Is the commercialization of "the thug" dead?

newyorkboi2001
newyorkboi2001 Banned Users Posts: 272
edited September 2010 in The Reason
The other day i went on jamaica avenue at gertz mall to shop. Its the first time in three years i been in the area. I remembered jamaica avenue being a place where young men who weren't thugs dressed in baggy pants, walked in a gangsta lean, talked with a tone which would be considered "thugged" like "ya no yadda mean type ? . Now when i visited jamaica i see kids swagger change. The commercialization of the thug had diminished. I barely seen any kids in rugged street wear, but wearing colorful tight clothing. I knew young people dressed this way, but i thought the hood still had people still down with the baggy.
I also noticed dudes swagga has changed. Instead of walking in a gangsta lean, they walk on some "pretty boy" ? . They no longer talk like "prodigy" but talk like usher. Some even talk like white people.
I think the thug image started dying when 50 lost the sales match to kanye. After that the thug started to diminish. I blame 50 for this. Dont get me wrong we still have fake elements of the thug, rick ross anyone? Real street hustlers still on the rugged ? , but it seems like kids these days wanna be more like usher and soulja boy than dmx and tupac

Comments

• P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    The thug image was put to the back seat for the homosexual image that ? wanna cover up as havin "style" or bein "different, no them ? is just ?
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    yea i remember when i was young we used to make fun of how white folks dressed with tight ass shirts and pants ? up looking vans tapered jeans and ? . Now black folks have adopted that ? . it's whatever i don't wear that ? so to each his own
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    the colliseum>>>>gertz
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    That is now played out I think we're in a era where the regular man is the it thing. You still have your Gucci's of the world though but they aren't as prevalent.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    jamacia wrote: »
    That is now played out I think we're in a era where the regular man is the it thing. You still have your Gucci's of the world though but they aren't as prevalent.

what does that mean?
  • 5th Letter
    edited September 2010
    what does that mean?

You still have rappers that use the thug image like Gucci, but a lot of the newer rappers (2006-present) are more common man, than thug or gangster.

Lupe Fiasco
    Joell Ortiz
    Soulja Boy
    Drake
    Kid Cudi
    Charles Hamilton
    Wale
    J Cole
    Asher Roth

Just to name a few.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010

what u mean? Gucci wear ? ass ? too.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    You still have rappers that use the thug image like Gucci, but a lot of the newer rappers (2006-present) are more common man, than thug or gangster.

Lupe Fiasco
    Joell Ortiz
    Soulja Boy
    Drake
    Kid Cudi
    Charles Hamilton
    Wale
    J Cole
    Asher Roth

Just to name a few.

Soulja Boy think he a gangsta too now. what are u talkin bout?
  • 5th Letter
    edited September 2010
    what u mean? Gucci wear ? ass ? too.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
    Soulja Boy think he a gangsta too now. what are u talkin bout?

not to my knowledge but you may be right.
  • BackInWhite
    edited September 2010
    i don't think it can be classified as using the thug image when you've killed a ?
  • 5th Letter
    edited September 2010
    i don't think it can be classified as using the thug image when you've killed a ?

so if you haven't killed a man then it's an image?
  • BackInWhite
    edited September 2010
    so if you haven't killed a man then it's an image?

if that's the logic you wanna use
    but you know everything in life ain't so black and white
    i'm just saying if you done murdered a ? then the thug image may not be just an image for you
  • RayLY
    RayLY Members Posts: 339
    edited September 2010
    Thank ? for that.
  • 5th Letter
    edited September 2010
    if that's the logic you wanna use
    but you know everything in life ain't so black and white
    i'm just saying if you done murdered a ? then the thug image may not be just an image for you

Yeah you living it but it's also an image you are portraying. Just because you ? a man it doesn't mean it also has to be your rap gimmick.
  • BackInWhite
    edited September 2010
    Yeah you living it but it's also an image you are portraying. Just because you ? a man it doesn't mean it also has to be your rap gimmick.

murder is a gimmick?
  • 5th Letter
    edited September 2010
    murder is a gimmick?

I give up.
  • BackInWhite
    edited September 2010
    I give up.

lol i'm just sayin maybe its not a gimmick
    maybe that's just who the ? is
    and to be honest gucci hardly ever talks about that ?
    not to say he doesn't
    but its not whole songs or verses dedicated to it
  • 5th Letter
    edited September 2010
    yeah I get what you're saying but it seems like you not getting my point. Let me use an example if I'm a plumber and I make songs about plumbing and my rapper name is the plumber man, that is my gimmick although I really do plumbing in real life. So yeah Gucci sold drugs and killed a man, he could easily be a gospel rapper with that same background.
  • BackInWhite
    edited September 2010
    yeah I get what you're saying but it seems like you not getting my point. Let me use an example if I'm a plumber and I make songs about plumbing and my rapper name is the plumber man, that is my gimmick although I really do plumbing in real life. So yeah Gucci sold drugs and killed a man, he could easily be a gospel rapper with that same background.

gotcha
    plumber man
    ? said he make songs about plumbing
    hilarious