS discounts... My boy got me an $80 something dollar cable for $3... and has bought like 4 or 5 flats screens for firends
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    lol I got a best buy connect too, my homie get ? for crazy discounts
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ROFL!!! I didnt think it was possible for someone to rip ppl off more than gamestop does

No ? man. Got damn what the hell? ? Gamestop and now ? Best Buy!
  • PSN-Canibuss
    PSN-Canibuss Members Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yup, I used to work there and still get hook ups. Eventually, buying used games that have online MP will probably need codes. So buying from them, is a loss itself. $50 for a game, plus $10 online pass.. your better off buying it brand new.

Yeah, HDMI cables go for DIRT cheap for Best Buy employees. People get ripped of baaaaaaad there but they still continue to buy it. TV's unless they are on clearance, you wont get a huge discount.