Kendrick Lamar - O(verly) D(edicated) First Listen Impressions...

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in The Essence
20100904-KENDRICKOD.jpg

After hearing his E.P, I was highly anticipating this album... and I have to say, it's up there with my top 10 albums of this year... but it's not how I expected it to be...

On the Kendrick Lamar EP, Kendrick touches on subject matter that searches the soul of a young man, growing up, questioning the world and his beliefs... a year later and Kendrick seems to have an improved flow and really ramps it up on a few tracks to the point where hairs begin to stand up, from your neck to your wrists... and with punchlines like 'I don't hit women, so I bite 'em instead' it's easy to see that his talent still stands tall.

In all honesty though, after first listen... I think his EP just wins this one out... I enjoy the mellow beats that appear on his EP, where as they're a rare occurrence here... supporting 'Ignorance is Bliss' rather than 'Let me be Me'... I think the acceptance of his EP has led to his self approval of doing his thing rather than asking to do so... and with that said, he comes with an album that's mixed and doesn't have a clear footing like a Boy Meets World (Fashawn)

What's clear after first listen though, this album is worth the £4.49... and will be in heavy rotation, along with his EP.

---

Be interesting to see if my thoughts change as I continue to listen...

Comments