Japenese Jazz-Hop Thread

ninjasenses
ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
edited October 2011 in The Essence
I would love to devote a thread to all the jazz influenced hiphop japan has been putting out. I can honestly say there is nothing I enjoy more than the fresh jazz, laid back stlye of production they constantly put out. My roots to this type of music can be traced back to nujabes. After hearing his album metaphorical music, I was insttantly hooked and immediatly downloaded whatever I could find. So Ill share some artists with you and use this thread to expand our love of they music they create. If you havent heard anything by any of these artists, PLEASE do yourself a favor and at least give nujabes' album metaphorical music one spin.

Artists to check out:
  • nujabes
  • shin-ski
  • nomak
  • fat jon
  • ino hidefumi
  • dj deckstream
  • dj okawari
  • hidetake takayama
  • kero one
  • michita
  • replus
  • Uyama Hiroto

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Great thread, I'm going away on holiday for 5 days tomorrow, but when I come back, I'm going to youtube this thread to death. Peace.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Just a few favourites...

My two most played tracks of the year:

And a favourite from Nujabes:

I was on the Eiffel Tower on holiday a few days ago, met two Japanese 20 somethings up there and began to show them my iPhone music with the likes of Nujabes and Michita, they didn't have a clue! Was hoping they'd be able to shed light on a few things for me but all's they could do was take my picture lol Never mind.
  • Hatter
    Hatter Members Posts: 2,451 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    A friend of mine tried to get me into it a while back its sounds really nice but i couldnt see myself bumping it.
  • ninjasenses
    edited December 2010
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Just a few favourites...

I was on the Eiffel Tower on holiday a few days ago, met two Japanese 20 somethings up there and began to show them my iPhone music with the likes of Nujabes and Michita, they didn't have a clue! Was hoping they'd be able to shed light on a few things for me but all's they could do was take my picture lol Never mind.

LMAO...I cant believe they never heard of them. Well i guess I really dont know how big they are over there. I have a friend teaching over in japan ill have to ask him...
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Hatter wrote: »
    A friend of mine tried to get me into it a while back its sounds really nice but i couldnt see myself bumping it.

If you have a lot of work on, or are stressed at any time, Japanese Jazz-Hop can really set your mind at ease. It's also just great chill out music, but don't place the art form in a box, they also do tracks like this:
    LMAO...I cant believe they never heard of them. Well i guess I really dont know how big they are over there. I have a friend teaching over in japan ill have to ask him...

lol I know, I guess Nujabes did just stay behind the boards and in his music store.. but still. Definitely ask him, my friend who taught over there didn't hear of any of them either though. It's weird considering it's influence on the feature films.

Anyways, I'll stick with the SEEDA theme:
  • ninjasenses
    edited December 2010
    It's really how I unwind after a long day every night. Usually i have 3 jazz influenced hiphop albums on my current playlist at any time and every night I throw them on before I goto bed, really puts me at ease. Right now here's what Im bumpin

Substantial & Marcus D - Substantial & Marcus D are bop alloy
    mark farina - mushroom jazz 7 (all previous mushroom jazz are equally good)
    cradle orchestra - trancended elements

nice track from bop alloy album:
  • ninjasenses
    edited December 2010
    btw those SEEDA tracks are dope...ill have to download and give his album a listen. Sucks though my right speaker just went out tonight grrr
  • wundahkind
    wundahkind Members Posts: 8
    edited December 2010
    hiphop in japan is mainly poppish typa mainstream stuff not too many ppl actually know nujabes and similar specially outside of tokyo.his death was a big shock to the whole scene but still excellent albums comin out.
  • wundahkind
    wundahkind Members Posts: 8
    edited December 2010
    nujabes, nomak, cradle (orchestra) and shing02 were a massive influence, probably still are in some ways...heres a good way to keep up to date on whats been droppin in japan:

http://bls-act.co.jp/music/genre/hiphop

http://bls-act.co.jp/music/genre/jazz

i can spend hours on this site searchin thru releases ^^
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    wundahkind wrote: »
    hiphop in japan is mainly poppish typa mainstream stuff not too many ppl actually know nujabes and similar specially outside of tokyo.his death was a big shock to the whole scene but still excellent albums comin out.

Still excellent albums coming out of Tokyo, or from Nujabes?

You live in Tokyo?
    nujabes, nomak, cradle (orchestra) and shing02 were a massive influence, probably still are in some ways...heres a good way to keep up to date on whats been droppin in japan:

Props on those links, it's a shame I don't speak Japanese but good to get some info on what releases are coming out :tu
  • ninjasenses
    edited December 2010

good post...big ups man. thanks
  • ninjasenses
    edited January 2011
    More info about the Nujabes documentary coming up(from the directors facebook group):

March 13 Is the date the (rough cut) of "An Eternal Soul" will be screened at this years SXSW music/festival in Austin,TX. On the same date I will release a brand new full length trailer online with tons of new footage! Thanks for the support!

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/140002

Click the link to for information to buy tickets and to get more information on the event.

