Is Kanye West a Bigger and Better Star/Artist Than Jay-Z ?

1235»

Comments

• SCRATCHOFF
    SCRATCHOFF Members Posts: 688
    edited November 2010
    I think this boils down to if you as a rap fan believe a rapper needs a drug/crime past to be considered a great rapper... So people believe this rather they say it or not... Kanye is hella middle class and to some that makes him rap lite...
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    I never realized how big of a star kanye has become until i saw pitchfork's review of his new album. I have never seen them give a hip hop album over an 8 and they usually ? on them (they gave eminem's new cd like a 4). But this does not mean its all good for yeezy. As with all rappers once they become popular in the mainstream, the hip hop heads start to turn their back on them calling them sellouts or whatever. Jay-z says it perfectly in his life from light up, "And since no good deed go unpunished, Im not as cool with n-ggas as I once was, I once was cool as the funds was, but these bright lights turned me to a monster." I think right now kanye is bigger than jay just based off the year he has had but when people look back on this era of hip hop jay-z will be much higher on the hierachy than kanye. Jay-Z is just a much better rapper than kanye, kanye is crazy with what he is able to do in the studio but when it comes to flat out bars jay-z's got kanye beat. So basically kanye will as big or bigger a star but not a better rapper.

Pitchfork give a lot of Hip Hop albums scores of over 8. Waka Flocka, Big Boi, Rick Ross, Das Racist, Curren$y, etc. and now Kanye West to name a few off the top of my head that have had scores of 8 or over this year.
  • 2pacnbiggie
    2pacnbiggie Members Posts: 263 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Kanye been a bigger and better star than jay z since Late Registration
  • efsmutton
    efsmutton Members Posts: 122
    edited November 2010
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    Kanye has been bigger artist than Jay Z since 2007. ? ? sucking Jay Z ? . He hasnt done anything for hip hop since his return. 3 lackluster albums. recurring publicity stunts. the camel star power is on fumes. he always needs an event to ride off of. 2006 was his "BIG" return. 2007 was piggybacking off of Denzel and American Gangster movie. 2008 was his marriage to that ? . 2009 he needed alicia keys to get a #1 single and rapped over the same production as Kesha/Gaga. We cant forget that Kanye EXECUTIVE PRODUCED the BP3 album and now he wants to do a joint album with Kanye. Kanye has done more for Jay Z career than Jay Z has done for his own since his return.

You mad out here huh?
  • efsmutton
    efsmutton Members Posts: 122
    edited November 2010
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    Jay Z cant and wont be on top forever. Aint you jigga warriors always talking about progression. well thats what time is doing and also the generation is doing. my gen x are turning into the old heads. the 90s crackbabies are getting older and now these millenium x pill babies are going to be the voice and mainstream representatives of hip hop. ? born after 93-94 dont give a ? about Jay Z or what he has done. his history holds no weight. these ? like drake and new boyz and wiz etc etc. Jay Z lane has come to a close. now he will know what its like to have your legacy ignored and overshadowed like the birth era/golden era mcs that we act like never exisited.

Eminem>Jay Z
    Kanye>Jay Z
    Wayne>Jay Z

You mad huh?
  • Knightryder
    Knightryder Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    jay has consistency.... at the end of the day

he outlasted all them ? like dmx, nelly, 50 cents and etc....and still going

got a give the ? respect

and 1 year i can argue about jayz actually being on top was 98.....

hard knock life sold 5 mil.....

dmx drop 2 albums and them ? still aint sell 5 mil
    i think the 1st drop 4 mil, and his second drop 4 mil......

can u inagine if jayz dropped vol.3 in 98, he probably would of sold another 5 mil, off the single big pimpin alone....

regardless jayz owned 98
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    efsmutton wrote: »
    You mad huh?

not mad but confused on how a ? that raps about the same ? for 14 years can even be compared to Kanye. We have never seen a Kanye before but we have seen Jay Z through Kane, Jaz, and Biggie. after all Jay Z bites biggies lines. there is nothing original about the camel.
  • imalwaysgonkeepit100
    imalwaysgonkeepit100 Members Posts: 23
    edited November 2010
    jay-z own 09(thats like his first year on top), dude was everywhere(even though the albums was to good)
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    kanye has cross appeal. jay-z is finally gaining cross appeal. :)
  • weezyfgarbage
    weezyfgarbage Members Posts: 1,673
    edited November 2010
    birdcall89 wrote: »
    jay was retired 03-07ish though. he wasnt too relevant or popular then.

Black Album dropped late 03, then that collision course EP dropped late 04, and kingdom come was 06...so the only year he was doing nothing was 2005. Your math is off...
  • runningwolf1980
    runningwolf1980 Members Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    kanye has better live shows.....i feel he cares more about how his show is percieved
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Jay Z would be more relevant if he could actually work with J Cole and do something original to market his roc nation label instead of clinging on to ? strap. he doesnt have half of the enthusaism that kanye has for his good music artists. kid cudi just did 200k 1st week. Cole on the shelf and whip your hair ? is played out. dude aint no ? hustler. he can take over cities and countries in his drug days but cant even push a rap artist with all the connects and resources he has