Just Blaze Speaks on Quincy/Kanye *thinks Quincy spoke in ignorance

Comments

• TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    ShadyTeam wrote: »
    I always thought of Kanye as over seaing Beat Makers do the work digitally while Kanye tells them what sound he wants and choosing Samples that he wants to use since Kanye Samples so much

I've never seen footage of Kanye actually making a Beat in a Studio using an MPC, Pro Tools, Reason, Midi, Keyboard etc
  • SunflowaSeeds
    SunflowaSeeds Members Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    I watched him make beats on Late Registration in person.
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010

There's more where that came from too....
  • yaboytheflashh
    yaboytheflashh Members Posts: 549
    edited December 2010
    kzzl wrote: »
    WE. As in me or you, all of us. Can do what Kanye does. Acid Pro, Pro Tools, Fruity Loops, Reason.... take your pick and start browsing old school music for that one 5 or 10 second part with no vocals. It might take a day or two with tinkering and instruction manual reading, but you'll have it by the end of the week. Only thing you'll need professional help with is probably the engineering.

The ONLY real deal breaker is in the ear. Not every one has the ear necessary to find that right harmony of sounds that can catch a mass audience. I'll give kanye that, he has the ear to do that some what. But the level of skill required stops while a musicians ends much further down the line. But as I said, a career where you took someone else music and just repeated for 3 minutes pales in comparison, artistically.

here's the sample. use whatever program you want. if you make cover common's the people down to the subtle ? by the end of the week, i will bow down to you
  • Kame
    edited December 2010
  • Kame
    edited December 2010
  • Kame
    edited December 2010
  • Kame
    edited December 2010
    Where Shady go? lolllll
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    here's the sample. use whatever program you want. if you make cover common's the people down to the subtle ? by the end of the week, i will bow down to you

I can't cover his song, I'm not a professional musician. And I won't agree to remake the exact sample instrumental, too easy to cheat. Plus he's got other ? mixed in there besides the original loop, I can't recognize or figure where he got them from. Now I'm more than capable of flipping the original Gil Scott song, slapping some drum kits, and adding an instrument or two of my liking. The exact same process Kanye uses. I'll agree to do that.
  • yaboytheflashh
    edited December 2010
    I can't cover his song, I'm not a professional musician. And I won't agree to remake the exact sample instrumental, too easy to cheat. Plus he's got other ? mixed in there besides the original loop, I can't recognize or figure where he got them from. Now I'm more than capable of flipping the original Gil Scott song, slapping some drum kits, and adding an instrument or two of my liking. The exact same process Kanye uses. I'll agree to do that.

whole bunch of other ? you can't recognize? fine, here's the other samples used in the song

if you can successfully recreate this instrumental, i will recreate some michael jackson beats
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    SMH me getting myself into a Kanye competition. ? , I ain't chopping up through 3 songs. My point is that what Kanye does ain't on the same level as a real musician. This ? ain't about me and my capabilities. I don't ? with the beats that hard. I never said I had his ear, his quality of equipment, or his time to be trying to mimic that ? to a T. But anyone of us that did, could loop some ? if we wanted to right at home with our PC or Mac's these days. ? in Fresh Produce know this. Actually learning a real instruments possibilities and music theories is way harder than MPC's or whatever. That's my point. It's not about me being better or as good as Kanye. I'll tell you now, I doubt I am.

The best example I can give you at the moment is this. Done in a few hours of just ? around with a Reason program. It's not the whole thing on purpose and it's ain't that good in quality. Hell, you might hate it, but it makes my point. I'll still flip that original song, but I remaking that instrumental.

David Banner "Like A ? "

My Example (Song uses mediafire. Youtube, takes too long to upload I hear.)

[video]http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?v8jcrv4hbd9d8gw[/video]
  • yaboytheflashh
    edited December 2010
    SMH me getting myself into a Kanye competition. ? , I ain't chopping up through 3 songs. My point is that what Kanye does ain't on the same level as a real musician. This ? ain't about me and my capabilities. I don't ? with the beats that hard. I never said I had his ear, his quality of equipment, or his time to be trying to mimic that ? to a T. But anyone of us that did, could loop some ? if we wanted to right at home with our PC or Mac's these days. ? in Fresh Produce know this. Actually learning a real instruments possibilities and music theories is way harder than MPC's or whatever. That's my point. It's not about me being better or as good as Kanye. I'll tell you now, I doubt I am.

The best example I can give you at the moment is this. Done in a few hours of just ? around with a Reason program. It's not the whole thing on purpose and it's ain't that good in quality. Hell, you might hate it, but it makes my point. I'll still flip that original song, but I remaking that instrumental.

David Banner "Like A ? "

My Example (Song uses mediafire. Youtube, takes too long to upload I hear.)

[video]http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?v8jcrv4hbd9d8gw[/video]

obviously quincy jones >>> kanye, but y'all acting like quincy jones doesn't just tell other instrumentalists what to play. kanye does the same thing... not as well, but let's not act like quincy jones is the only ? to ever lead a orchestra. let's not act like duke ellington never existed. quincy plays a couple instruments, but so does pharrell... so did j dilla... hell, so did my 4th grade music teacher. it's high school kids make kanye esque beats, but its high school kids making classical compositions as well. im not saying quincy jones ain't a great producer. he's one of the greatest, but the fact that he makes ? from scratch isn't what makes him great.

and a good night to you sir
  • blacklsoldier
    blacklsoldier Members Posts: 899
    edited December 2010
    Cain_Marko wrote: »
    Are ? high Kanye is good but Quincy is a damn legend. Thats like comparing Michael Jordan to Hot Sauce the street ball player same sport different game Like someone said Q made and produced Thriller nothing anybody will ever make will see that record period.

