Historical Progress

Options
Skeratch
Skeratch Members Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in The Social Lounge
How do you view human progress through history?

Are we gradually improving, staying the same, or declining?

Comments

• shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Some aspects improve while others decline. And in the short term, most leaps of progress are followed by a backlash and some reverse movement. In the end, I guess it matters how you measure progress, but I think that looking at all of human history, we see a net improvement over time.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited October 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    Some aspects improve while others decline. And in the short term, most leaps of progress are followed by a backlash and some reverse movement. In the end, I guess it matters how you measure progress, but I think that looking at all of human history, we see a net improvement over time.

This right here...
  • universaltruth
    universaltruth Members Posts: 193
    edited October 2010
    Options
    All progress comes with a cost, with every positive effect comes a negative one.
  • Skeratch
    edited October 2010
    Options

We've definitely improved the length and quality of human life - but we've also improved our efficiency at killing on another. The twentieth century was an orgy of violence and genocide and I remember reading somewhere that humans have been consistently killing the same percentage of the overall population throughout history. So I'd definitely agree with what you're saying - we've improved in a lot of areas but we've also stayed the same.
  • shootemwon
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Skeratch wrote: »
    We've definitely improved the length and quality of human life - but we've also improved our efficiency at killing on another. The twentieth century was an orgy of violence and genocide and I remember reading somewhere that humans have been consistently killing the same percentage of the overall population throughout history. So I'd definitely agree with what you're saying - we've improved in a lot of areas but we've also stayed the same.

As long as we're going to keep killing, I'd consider more efficient killing an improvement. I mean, I'd rather get shot in the head than crucified.
  • Skeratch
    edited October 2010
    Options
    As long as we're going to keep killing, I'd consider more efficient killing an improvement. I mean, I'd rather get shot in the head than crucified.

True, but we've also improved in our torture - despite what international laws might say. Of course, some areas of the world are worse than others.

And we're still killing one another in painful ways - machetes, fire, landmines, gas, and so on.
  • shootemwon
    edited October 2010
    Options
    True, but we've also improved in our torture

Improved how? Do you mean that we've improved torture in a good way (more efficient, less messy) or a bad way (more painful, more horrifying)?

Torture is torture, and it's wrong, but with that said, waterboarding, bad as it may be, can't possibly be worse than that medieval torture ? that used to go down.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Improved how? Do you mean that we've improved torture in a good way (more efficient, less messy) or a bad way (more painful, more horrifying)?

Torture is torture, and it's wrong, but with that said, waterboarding, bad as it may be, can't possibly be worse than that medieval torture ? that used to go down.

True waterboarding is nothing compared to some other forms of torture
  • Skeratch
    edited October 2010
    Options

I mean more painful and horrifying. The USA certainly doesn't perform the worst types of torture. With our advanced knowledge of anatomy and psychology and improved technology, torture methods have become even more excruciating than in medieval times.
  • rick.flair
    rick.flair Members Posts: 14
    edited October 2010
    Options
    if you don't have anyone to go with you, try going out of the house say once an hour every day. first, take a step out of house and stand there for a few seconds and go back in. next time take a couple more steps. slowly make it so that you can make it to the street, then to the end of the block, then around the block. then, slowly make it to more social situations, such as a store. to make it a little easier you can try going to a 24 hour store (like walmart) in the middle of the night. there are a lot less people around at that time of night (as long as the darkness doesn't make your anxiety worse).
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Are we gradually improving, staying the same, or declining?
    our tanks have continually gotten cooler and cooler over time

verdict: gradually improving
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    if you look at a graph of the human population, you should be able to tell that some big ? is inevitable

this growth is not sustainable
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    We advance technologically, but socially and spiritually we have regressed. Yeah we may live longer but usually the latter years are racked with prolonged suffering and drug use. The Family structure has taken a hit, tremendously. People are generally, very selfish, inconsiderate, and less informed.

People are stressed out because to maintain their material comfort they have to work longer hours which is creating crushing debt.

We have more "stuff", but we don't have more peace of mind. Which "stuff" was supposed to facilitate by making our lives easier.

Life was more peaceful without a cell phone.

Eff, an Iphone.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options

The best way to go is guillotine or beheading. The severed head can not transmit pain sensory perception once removed.

That's if the executioner is thorough and not Sam the Butcher.
  • Skeratch
    edited October 2010
    Options
    rick.flair wrote: »
    if you don't have anyone to go with you, try going out of the house say once an hour every day. first, take a step out of house and stand there for a few seconds and go back in. next time take a couple more steps. slowly make it so that you can make it to the street, then to the end of the block, then around the block. then, slowly make it to more social situations, such as a store. to make it a little easier you can try going to a 24 hour store (like walmart) in the middle of the night. there are a lot less people around at that time of night (as long as the darkness doesn't make your anxiety worse).

Shut yer bleeding mouf, ya barmy blighter.
    janklow wrote: »
    our tanks have continually gotten cooler and cooler over time

verdict: gradually improving

A very valid point.
    if you look at a graph of the human population, you should be able to tell that some big ? is inevitable

this growth is not sustainable

Some demographers believe that the population growth is self-correcting - that growth will slow to a basic replacement rate and stay there once humanity has reached its peak population. I'm not convinced by this, resources are finite.
    And Step wrote: »
    We advance technologically, but socially and spiritually we have regressed. Yeah we may live longer but usually the latter years are racked with prolonged suffering and drug use. The Family structure has taken a hit, tremendously. People are generally, very selfish, inconsiderate, and less informed.

People are stressed out because to maintain their material comfort they have to work longer hours which is creating crushing debt.

We have more "stuff", but we don't have more peace of mind. Which "stuff" was supposed to facilitate by making our lives easier.

Life was more peaceful without a cell phone.

Eff, an Iphone.

More stuff and less time.