Akai Remix 16 HELP!!!

Jsince90s
Jsince90s Members Posts: 180
edited September 2010 in Fresh Produce
So I got given this remix 16 the other day I know its old (released in '96) but im grindin right now so im gonna have to wait for the mpc ect. I would say it works properly but I aint got a clue because i cant even get as far as loading a sample. Apart from that the LED is working as well as the sound. Here's the problem...

When I insert a floppy disk with samples and try to load them up I can't, instead of reading AL-1 or whatever it should say, the LED reads, "nofo". I searched google and aint findin anything if one of you could enlighten me that would be good

Akai_Remix-16.JPG

Comments

• Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    maybe ur disk or samples are the wrong format?
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    wow... you're really taking me back.

I remember selling these things when they came out and I almost bought one for myself to replace the Roland JS-30 I had at the time.

IIRC, they only read Akai format samples from the S1000/S1100, S900, S2000, and possibly the S01. The SCSI port (if yours has it) will allow you to load Akai format samples from a SCSI CDROM drive and I think the SCSI Zip100's are supported to save samples. If yours is stock, then it only has 2MB of RAM for samples, spring for a 16MB 72 pin SIMM on Ebay to get more sample time. I don't believe it samples at CD quality either, 32KHz is the best you'll get out of it, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. MIDI means you can connect it to your PC/MAC and control it from a sequencer.

IIRC, "nofo" means the disk isn't formatted ("not formatted").
  • Jsince90s
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for that brudda, i have the disks no and im about to take em to my bois yard to turn them into akai format, if i format the disks on the machine right now would that delete the files?
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Jsince90s wrote: »
    Thanks for that brudda, i have the disks no and im about to take em to my bois yard to turn them into akai format, if i format the disks on the machine right now would that delete the files?
    yeh - if you format them, anything on there will be erased
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Make your own sounds/

large_vinyl.jpg
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Make your own sounds...

vinyl2.jpg

large_vinyl.jpg

......lookin' at that sweet, sweet vinyl is like lookin' at a pretty ?
  • konceptjones
    edited September 2010
    Make your own sounds/

large_vinyl.jpg

^^^ This...

also, make sure your fam has an older Akai unit to format that disk. S1000, S2000, S3000 or something like that
  • Jsince90s
    edited September 2010
    Believe me im gonna make them sounds, for the past 2 weeks ive been dreamin of my future setup from sunrise to sun set, i can picture it now, mpc 2000xl, turntable, mixer, mic, laptop, FAT DANK and a hella vinyl.... only a matter of time n money ahhh
  • konceptjones
    edited September 2010
    on the low tho...

asrx.jpg

^^^ That's one of my all time favorite pieces of hardware.
  • Jsince90s
    edited September 2010
    Yeah i seen that on youtube, i tried to convert those wavs via the akai disk, but i think I might need an akai floppy instead of an odinary one because akai disk won't read the disc, am i right?