Medal of Honor Controversy Hits Fox News

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in IllGaming
This episode actually aired a few weeks ago, but don't remember it being posted, and since the game will be dropping soon...

Here's Karen Meredith, a Gold Star mother who lost her son in Iraq six years ago. Her beef with Medal of Honor is, more or less, that it's disrespectful. And that it's coming out at a time when the U.S. is having a bad month in Afghanistan.

This segment aired on Fox & Friends and, despite the network's poor rep with gamers thanks to past treatments, its handling does come in pretty fair and balanced.

Thoughts?

Comments

• focus
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The Fox News anchor does point out the Taliban component is part of the game's multiplayer mode, but he doesn't really differentiate that the single player game - the story being told - is entirely the U.S. perspective...although I'm not sure that detail would mean much to this woman.

I just don't think this woman gets it that the multiplayer only concerns the hat you wear. Taliban fighters in MOH multiplayer are not fighting for a cause, and neither are the Americans. The alternative to a playable Taliban is, what exactly? U.S. soldiers shooting each other?
  • focus
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Electronic Arts Buckles Under Pressure, Removes Playable Taliban from Medal of Honor
    By Brian Crecente
    Oct 1, 2010 07:24 AM

Electronic Arts Buckles Under Pressure, Removes Playable Taliban from Medal of HonorResponding to the reaction of the "friends and families of fallen soldiers," Electronic Arts today said today they are removing the Taliban as playable characters from their upcoming military shooter Medal of Honor.

The opposing force that the U.S. military take on in Afghanistan in multiplayer bouts is now called the "opposing force."

Medal of Honor came under intense pressure from the military after it became known that in the multiplayer portions of the game, players would be able to take on the role of Taliban fighters.

In early September, the commanding general of the Army and Air Force Exchange Services told Kotaku that he decided to have Medal of Honor pulled from U.S. military bases worldwide because of the "well-documented reports of depictions of Taliban fighters engaging American troops" in the game.

Electronic Arts declined to comment at the time about whether the decision by the Army & Air Force Exchange Services would impact the design of the game.

In a statement this morning on the Medal of Honor website, Greg Goodrich, executive producer of Medal of Honor, said the decision to drop the Taliban reference was driven purely by the feedback from friends and families of fallen soldiers.

"This is a very important voice to the Medal of Honor team," he wrote. "This is a voice that has earned the right to be listened to. It is a voice that we care deeply about. Because of this, and because the heartbeat of Medal of Honor has always resided in the reverence for American and Allied soldiers, we have decided to rename the opposing team in Medal of Honor multiplayer from Taliban to Opposing Force."

Goodrich said the change will not directly affect gamers or alter gameplay.

Here is Goodrich's statement in full:

In the past few months, we have received feedback from all over the world regarding the multiplayer portion of Medal of Honor. We've received notes from gamers, active military, and friends and family of servicemen and women currently deployed overseas. The majority of this feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. For this, the Medal of Honor team is deeply appreciative.

However, we have also received feedback from friends and families of fallen soldiers who have expressed concern over the inclusion of the Taliban in the multiplayer portion of our game. This is a very important voice to the Medal of Honor team. This is a voice that has earned the right to be listened to. It is a voice that we care deeply about. Because of this, and because the heartbeat of Medal of Honor has always resided in the reverence for American and Allied soldiers, we have decided to rename the opposing team in Medal of Honor multiplayer from Taliban to Opposing Force.

While this change should not directly affect gamers, as it does not fundamentally alter the gameplay, we are making this change for the men and women serving in the military and for the families of those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice - this franchise will never willfully disrespect, intentionally or otherwise, your memory and service.

To all who serve - we appreciate you, we thank you, and we do not take you for granted. And to the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines currently serving overseas, stay safe and come home soon.