Performaces by:

Substantial & Marcus D(Bop Alloy)

Pase Rock

Apani B

I will be with my camera crew filming for the documentary. This is the final shoot for the film.

If you consider yourself a Nujabes fan than this is an event NOT to miss no matter how far you live

Also if you're a Nujabes fan then it's a possibility that you're an anime fan. The weekend of this event is the awesome anime convention Katsucon at The ? Convention Center(steps away from the venue of the Nujabes show). The National Harbor is one of the most beautiful areas in DC and it's a great place for tourist so if you are a Nujabes fan and an anime fan then this would be an amazing week for you to come out and have a great time!
  • RuffDraft
    edited October 2011
    Any more news on the Nujabes documentary???

Here's another Japanese track I'm feeling:
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Great thread!

Anybody check out Mellow Beats, Friends & Lovers? It was a nujabes album on wikipedia, but on discogs its credited as Toru Hashimoto. has a couple of nujabes beats on there.

Anyways its a great compliation
  • RuffDraft
    edited October 2011
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    Great thread!

Yeah, I have that release!!! Anything from Hydeout I'm trying to check!

I bought Modal Soul not so long back, first print. Trying to get a Metaphorical Music that's the same.

Another few I've been listening to from Nozawa:

and Okawari:
  • stupot0607
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, I have that release!!! Anything from Hydeout I'm trying to check!

I bought Modal Soul not so long back, first print. Trying to get a Metaphorical Music that's the same.

Haha is that who the album artist is!! I NEED TO KNOW!! haha My itunes NEEDS to be perfectly ordered. i have it down as Toru Hashimoto... but im not sure?

Ive already got Metaphorical Music and its dope, ive only given it a few listens though.... is Modal Soul better? i remember you saying in a diff thread you would idealy merge them?

also i downloaded son of the sun by uyama hiroto, but havent listened to that....
  • RuffDraft
    edited October 2011
    Haha is that who the album artist is!! I NEED TO KNOW!! haha My itunes NEEDS to be perfectly ordered. i have it down as Toru Hashimoto... but im not sure?

Ive already got Metaphorical Music and its dope, ive only given it a few listens though.... is Modal Soul better? i remember you saying in a diff thread you would idealy merge them?

also i downloaded son of the sun by uyama hiroto, but havent listened to that....

No, Hydeout is the label. It was my understanding that the whole CD was from the label with a mixture of artists on there…

You own Metaphorical Music??? As in a CD? I've had it since its release, but I've not had the CD copy.

Nah, I don't mean to be funny but mergers are only when it's about the same artist and the same topic is being discussed (like it is in The Reason). Nujabes has enough material in his catalog deserving of a forum himself!!! But I will up it if you wish!

Modal Soul is a great album, it doesn't reach the highs of Metaphorical Music; but overall, it's a better disc for continuity. I always wanted to merge both albums to make a super-disc. But I think that some people love the tracks that you don't and vice versa. For instance, some say 'Flowers' is his greatest track; where as to me, it's one of his worst.

Ahhh get on that, had that since its release too; Uyama did a lot for Nujabes.

Amadori's voice makes me LOL:

Another great one…
  • stupot0607
    edited October 2011
    @ Draft

That song is funny as! to be honest i never really liked the original either haha

Yeah ill check out Modal Soul, I dont own a copy of Metaphorical Music, i could imagine that costing alot....
  • RuffDraft
    edited October 2011
    @ Draft

That song is funny as! to be honest i never really liked the original either haha

Yeah ill check out Modal Soul, I dont own a copy of Metaphorical Music, i could imagine that costing alot....

Hahaha I love the original, SMH!

Yeah, man… you're lucky. So many great tracks that you'll discover. Get on it. You checked Evolution Fight yet? I can't remember if you did or not…

Yeah, Modal Soul cost me nearly £40. But it was a first edition. Worth it though as he's like all I listened to at Uni and since really… he's introduced me to Manga, Anime, Japanese hip hop/jazz hip hop etc. He's probably had the biggest influence on me as far as my music tastes go.
  • stupot0607
    edited October 2011
    Hahaha I love the original, SMH!

Yeah, man… you're lucky. So many great tracks that you'll discover. Get on it. You checked Evolution Fight yet? I can't remember if you did or not…

Yeah, Modal Soul cost me nearly £40. But it was a first edition. Worth it though as he's like all I listened to at Uni and since really… he's introduced me to Manga, Anime, Japanese hip hop/jazz hip hop etc. He's probably had the biggest influence on me as far as my music tastes go.

Quite a claim, i dno what mine would be..... Haha im gonna Claim Nas cause he introduced me to Lyrical and themed hip hop.

Desree - Life >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Desree - You gotta be

HAHAHA Desree Life is a class song, crappest lyrics of all time aswell.....

