A Mosque 10 miles away is STILL too close to Ground Zero

Options
Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in The Social Lounge
smhmosque.jpg

Oh no, not because they hate and fear Muslims or anything. They're just concerned about "parking", "traffic", and "Neighborhood Character".

Sheepshead Bay section of Brooklyn. These muhfuckas.......

Comments

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    smh... fear and lack of knowledge become the greatest enemy when combined
  • elliott_argon
    elliott_argon Members Posts: 286 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    i guess it makes sense that a nation built on taking away from others would be defensive and extremely paranoid about others 'taking' from them...
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited August 2010
    Options
    lol@less or even no parking on the street.

i guess muslims have no right to park in new york

how does a mosque pollute new york?
  • BethlehemBill
    BethlehemBill Members Posts: 140
    edited August 2010
    Options
    their freedom of speech to protest is just as important (and protected) as the right of the group to build the prayer center.
  • MBEWANE
    MBEWANE Members Posts: 15
    edited August 2010
    Options
    i guess it makes sense that a nation built on taking away from others would be defensive and extremely paranoid about others 'taking' from them...

Indeed. And am I the only one that saw that report on CNN saying that there are already praying places for Muslims in the area anyway? Then Americans walk around wondering why random people from all over the world hate them. You can't bomb democracy down on civilians talking about civil rights and freedom and whatnot and then refuse to have believers pray to their ? in 'the land of the free". This hypocrisy is so huge they can't even see it. And all of this a few miles from the Statue of Liberty. Sure anybody is free to protest, I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the fact that this is such a big issue. I guess a decade of "war on terror" (sic) will cause serious brain damage.
  • princetavern
    princetavern Confirm Email Posts: 492
    edited August 2010
    Options
    their freedom of speech to protest is just as important (and protected) as the right of the group to build the prayer center.

True, but I didn't see anyone arguing against that. I think the point was more along the lines of, "Hey, look how nicely these folks have masked their ignorance and intolerance."
    I mean, its not like they're gonna say it's because the Muslims will be of a cultures, colors, or religions other than their own seeing as how all that good stuff is protected too.
  • BethlehemBill
    BethlehemBill Members Posts: 140
    edited August 2010
    Options
    True, but I didn't see anyone arguing against that. I think the point was more along the lines of, "Hey, look how nicely these folks have masked their ignorance and intolerance."
    I mean, its not like they're gonna say it's because the Muslims will be of a cultures, colors, or religions other than their own seeing as how all that good stuff is protected too.

just saying that people who support the mosque are quick to jump all over anyone who is against it for violating their right to freedom of religious expression, but in doing so are trying to violate that group's right to freedom of speech and assembly when protesting.
  • princetavern
    princetavern Confirm Email Posts: 492
    edited August 2010
    Options
    just saying that people who support the mosque are quick to jump all over anyone who is against it for violating their right to freedom of religious expression, but in doing so are trying to violate that group's right to freedom of speech and assembly when protesting.

I know, I agreed with you. I just didn't know where you were directing your statement exactly because I didn't see anyone in the thread arguing against their right to protest. I think the point of the thread was more about it being almost humorous how they are going about it with concerns of "parking" and "pollution."
  • Sourpatch Kid
    Sourpatch Kid Members Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    If people are in fear of a mosque being built two blocks from the World Trade Center because of their subliminal derogatory racism towards muslims then they should follow their own advice and not build catholic schools or catholic churches near elementary schools in fear of popes molesting the youth. That ? is pure racism and not all muslims are terrorist there are just negatives in every religion and that's how the world works.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

You must share the sentiment, because I didn't see anyone here protesting the freedom to say whatever they want or assemble , just the hypocrisy of their stance of using the same constitution that guarantees that freedom of religion that they want to oppose.

As a black person it is a little unsettling to see white people who are predominately christian and have used their pulpit and symbol of Christianity(Burning cross) to terrorize Natives and Blacks, yet all over this great nation we have churches everywhere. Now what they want to do is deny someone the right to build a house of wosrhip, who if we compared religious misdeeds of so-called adherants, Muslims are a distant third behind Christians and Jews in this country.

Shame......