E-readers

Options
darryl_jenks
darryl_jenks Members Posts: 328
edited September 2010 in Growing Pains
Do any of you ? /niggettes use them for classes? I'm thinking about copping one for this fall because i usually spend over 700 dollars on books a semester and never use em.

Comments

• 100%Sagittarius
    100%Sagittarius Members Posts: 478
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I have one and I only use it for school because they are a Godsend. Downloading textbooks saves soooo much money, like you said, and being able to always have it with you so you can read during any downtime is great.

That being said, I don't really like it LOL. I prefer the tactile nature of books, writing notes, being able to highlight and turn pages. Plus, for me, it's just harder to read from a screen than a physical book. Like, the Nook from B & N, the words look weird and it's hard to read...feels like I'm reading through someone else's glasses or something.
  • darryl_jenks
    darryl_jenks Members Posts: 328
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I have one and I only use it for school because they are a Godsend. Downloading textbooks saves soooo much money, like you said, and being able to always have it with you so you can read during any downtime is great.

That being said, I don't really like it LOL. I prefer the tactile nature of books, writing notes, being able to highlight and turn pages. Plus, for me, it's just harder to read from a screen than a physical book. Like, the Nook from B & N, the words look weird and it's hard to read...feels like I'm reading through someone else's glasses or something.

Which one do you have?Some E-readers like the DX have a pretty decent sized screen. You should D/L the nook study application that will be availible this month, http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookstudy/coming_soon.asp?pid=34505 ,i don't know if you can use that app with books you've already purchased online/downloaded or if it's only applicable to e-books you buy from B&N.

I think some of the issues you are having won't apply to me because i rarely,if ever highlight passages/take notes in books,I'm something like a broke genius.
  • 100%Sagittarius
    100%Sagittarius Members Posts: 478
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Which one do you have?Some E-readers like the DX have a pretty decent sized screen. You should D/L the nook study application that will be availible this month, http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookstudy/coming_soon.asp?pid=34505 ,i don't know if you can use that app with books you've already purchased online/downloaded or if it's only applicable to e-books you buy from B&N.

I think some of the issues you are having won't apply to me because i rarely,if ever highlight passages/take notes in books,I'm something like a broke genius.

LOL @ bolded. I have a Kindle. It's one of the old ones though. The new Kindle seems like it would be worth getting- they look nice.

It's a matter of preference I suppose, because my dad loves his. He has no reason to take notes and highlight either. He just reads.
  • bayley
    bayley Members Posts: 4
    edited September 2010
    Options
    E ink displays that can display text and images in black and white contrast very high. If you look at the E Ink screen, it looks more like a printed page as text on a computer screen. Since the E-Ink display does not use a piece of pixel.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i wanna get one soooo bad