"I don't want to see a ghost,
    It's a sight that I fear most
    I'd rather have a piece of toast"

It has character as a song though haha

Erm ive gave evolution fight a couple of spins, first impression its pretty solid, but i have no urge to re-visit it if im honest, got so much new stuff. The beats are amazing though.... need to give it a couple more spins before i can give you some valuble feedback....
  • RuffDraft
    edited October 2011
    Quite a claim, i dno what mine would be..... Haha im gonna Claim Nas cause he introduced me to Lyrical and themed hip hop.

Yeah, I mean, I guess in later years, you know? Like you have the early influences, but right now; if I'm honest, 95% of what I listen to is Japanese.
    Stupot0607 wrote:
    Desree - Life >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Desree - You gotta be

HAHAHA Desree Life is a class song, crappest lyrics of all time aswell.....

"I don't want to see a ghost,
    It's a sight that I fear most
    I'd rather have a piece of toast"

It has character as a song though haha

LOL

'And watch the evening news'… it's not the worst rhyme ever, but she's hardly challenging Lil Wayne with that one… lol.
    Stupot0607 wrote:
    Erm ive gave evolution fight a couple of spins, first impression its pretty solid, but i have no urge to re-visit it if im honest, got so much new stuff. The beats are amazing though.... need to give it a couple more spins before i can give you some valuble feedback....

Ahh that's a shame, you heard First Person from Time Being? May change your mind about a revisit of Evolution Fight if you feel this:
  • stupot0607
    edited October 2011
    Ahh that's a shame, you heard First Person from Time Being? May change your mind about a revisit of Evolution Fight if you feel this:

Yeah ive got this downloaded after i heard it in a thread way back. its actually been played more than any song on Evolution fight.... So is Evolution Fight your ILLmatic? haha that one album which is the best ? ever!?

Ill get around to it one day...

in the last month ive bought (physically):
    Apathy - ? Kong (few listens - solid)
    Evidence - Cats & Dogs (few listens - amazing)
    J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid (not listened to yet)
    Jurassic 5 lp Deluxe (i always wanted the deluxe, got a extra amazing EP and dvd, but always had the main album)

Downloaded:

Uyama Hiroto - Son of the Sun (few listens - solid)
    Mellow beats friends and lovers (AMAZING)
    Sept Playlist of the month (few listens - some great tunes)
    Murs - Love and rockets (trying to listen to but keep gettin sidetracked!!)
    Brother Ali - Undisputed trust (AMAZING)

i need to stop myself from downloading and buying.......
  • RuffDraft
    edited October 2011
    Yeah ive got this downloaded after i heard it in a thread way back. its actually been played more than any song on Evolution fight.... So is Evolution Fight your ILLmatic? haha that one album which is the best ? ever!?

Ill get around to it one day...

in the last month ive bought (physically):
    Apathy - ? Kong (few listens - solid)
    Evidence - Cats & Dogs (few listens - amazing)
    J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid (not listened to yet)
    Jurassic 5 lp Deluxe (i always wanted the deluxe, got a extra amazing EP and dvd, but always had the main album)

Downloaded:

Uyama Hiroto - Son of the Sun (few listens - solid)
    Mellow beats friends and lovers (AMAZING)
    Sept Playlist of the month (few listens - some great tunes)
    Murs - Love and rockets (trying to listen to but keep gettin sidetracked!!)
    Brother Ali - Undisputed trust (AMAZING)

i need to stop myself from downloading and buying.......

Yeah, I'm not surprised, it was my second time hearing the sample yet it still felt fresh.

Nahhhhh, nothing is my Illmatic. Nas was incredible on that release… I bought it when Stillmatic dropped and ended up playing Stillmatic an equal amount… but as time went by, I'd always put Illmatic in over Stillmatic and Illmatic is on another level to Evolution Fight; yet Evolution Fight has wide subject matter and as you say, fantastic production.

Yeah! I finally got round to Cats & Dogs! Definitely my album to play when I break up tomorrow! Class on the Dilla :tu I've bumped Dilla loads these past few months. Sweet, what's the DVD like on that Jurassic?

Glad you're listening to the Playlist!!! :tu You joining in on this months? Going to create it tomorrow or Saturday.

Shame on the Murs, hopefully it's still a great release as others have stated. Haha @ Brother Ali, he's kinda a flawless emcee.

I need to find time to listen to music, period.

Anyways, back to the topic:

Japanese Hip Hop from Nujabes: My top 5 plays (in order):
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    The Japanese Jazz is good too. If you've ever heard the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack, they have a lot of cool stuff on there. I like what the Japanese do with Black inspired music. They actually try to add to it and make it their own instead of just copying the trends.
  • RuffDraft
    edited October 2011
    The Japanese Jazz is good too. If you've ever heard the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack, they have a lot of cool stuff on there. I like what the Japanese do with Black inspired music. They actually try to add to it and make it their own instead of just copying the trends.

Lonious, you into Anime? If so, PM me; I've been checking it a lot recently, just finished watching Eden of the East (amazing) :tu

Yeah, I think they're just all round talented; you see how great they are at lots of things, music is no different, everything is perfected by them and I think it really comes across in their instrumentals. They're pieced together well, never dull yet never over-produced. Good balance. Very hard to master, IMO.