? youmust be "high" to compare Kanye to Hot Sauce!!! Kanye= Grammys Hot Sauce= Still making people so wow, but still irrelevant to NBA fans!
  • Drgoo0285
    Drgoo0285 Members Posts: 513 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    no samples

i agree with quincy, but this "sample vs from scratch" argument is stupid

To say these have no samples is to ignore what sampling is.
  • Treize117
    Treize117 Members Posts: 1,112
    edited December 2010
    Drgoo0285 wrote: »

How did you come to that conclusion?
  • Drgoo0285
    Drgoo0285 Members Posts: 513 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Treize117 wrote: »
    How did you come to that conclusion?

well the first one clearly has a crowd sample.

Drum sounds unless you actually play them are considered samples.

The choir ohhs and ahhhs unless he hired his own probably came from a keyboard, which is considered sampling.

The talib joint is probably just an un recognizable sample.
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Quincy Jones makes music from nothing

Kanye West build on someone elses template

Quincy Jones is Da Vinci, he creates masterpieces from nothing (Mona Lisa), what Kanye West is, is Duchamp (draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa). You can't compare ? who know how to compose music from nothing to dudes who build on other peoples music.

co sign___________
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    There is no comparison.

Kanye ain't ? lil boys like Quincy.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    1 bass guitarist and drummer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kanye's and Just Blaze catalogue.

When you're recording career is only relevant from loops of other songs you copied, artistic L.

usmarin3 wrote: »
    If Quincy can create masterpieces from nothing, i'm quite ? sure he can learn how to make music with a MPC or whatever equipment Kanye uses. He already has the concept of putting music together, all he would need to know is how to do the technical aspects of the MPC. This is the same man who has created pop, jazz, rock, r and b, blues, etc music from nothing and worked with legendary groups and artist, i'm sure some simple MPC is not gonna stomp him.

yo on the real...Q is a legend and has done alot for music

but unitl he gets in a studio and makes ? headnoddin hip hop track like this :

or some ill dark ? like this :

or tracks made just for smokin sessions like this:

him and ya'll need to sit ya ? down on whats hip hop, how its made or whatever

peace
  • yaboytheflashh
    edited December 2010
    Drgoo0285 wrote: »

nahh i know, but what i meant is they're are self played melodies, and i don't think get em high is a sample. I've heard kanye use that bass sound before, and the main melody is pretty simple to play. and the sample isn't cited... kanye usually clears his samples
  • yaboytheflashh
    edited December 2010
    what quincy jones said was a lil extra. michael jordan gets asked about, and compared to rookies all the time, but he handles it more professionally. If I was quincy jones I'd be more insulted by what jus blaze said. Been mixing tracks since he was in pampers and this ? got the nerve to tell me i don't know how to use reason. I produce electronic music damn near 30 years ago, and this ? has the nerve to tell me i can't use a filter
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    I really think y'all ain't been listening to kanyes catalogue lately
    yea he still samples but it's a lot more than loops,voice samples,and drums
    he been using live instruments in his music since late registration
    im not tryna put him up there on Quincys level,but dude knows music
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    cobbland wrote: »
    There is no comparison.

Kanye ain't ? lil boys like Quincy.

Hahaha this right here ^
  • curtis75black
    curtis75black Members Posts: 606
    edited December 2010
    what quincy jones said was a lil extra. michael jordan gets asked about, and compared to rookies all the time, but he handles it more professionally. If I was quincy jones I'd be more insulted by what jus blaze said. Been mixing tracks since he was in pampers and this ? got the nerve to tell me i don't know how to use reason. I produce electronic music damn near 30 years ago, and this ? has the nerve to tell me i can't use a filter

You say that because you're a fan of Kanye !! If someone with less lyrical skills but is the man in the eyes of the new era was compared to Jay-Z, I'm quite sure you'll and whole heap of fans would feel a little salty about that comparison. It is what it is. If you love music, not just Hip Hop, you should be able to understand where Quincy was coming from with no malice. Just Blaze came off taking up for Kanye when he don't have to. Kanye can speak for himself. His music speaks from himself but he isn't the new Quincy Jones without knowing or never doing what Quincy has done. ? , His classic is my ringtone -"Sanford and Son" Theme.
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    edited December 2010
    genstasia wrote: »
    Kanye does have an Ear but its just not the same... and also mind u that back in the they HAD to use real instruments for the most part the technology wasnt there for them to utilize so anybody from that era had to know how to play SOME kind of instrument. So it aint like Quincy had the MPC infront of him and said "Naw i'ma get on these drums"..... And speaking of Which Ryan Leslie is a Genius.... because he has the choice.....

One of the dopest bass lines I've heard in pop music in a while I dunno if he did it himself or not but somebody has some skills

To answer the thread I think Quincy has earned the right to say what he said about Kanye, he still gave him props but if i'm not mistaken he's saying that with all he's done in music to be compared to somebody who while talented can't even create it on his own at the end of the day is kinda disrespectful. Kanye's very good at what he does, but I'm sure he'd agree with Quincy dude's arrogant but he's not stupid.