Call of Duty: Black Ops reaches $1 billion

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in IllGaming
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Activision Blizzard Inc has raked in more than $1 billion in worldwide sales of Call of Duty: Black Ops (Buy | Search), the latest installment of the U.S. game publisher's most successful franchise.

That performance built on the previous benchmark of $650 million of sales in the game's first five days, which set a five-day global record for a movie, book or videogame, the company said.

"In all of entertainment, only 'Call of Duty' and 'Avatar' have ever achieved the billion dollar revenue milestone this quickly," Activision Chief Executive Officer Bobby Kotick said in a statement, referring to the blockbuster alien epic helmed by James Cameron.

Wall Street's expectations run high for Activision's holiday quarter, based also on the company's latest World of Warcraft (Buy | Search) installment.

But sales in the $50 billion U.S. video game industry -- which has been slow to bounce back from the recession -- are down 5 percent for the year to November 30.

Despite a strong November, research group NPD estimates that overall sales of gaming hardware and software for 2010 are likely to range from $18.8 billion to $19.6 billion, the top of which would be roughly flat with last year.

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/278-call-of-duty-black-ops-sets-record-for-activision

Comments

• gucci7383
    gucci7383 Members Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »

this is why i say even with no infinty ward they will make another modern warefare..its just too much money at stake
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    gucci7383 wrote: »
    this is why i say even with no infinty ward they will make another modern warefare..its just too much money at stake

BUT HOWEVER... the quality of the game will be NOTICABLY different... i used to hate treyarch, but i cant lie i love WAW and BO.. but i like MW and MW2 WAYY more... i think IW will make (modern warfare3) and it wont be under the activision publishing.... but then again IP rights will be aat stake so nvm... but bottom line.. BO did nothing but take mw2 and made it better(as far as multiplayer goes) and improved it. i guess only time will tell.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »
    BO did nothing but take mw2 and made it better(as far as multiplayer goes) and improved it. i guess only time will tell.

What...are you serious? The only thing Black Ops did better (IMO) was the making you earn all your kills to get killstreaks, customization (even tho I really don't care that much about it) and the money system, which was cool. MW2 graphics are still better, runs more fluid, better hit detection, better sound effects, and way better connectivity. Blacks Ops did improve the ? shotgun and sniper mechanics tho.
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What...are you serious? The only thing Black Ops did better (IMO) was the making you earn all your kills to get killstreaks, customization (even tho I really don't care that much about it) and the money system, which was cool. MW2 graphics are still better, runs more fluid, better hit detection, better sound effects, and way better connectivity. Blacks Ops did improve the ? shotgun and sniper mechanics tho.

dude chill. im on ur side.. i like mw2 better too.. but the earning your killstreaks thing is the best thing since sliced bread.
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Good for Activision......I came late to the party but since buying for my kids I loved that ? so I copped it soon as I could for myself. Just getting in to all this ? although I had Call of Duty 4 but somebody got me for that. Either way I like this Call of Duty ? .
  • illogics
    illogics Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ? outta here. That outta balance, noob-tubing frenzie of MW2 is in no way > Black Ops.
  • gucci7383
    gucci7383 Members Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    doesn't matter..i'm just waiting on the dlc feb 1 to see what the new maps look like on xbox