What yall think??

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Quincy Jones makes music from nothing

Kanye West build on someone elses template

Quincy Jones is Da Vinci, he creates masterpieces from nothing (Mona Lisa), what Kanye West is, is Duchamp (draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa). You can't compare ? who know how to compose music from nothing to dudes who build on other peoples music.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Producers like Kanye West will become the standard for the future music industry(take that how you will). Quincy Jones is obsolete. We can discuss his talents based on the live instruments he may know to use, or the fact that he can write music, etc, etc, but his way of working is not cost effective in today's business. If i'm a record executive looking for a hit record for my artist, do i (A) hire Kanye West for $100,000 or (B) hire Quincy Jones and his orchestra for at least triple the price? At the end of the day business men want what's cost-effective for them and one producer and 20 band members isn't cost-effective at all.

No shot against live music but the truth must be told.
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

Quincy Jones is Da Vinci, he creates masterpieces from nothing (Mona Lisa), what Kanye West is, is Duchamp (draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa). You can't compare ? who know how to compose music from nothing to dudes who build on other peoples music.

That's not fair. no one discredits the creator of the florescent light bulb, because Edison already invented the light bulb. The fact that Kanye can build upon something that's already been created is an art in itself. To hear something and re-imagine it. Quincy can't do that. I've heard this ? remix his own ? ...it's wack as ? . so for him to discredit Kanye or for anyone else to do that is ? . That's the equivalent of saying that a pianist who plays by ear and can't read music is less talented than someone that can read music. The person that can read music can't do what the player by ear can. Someone that plays by ear can't do what the reader can. I don't understand why they have to be in competition, and cannot run parallel.
  • birdcall89
    birdcall89 Members Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    no, i agree with quincy. kanye is good at what he does, but hes not seeing quincy's shadow.
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    That's not fair. no one discredits the creator of the florescent light bulb, because Edison already invented the light bulb. The fact that Kanye can build upon something that's already been created is an art in itself. To hear something and re-imagine it. Quincy can't do that. I've heard this ? remix his own ? ...it's wack as ? . so for him to discredit Kanye or for anyone else to do that is ? . That's the equivalent of saying that a pianist who plays by ear and can't read music is less talented than someone that can read music. The person that can read music can't do what the player by ear can. Someone that plays by ear can't do what the reader can. I don't understand why they have to be in competition, and cannot run parallel.

I was gonna say something along those lines....
  • usmarin3
    edited November 2010
    Options

If Quincy can create masterpieces from nothing, i'm quite ? sure he can learn how to make music with a MPC or whatever equipment Kanye uses. He already has the concept of putting music together, all he would need to know is how to do the technical aspects of the MPC. This is the same man who has created pop, jazz, rock, r and b, blues, etc music from nothing and worked with legendary groups and artist, i'm sure some simple MPC is not gonna stomp him.
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    If Quincy can create masterpieces from nothing, i'm quite ? sure he can learn how to make music with a MPC or whatever equipment Kanye uses. He already has the concept of putting music together, all he would need to know is how to do the technical aspects of the MPC. This is the same man who has created pop, jazz, rock, r and b, blues, etc music from nothing and worked with legendary groups and artist, i'm sure some simple MPC is not gonna stomp him.

So because someone's good at basketball they're good at football? I mean, they're both athletes. Is that what you're saying?
  • yaboytheflashh
    yaboytheflashh Members Posts: 549
    edited November 2010
    Options

no samples

i agree with quincy, but this "sample vs from scratch" argument is stupid
  • da champ
    da champ Members Posts: 1,091
    edited November 2010
    Options
    comparing Kanye & Quincy at this stage of Kanye's career simply isn't fair to either of them

Dude, Quincy produced Thriller.
    That alone...

c'mon son
  • runningwolf1980
    runningwolf1980 Members Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    why dont you try makeing a yeezy beat?.......no? well sit yo ass tha ? down....
  • yaboytheflashh
    yaboytheflashh Members Posts: 549
    edited November 2010
    Options
    kanye west is a streetball legend, quincy jones is a nba hall of famer
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited November 2010
    Options
    birdcall89 wrote: »
    no, i agree with quincy. kanye is good at what he does, but hes not seeing quincy's shadow.
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options

just blaze shut the ? up. Fairlight>Protools
  • double0suge
    double0suge Members Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    lol mannn fuuuuck quincy jones, get off that ? ? ? lol
  • usmarin3
    edited November 2010
    Options
    So because someone's good at basketball they're good at football? I mean, they're both athletes. Is that what you're saying?

