Losing the essence...

124»

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    I've been mad busy at work but I should have one ready before the weekend.

Props! Look forward to it!
  • theillestrator
    theillestrator Members Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    I used to regularly post on the essence before the make-over went down...however long ago that was. Anyway what the ? happened? This place used to be my spot to find the newest underground ? , now i dont see anything near the caliber of ? we used to post up. there practically no mention of anything underground here anymore. I see nothing about atmosphere, cage, murs, cunninlynguists, aesop rock, POS immortal technique, HISP, cyne, nujabes, shin-ski...the list goes on and on. Where are the true underground heads that used the make this place THE spot for the underground scene? It seems like the essence has lost the 'essence'...lets bring it back.

underground heads, backpackers...what you got?

wasn't on the IC back then, but i would much rather see the the essence continue than the main reason forum. by the way, shout out to anyone who supports ninjas.
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    edited July 2010
    Fashawn's album is really great and his live show was great as well. Made me a fan. Also digging the new FloBots cd as well as Marco Polo and Eternia and the new ILLUS and J.J. Brown album. Lot of great underground albums being made.
  • dj expanium
    dj expanium Confirm Email Posts: 3,581 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    ? don't care...
    Someone's got to make a change.
    still got the essence. Baraka Blue new album ft. Mos Def and many more www.barakabluemusic.com Download for free
    Thank you very much. I will give that a try.

I know I haven't been here in the essence for about couple of months, but I definitely don't want to lose it......just want to maintain. I've been in the Reason and noticed that (you already know) a lot of legends get trampled on/seen as nothing better than today's popular artists. I think it would be good to honor/pay homage to those legendary artists/emcees in the Essence forum, where I know that all the posters would definitely contribute good things about them. Hopefully, I can get more posters to come here as well by spreading. I will try to contribute some new music in here on at least a weekly basis just to keep it fresh. Don't be afraid to send me a message either, and I'll do the same as well. Peace!!!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    skeep wrote: »
    Fashawn's album is really great and his live show was great as well. Made me a fan. Also digging the new FloBots cd as well as Marco Polo and Eternia and the new ILLUS and J.J. Brown album. Lot of great underground albums being made.

Great that you're into Fashawn :tu Dude needs to drop a sophomore next year to really cement himself as someone for the future and not just an incredible debut...

Haven't checked out the FloBots CD what's that called?

I wasn't feeling the Marco Polo as much as other releases from this year and I felt his last LP was better... ILLUS is definitely nice though :tu
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    I know I haven't been here in the essence for about couple of months, but I definitely don't want to lose it......just want to maintain. I've been in the Reason and noticed that (you already know) a lot of legends get trampled on/seen as nothing better than today's popular artists. I think it would be good to honor/pay homage to those legendary artists/emcees in the Essence forum, where I know that all the posters would definitely contribute good things about them. Hopefully, I can get more posters to come here as well by spreading. I will try to contribute some new music in here on at least a weekly basis just to keep it fresh. Don't be afraid to send me a message either, and I'll do the same as well. Peace!!!!

Who do you mean by legendary emcees/artists? If it's someone from a mainstream label who has always been mainstream then they have to be designated in The Reason as of the rules of the site. But by all means, artists such as Masta Ace, A Tribe Called Quest to Binary Star, all have a place here, which is evident with our Roots thread too.

Threads with 2pac to Biggie etc. all belong in The Reason though, along with 95% of todays rap artists.

Thanks for your contribution, I remember you mentioning Fashawn's Ode to Illmatic if I remember correctly :tu

We'd appreciate new posters too :tu Who've you been listening to more recently?
  • dj expanium
    edited September 2010
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Who do you mean by legendary emcees/artists? If it's someone from a mainstream label who has always been mainstream then they have to be designated in The Reason as of the rules of the site. But by all means, artists such as Masta Ace, A Tribe Called Quest to Binary Star, all have a place here, which is evident with our Roots thread too.

Threads with 2pac to Biggie etc. all belong in The Reason though, along with 95% of todays rap artists.

Thanks for your contribution, I remember you mentioning Fashawn's Ode to Illmatic if I remember correctly :tu

We'd appreciate new posters too :tu Who've you been listening to more recently?

Fashawn's Ode to Illmatic, that was me. When I'm talking about legendary, I'm talking about Masta Ace, Rakim, Big L, Big Daddy Kane and others. They may have started in the mainstream, but now they're doing there own thing. 2Pac and Biggie will forever be remembered in the mainstream.

But here are the threads and feel free to contribute whoever can.

Masta Ace
    http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?63512-Masta-Ace-appreciation-thread

Big L
    http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?67154-Big-L-Appreciation-Thread&p=1279136#post1279136
  • dj expanium
    edited September 2010
    You know I tried to make a post last week to this thread, but it was awaiting a response from a moderator. But anyways I used to post in here a while back. I was trying to get the word about some appreciation threads about Big L and Masta Ace in the reason. Contribute to those if you can.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    You know I tried to make a post last week to this thread, but it was awaiting a response from a moderator. But anyways I used to post in here a while back. I was trying to get the word about some appreciation threads about Big L and Masta Ace in the reason. Contribute to those if you can.

Will do, I don't know why your post didn't come through, but it's there now.

All the artists you mentioned are fine to drop here, at the end of the day, we're a mini community and technically the likes of Masta Ace will never be played on radio stations everywhere.
  • dj expanium
    edited September 2010
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Will do, I don't know why your post didn't come through, but it's there now.

All the artists you mentioned are fine to drop here, at the end of the day, we're a mini community and technically the likes of Masta Ace will never be played on radio stations everywhere.
    That's a definite, but we can still show him love.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    That's a definite, but we can still show him love.

Definitely :tu

According to Wikipedia he has a new eMC album coming out this year, but I can't find anything about this...