Lauryn Hill Joined on Stage By Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Alicia Keys & More

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in R&B & Alternatives

Mary J. Blige goes up on stage at mark 2:58, Beyonce goes on at 3:17, a heavily pregnant Alicia Keys goes on at 3:39, Swizz Beatz goes on at 4:11, Chris Rock follows at 4:38, Jay-Z at 5:00 and John Legend at 5:24.

Comments

• garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Why is Beyonce going up, she is the antithesis of Lauryn Hill as a musician and as a person.
  • focus
    edited September 2010
    Options
    garv wrote: »
    Why is Beyonce going up, she is the antithesis of Lauryn Hill as a musician and as a person.

How.........?
  • Super Lex
    Super Lex Members Posts: 460
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Well this is a nice surprise to see all those people come out for her. A lot of people talk so much trash about her but I bet all of them who walked out there felt honored to be on the same stage and get that shout out.

Good to see Mary still riding.
  • Tha Killa
    Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options

Cosign wholeheartedly
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It's so funny how fans try to pit artist against each other, just because they have elitist taste and think their music like and dislikes are better than others. Lauryn has said that she liked Beyonces music before.
  • garv
    edited September 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    It's so funny how fans try to pit artist against each other, just because they have elitist taste and think their music like and dislikes are better than others. Lauryn has said that she liked Beyonces music before.

I'm just saying how it is, Beyonce is the complete antithesis to everything Lauryn Hill stands for. In regards of music Alicia Keys and John Legend are much more similar to Lauryn than Beyonce ever has been.
  • garv
    edited September 2010
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    How.........?

What you mean how, go and listen to Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.

Lauryn Hill went against the industry while Beyonce embraces it, Lauryn Hill refused to be marketed as a sex image while Beyonce embraces it.

Lauryn Hill was afrocentric, and pro black while Beyonce is talking about how she would of loved to be latina.

Beyonce allowed her skin to be lightened in an advert, and didn't say nothing about it you think a proud black woman like Lauryn Hill would accept that?

Compare Miseducation of Lauryn Hill with I Am Sasha Fierce.

And artistically they are worlds apart, in fact Beyonces sister Solange is far close to L Boogie musically than Beyonce. Beyonce has oversaturated the market with her generic redundant songs, with the same generic redundant beats. Solanges album in 2008 was a breath of fresh air to me, and one of the better albums released that year, artistically Beyonce is far more concerned with making generic pos songs like Britney Spears.
  • focus
    edited September 2010
    Options
    What you mean how, go and listen to Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.

Lauryn Hill went against the industry while Beyonce embraces it, Lauryn Hill refused to be marketed as a sex image while Beyonce embraces it.

Lauryn Hill was afrocentric, and pro black while Beyonce is talking about how she would of loved to be latina.

Beyonce allowed her skin to be lightened in an advert, and didn't say nothing about it you think a proud black woman like Lauryn Hill would accept that?

Compare Miseducation of Lauryn Hill with I Am Sasha Fierce.

And artistically they are worlds apart, in fact Beyonces sister Solange is far close to L Boogie musically than Beyonce. Beyonce has oversaturated the market with her generic redundant songs, with the same generic redundant beats. Solanges album in 2008 was a breath of fresh air to me, and one of the better albums released that year, artistically Beyonce is far more concerned with making generic pos songs like Britney Spears.

And so...because Beyonce has lighter skin...and because they make different kinds of music...they cant be on same stage together? I guess i'm lost?
  • garv
    edited September 2010
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    And so...because Beyonce has lighter skin...and because they make different kinds of music...they cant be on same stage together? I guess i'm lost?

Did you read my post, i said Beyonce willingly allowed L'Oreal to lighten her skin for a commercial.

And my original post was that Beyonce was the antithesis of Lauryn Hill, which you then wanted to know why and i responded nothing to do with them being on the same stage together.
  • focus
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Did you read my post, i said Beyonce willingly allowed L'Oreal to lighten her skin for a commercial.

And my original post was that Beyonce was the antithesis of Lauryn Hill, which you then wanted to know why and i responded nothing to do with them being on the same stage together.

You asked why she was going up there. Nothing you have said has explained why she shouldn't have...especially since Lauryn invited her.
  • Tha Killa
    Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Damn. Garv basically shut ? down with his post. Although I'd add that Jay-Z, and Swizzy both don't deserve to be on the same stage as her as well. I know she invited them up, but artistically speaking, they can't hold her ? ? .
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm just saying how it is, Beyonce is the complete antithesis to everything Lauryn Hill stands for. In regards of music Alicia Keys and John Legend are much more similar to Lauryn than Beyonce ever has been.
    Who cares, though?