How do you clear your mind before and during prayer/meditation?

Options
DRO
DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
I have a short attention span.. I will be praying and something will happen

either

1. I'll dose off ( yeah i need to pray earlier and don’t do it in the bed)
2. Start thinking bout sex
3. Start having random thoughts about stuff that happened that day
4. My imagination will just run wild with unbelievable stuff...

Its times where i will just stop praying and just start over because of the thoughts i be having...

What's yall method?

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    You have a short attention span because your mind is like a spoiled rotten child who doesn't listen. Find one thing to concentrate on, it doesn't matter how many times the mind tries to wander and do it's own thing, as soon as you become aware of it's wanderings, bring it back to the 'one' thing you picked to concentrate on(eventually your duration of concentration should increase). The things you say your mind does when you attempt to concentrate are diversion tactics to impede you from controlling your own mind.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I have a short attention span.. I will be praying and something will happen

either

1. I'll dose off ( yeah i need to pray earlier and don’t do it in the bed)
    2. Start thinking bout sex
    3. Start having random thoughts about stuff that happened that day
    4. My imagination will just run wild with unbelievable stuff...

Its times where i will just stop praying and just start over because of the thoughts i be having...

What's yall method?

I used to do the same thing. Then I would just listen to classical music while praying, it worked but not all the time. I think too much, I think a lot, I'm thinking of many things 24/7. The things I think of, I dream of. I'm constantly wandering in my mind thinking, asking, answering etc. I couldn't ever really pray right lol but yeah, classical music worked for the most part.
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited November 2010
    Options
    You have a short attention span because your mind is like a spoiled rotten child who doesn't listen. Find one thing to concentrate on, it doesn't matter how many times the mind tries to wander and do it's own thing, as soon as you become aware of it's wanderings, bring it back to the 'one' thing you picked to concentrate on(eventually your duration of concentration should increase). The things you say your mind does when you attempt to concentrate are diversion tactics to impede you from controlling your own mind.

Yup...

also, it takes practice and focus just like anything else.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    A disciple of bayazid once said to him: 'it wonders me that someone that accepts ? , doesn't go to religiouspractice in the mosk'. bayazid replied: It makes me wonder that someone who knows ? and worhsips ? doesn't get ripped of his consiounce/mind, when he makes his ritual powerless'.

imo, never pray if you are not being sincere, don't pray because you have to pray....don't dance with your ego and fool yourself into praying if you cannot be sincere. Your sincerity should slap you in the face once you realize this/going to pray. Don't ever make ur mind/soul etc depend on systematic things.