What a ? ass analogy. lol Q understand the concepts of music (strings, drums,etc), i'm pretty sure he gets the concept of making a hiphop beat, if he understands the musicality of rap i'm sure it would be no problem creating it. He has the fundamentals of making music down, lets not act like rap isn't built on other genres (rock, jazz, soul,etc) which Q is experienced in.
  • RED Hood
    RED Hood Members Posts: 617
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Kanye is good but not that good. Their are not a lot of strong artists out there. Making Kanye look like he is the greatest thing since sliced bread when he isn't. as a Producer he is good but not all time great. He is far from a musical genius but he is good at what he does.
  • usmarin3
    edited November 2010
    Options
    [/B] why dont you try makeing a yeezy beat?.......no? well sit yo ass tha ? down....

There are plenty of Kanye West type producers out there (NO ID, Pete Rock, 9th WOnder, Dilla, Hi Tek, MF Doom, Nottz,etc), there isn't another Quincy Jones out there at all. What Kanye does isn't unique to alot of producers in rap, he takes old records and build on that template, which is totally different than what composers do.
  • runningwolf1980
    edited November 2010
    Options
    There are plenty of Kanye West type producers out there (NO ID, Pete Rock, 9th WOnder, Dilla, Hi Tek, MF Doom, Nottz,etc), there isn't another Quincy Jones out there at all. What Kanye does isn't unique to alot of producers in rap, he takes old records and build on that template, which is totally different than what composers do.

c'mon son.......
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    1 bass guitarist and drummer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kanye's and Just Blaze catalogue.

When you're recording career is only relevant from loops of other songs you copied, artistic L.
  • runningwolf1980
    edited December 2010
    Options
    lol at ? acting like yeezy has no skills....
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Kanye is great no doubt. But Quincy Jones , Ray Charles , Maurice White , Stevie Wonder are just on a different level. Basically its like this , all the stuff that a Hip Hop producer can make on a beat machine , All those great Artist I mentioned can play every instrument that Kanye and them dudes produce digitally. Kanye mind artistcally may be on par with the greats but the actual skill its not even close and laughable to compare
  • ShadyTeam
    ShadyTeam Members Posts: 4,894 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options

What you feel about the rumours of Kanye West having Ghost Producers as far as them doing the technical work as far as making the Beat's while Kanye over seas them doing the work and basically just Sampling?
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    lol at ? acting like yeezy has no skills....

WE. As in me or you, all of us. Can do what Kanye does. Acid Pro, Pro Tools, Fruity Loops, Reason.... take your pick and start browsing old school music for that one 5 or 10 second part with no vocals. It might take a day or two with tinkering and instruction manual reading, but you'll have it by the end of the week. Only thing you'll need professional help with is probably the engineering.

The ONLY real deal breaker is in the ear. Not every one has the ear necessary to find that right harmony of sounds that can catch a mass audience. I'll give kanye that, he has the ear to do that some what. But the level of skill required stops while a musicians ends much further down the line. But as I said, a career where you took someone else music and just repeated for 3 minutes pales in comparison, artistically.
  • SunflowaSeeds
    SunflowaSeeds Members Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ShadyTeam wrote: »
    What you feel about the rumours of Kanye West having Ghost Producers as far as them doing the technical work as far as making the Beat's while Kanye over seas them doing the work and basically just Sampling?

Nah I talk to Ye on the regular and I trust that's not the case.
    He wouldn't lie to me.
  • ShadyTeam
    ShadyTeam Members Posts: 4,894 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I always thought of Kanye as over seaing Beat Makers do the work digitally while Kanye tells them what sound he wants and choosing Samples that he wants to use since Kanye Samples so much

I've never seen footage of Kanye actually making a Beat in a Studio using an MPC, Pro Tools, Reason, Midi, Keyboard etc