Scorsese on board to do "Goodfellas" TV Series

shootemwon
shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/2010/10/27/martin_scorsese_on_board_with_nicholas_pileggi_warner_bros._for_goodfellas_
With the success of his and Terrence Winter‘s HBO series “Boardwalk Empire,” Martin Scorsese‘s venture into cable television definitely looks like it has the potential to expand. There were reports of a planned television series based on the director’s 1990 gangster classic “Goodfellas,” with the film’s scribe Nicholas Pileggi in the process of writing for a pilot and potentially more, but Scorsese’s involvement in that was still in question at the time.

Speaking with the U.K.‘s Culture Magazine (via Digital Spy) though, Pileggi has confirmed that Scorsese is in fact on board, adding that the script will likely be set in a time before the rise of mobster Henry Hill, played in the original feature by Ray Liotta. “We’re trying (to develop the TV series). I want to do it, Marty wants to do it, Warner Bros wants to do it,” Pileggi revealed. “Of course, you can’t pick up from ‘Goodfellas,’ since we murdered everybody, or rather, everybody was murdered! There’s nobody left. But I think we’re going to figure out a way to do the early years - sort of a prequel. The part of the movie people often like best is the opening third, where all the funny stuff is happening, and there’s so much we could fit in.”

Pileggi’s words make it sound like the project hasn’t quite gotten the go-ahead, but we’re sure once a direction comes through that Warner Bros. is pleased with, development will begin in earnest. No word yet on what role Scorsese will play in the project—whether he’ll just advise, produce or actually step behind the camera—but, no doubt, there’ll be more to come from this as the show’s development progresses. The track record of feature-films-turned-television-shows isn’t exactly reassuring but with the high-caliber teaming of writer, director and original producer Irwin Winkler, surely this one’s in safe hands?

Not sure what to make of this, really. I think Martin might be a little too giddy over how great Boardwalk Empire has been going, and now diving into something that might not be the best idea. It's gonna be a prequel to the film, so they obviously need to get all new actors to play the same characters, which can only mean disappointment and criticism when you think about it. In fact, the entire thing sets itself up to be a disappointment for fans, so there's no room for error.

I'd definitely check it out though.

Comments

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    He should just focus on Boardwalk Empire
  • shootemwon
    edited October 2010

Well, this is still early stages, so I'd imagine that at least through the end of Boardwalk's first season, he won't be spending much time on this thing, but I generally tend to agree with you. He has a real winner with BE, and unlike a feature film, Boardwalk will face intense scrutiny week after week, and must continue to deliver for 3 straight months.

But more importantly, I just think a TV show based on a classic movie is a recipe for disaster and disappointment, so I don't see why he's even going to take the risk when he already has the hottest show on television. Boardwalk should be enough to keep him content for now.
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010

Word it's been good so far but IMO it's still not Spranos by a longshot.
  • shootemwon
    edited October 2010
    allied wrote: »
    Word it's been good so far but IMO it's still not Spranos by a longshot.

I disagree. I actually think that Boardwalk is shaping up to be better than the Sopranos, but I'm sort of biased because I really love the 1920's setting. Don't get me wrong though, The Sopranos kind of gave birth to this whole generation of amazing shows we now have, but I feel like The Wire, Mad Men and now Boardwalk Empire, have all built upon the foundation that The Sopranos established, and give us a better, more perfected viewing experience than The Sopranos.

Boardwalk and the Sopranos will inevitably always be compared because of the mutual element of organized crime, so here's an interesting way to look at it. The Sopranos showed us organized crime dying as we know it. Tony and his cohorts were well aware that their way of life was on its way out, and that they showed up too late to reach the "Godfather" ideal that they all idolized. Boardwalk, on the other hand, is pre-"Godfather". These guys are the pioneers of organized crime as we know it, and few (if any) will last long enough to enjoy the fruits of their labor. The two shows are the two generations, on opposite ends, that missed out on all the best stuff.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    lol @ yall giving an Oscar Winning Director with decades of experience career advice.
  • sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Prequel? The film already explained the early years, and rise of Henry.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    sounds like a really bad idea
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Where the money for vet directors is now... cable/pay per view tv

Spielberg and R. Scott all have projects for TV coming soon... now Marty

IDK about 'Fellas though... I think it should be left alone
  • shootemwon
    edited October 2010
    lol @ yall giving an Oscar Winning Director with decades of experience career advice.

Shut up you ? degenerate. It ain't career advice. It's fan feedback.
  • shootemwon
    edited October 2010
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Where the money for vet directors is now... cable/pay per view tv

Spielberg and R. Scott all have projects for TV coming soon... now Marty
    That's just how things are going these days. And not without reason. If you can name a movie better than the the TV series The Wire you'd be naming a movie I've never seen. Television is now on a level that wasn't imaginable just 5 years ago.
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    IDK about 'Fellas though... I think it should be left alone
    My gut reaction is to agree with you here.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    he shouldnt use the goodfellas name in the story. but maybe a show with Paul Cicero and Jimmy the Gent coming up wouldnt be too bad.
  • shootemwon
    edited October 2010
    he shouldnt use the goodfellas name in the story. but maybe a show with Paul Cicero and Jimmy the Gent coming up wouldnt be too bad.

Yeah that's a good point. Using the name Goodfellas is just settin up for negative fan feedback when it premieres. I actually think it would go over better if it wasn't a prequel, but rather just a show set prior to Goodfellas in which younger versions of those characters are part of the cast, but that's not the sole focus of the show.

Kinda like Boardwalk Empire basically includes a "prequel" story for Al Capone (as we know him), but the show is really about Nucky and AC. Al and Chicago are a subplot.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    sdca wrote: »
    Prequel? The film already explained the early years, and rise of Henry.

..........yeah, this. What's the point? "The Rise of Paulie"? Who gives a ? about that?

If he wants to do a mafia show, just do a mafia show.
  • shootemwon
    edited October 2010
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    If he wants to do a mafia show, just do a mafia show.

True. A mafia-themed show might be a nice break from his involvement with boardwalk empire, which totally doesn't already focus largely on the mafia.

Man, you got Boardwalk Empire. Just don't do this other show.
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    I LOVE Goodfellas, but I'm not looking forward to this at all.
    I just don't wanna be let down.