Battle of the Mixtapes: J. Cole and Drake

Options
Kame
Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in The Face Off Forum
Yea I know what yall thinking, "not this ? again". ? it im one of those people who hates the comparison myself. But to tell you the truth, at this point in they're careers they are pretty similar...

ladies love em

lightskin

similar subject matter (look bigger picture cole stans, don't nitpick here)

and most importantly, they both have 3 official mixtapes under their belts

Who do you guys think has the best mixtape series, honest discussion

Here are some guidelines...

act as if drake is pre Young Money signing, pre Thank me Later, pre classic Drake/Lil wayne gif thread...

no stanning, honest discussion of lyrics and subject matter, no talking bout production on this one

Here are some tracks from each mistape to help you decide, if you think there are better tracks I could have posted, please feel free to post them

Comments

• Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The Come up

Room for Improvement......................................
  • Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The Warm Up............................
    Comeback Season..............................................
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ya'll already know what im gonna say

coles mixtapes > drakes
  • Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Friday Night Lights...........................................
    So Far Gone.................................
  • t. webb
    t. webb Members Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Not this ? again.....
  • Dfence
    Dfence Members Posts: 50
    edited November 2010
    Options
    i didnt like the come up so even tho im not a drake fan ill give him room for improvement
    the warm up vs comeback season?? warm up all the way homie. lights please> any track on comeback season imo
    friday night lights was also killa and so much more hard hitting and meaningfull than drakes affort.
    j.cole=2, drake=1
    j.cole the winner
  • CollegeBoi12
    CollegeBoi12 Members Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    In my opinion, they both have dropped great mixtapes.

The Warmup>>>>Room for Improvement
    The Comeup<<<<Comeback Season
    Friday Night Lights=So Far Gone
  • Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    t. webb wrote: »
    Not this ? again.....

LOLL this is different, in depth analysis b
  • Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ya'll already know what im gonna say

coles mixtapes > drakes

Nothing wrong with the statement, now just defend it
  • Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I got room for improvement over the come up

comeback and warm up are real close for me

FNL, even though so far gone stays getting played for the past year
  • DetroitPlayaa
    DetroitPlayaa Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Come up >> Room for Improvement
    Warm up < Comeback season (this one is hard for me)
    Friday night lights >>>>> So far gone (Friday night lights is easily the best mixtape on this list imo) maybe im saying that because its new though.
  • Dfence
    Dfence Members Posts: 50
    edited November 2010
    Options
    FNL, even though so far gone stays getting played for the past year
    really?. i personally thought that mixtape was ? and havn't played it since the first listen. it was just too party themed, all about ? super model hoes n ? that i couldnt relate to
    i guess thats why i like cole better overall. i can undertsand and relate to alot more of the stuff he's rappin about
  • Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Dfence wrote: »
    really?. i personally thought that mixtape was ? and havn't played it since the first listen. it was just too party themed, all about ? super model hoes n ? that i couldnt relate to
    i guess thats why i like cole better overall. i can undertsand and relate to alot more of the stuff he's rappin about

Word its a guilty pleasure of mine, there were a couple of gems in there though...
  • WildcatOffense
    WildcatOffense Members Posts: 961
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Cole world got me sneezing.
  • missjcapri
    missjcapri Members Posts: 1,418
    edited November 2010
    Options
    In my opinion, they both have dropped great mixtapes.

The Warmup>>>>Room for Improvement
    The Comeup<<<<Comeback Season
    Friday Night Lights=So Far Gone

I actually agree with this.......
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Drake got it...
  • Fly society513
    Fly society513 Members Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    drake's first two mixtapes are slightly better than cole's first 2 imo. I thought drake spit the hardest on room for improvement. So far gone was one of the best mixtapes that year but I think Friday night lights is better than that. If drake was still spittin like rfi and cbs he would be even as j cole. But cole is lyrically killing him. And will continue to ? we will never hear that drake again
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    cole get's my vote but these drake track were dope
  • Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    The Warmup >>> Room For Improvement, Comeback Season was better than the Comeup IMO & im sorry ? but Friday Night Lights ? on So Far Gone. I know a lot of ? will say that J.Cole is way better an MC than Drake b/c Drake is commercial blahblah but one thing u have to consider is that Drake does have a platinum album under his belt & can (& has proven) write hit records consistently. Meanwhile Cole has none to his credit. Now suure there are tons of mixtapes that are better than albums but there are even MORE mixtape rappers that were never successful commercially & failed when they tried to make the transition. Im not sayin thats what Cole is or can be that - im just tryna be fair w/ the comparisons. They do however spit about the same ? tho (? ur ? , wanting the money & fame, problems w/ fame, ? not being real, etc.) & they do have similarities.

J.Cole's success imo will be riding on the mood & attitude of where rap is going in 2011 and beyond. It seems like ? is going back to how it was in the 90s.... if thats the case then J.Cole will not only receive critical acclaim & a grammy he'll get the sales too.

For now tho I think its too early to compare the two - give J.Cole time to actually drop successful records and ALBUMS THEN compare the two. I'll be honest with u up until Friday Night Lights I couldnt play a whole mixtape by dude the way I could Thank Me Later w/o fast forwarding. ? wanna compare the two off of nostalgia of what Nas & Jay-Z were when they were young cuz finally HipHop has a breath of fresh air which is a good sign right now.

LOL great post, but I wanted to compare them off purely mixtape material, forget about TMl and all that other ? with drake...