We have reached out to Electronic Arts and the Army & Air Force Exchange Services to see how this decision will impact the availability of the game on military bases worldwide and will update when we hear back.

http://kotaku.com/5653024/electronic-arts-buckles-under-pressure-removes-taliban-from-medal-of-honor
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    This game is horrible I know it was just a beta but this game is super wack, dont NOT buy this game
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ? fox news republican ? !!
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Another FPS ............
  • joshuaboy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Videogame analysts have criticised EA for renaming Medal of Honor's Taliban faction to Opposing Force, one even accusing the US company of "caving in".

Today EA confirmed it had dropped the Taliban moniker for the faction that fights against Allied forces in the multiplayer section of the game.

It said it took the decision in response to feedback from soldiers and their families.

"I'm a little surprised and disappointed," Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter told Eurogamer.

"I think that the political pressure is pretty silly, and don't think most gamers care. While it's definitely in bad taste to play as the Taliban, it's historically accurate to portray the conflict as having two sides, and technically appropriate to allow a player to play either side.

"The crazy thing is that there has been no uproar about the ability to play the Nazis in Call of Duty multiplayer, and that's been offered for a long time.

"Nobody can claim that the Taliban are any more evil than the Nazis, but apparently the Politically Correct police don't care about bad guys from their parents' or grandparents' generation.

"My preference is to see developers make games the way that they want, and to let the market decide if it's a good idea or a bad idea. In this case, the backlash wasn't from the gaming community, but from the press, and I think it's a mistake to cave in.

"For the record, I'm not a fan of the Taliban, and wouldn't mind seeing them fight the Nazis in a game, so that no matter who wins, one of them always loses - sort of like Alien vs. Predator."

Last month EA CEO John Riccitiello blamed the controversy surrounding Medal of Honor on the media.

"No one noticed [the game] ... until a journalist decided to put the game box in front of a mom who'd lost her son in Afghanistan to create some controversy," he said. "I think that says more about the newspapers than it does the game industry."

Colin Sebastian, of Lazard Capital Markets, said EA "probably wants to have its cake and eat it too".

"The game has already benefited from a lot of free publicity from the Taliban issue, and so they can now take the high road and remove that label from the game.

"On the other hand, I suspect they also don't want to take the risk that the issue blows out of proportion and distracts from the other qualities of the game."

Jesse Divnich, vice president of Capital Research at EEDAR, labelled EA's decision "absurd".

"Personally, I would have implemented at least the option to toggle between the word Taliban and OpFor.

"And what is most absurd about all of this is simply a name, a seven letter word. They are not changing how the game looks, plays, or feels, they are simply doing a 'Find All: Taliban, Replace With: OpFor'.

"I hope those who opposed Medal of Honor's release woke up this morning with a smile on their face, only to look themselves in the mirror and realize how hallow of a victory they've truly won."

Medal of Honor will release for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on 15th October.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-01-analysts-criticise-eas-moh-taliban-cut
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Game looks wack as ? ..........i mean, that one screenshot with the dude aiming the rifle looks like it came from Counter Strike lmfao

smh @ EA puttin out games w/ Dreamcast graphics in 2010
  • DaFifthElement
    DaFifthElement Members Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    lmao..wont be buying..played the beta just for the hell of it...
  • zoomzoomp5
    zoomzoomp5 Members Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i know alot of people dont got their sights on this game but here's a multiplayer vid. i personally like so its a first day grab for me.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    zoomzoomp5 wrote: »
    i know alot of people dont got their sights on this game but here's a multiplayer vid. i personally like so its a first day grab for me.

damn....that ? looks hectic.....I would cop but I'm not tryin to be bogged down in first person shooters....already coppin Call Of Duty: ? Ops and KZ3 when it drops....
  • joshuaboy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    damn....that ? looks hectic.....I would cop but I'm not tryin to be bogged down in first person shooters....already coppin Call Of Duty: ? Ops and KZ3 when it drops....

lol lol lol

But I agree. Only FPS's I'm getting are Borderlands: GOTY Edition and KZ3. Can't deal with the same old same old ?
  • DatGuyJ22
    DatGuyJ22 Members Posts: 1,093
    edited October 2010
    Options
    lol @ the comments on the video

? need to shut up though