2011: The Year The Mainstream Falls In Love With Indie?

rip.dilla
rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in The Essence
This year to me is gonna be interesting.

The advent and power of HipHop blogs such as The Reason critiquing artistes music under a short period of time has made them have a second look at themselves and the product they put out.

Lupe Fiasco scored a huge goal last year getting, with the help of his fans, a release date for his much anticipated third album, Lasers from a Major record company. Keep in mind this was a sorta David vs. Goliath kinda ? .

The likes of Jay Z, KanYe West and Eminem, currently the three highest selling rappers, have collectively signed up the likes of Pusha T of the Clipse, Jay Electronica, Cy Hi Da PRYNCE, Common, Mos Def, J. Cole and Slaughterhouse to their labels/management companies.

KanYe West arguably put out the Album Of The Year last year with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fanatasy, costing a reported $3 million. Even with a budget like that, he put out a cohesive album appreciated and hailed across genres and tastes, including mainstream acts (Nicki Minaj, Jay Z) as well as indie (Bon Iver, Raekwon)

Nas, regarded as one of the greatest ever is in his last days as a Def Jam employee and there's an uncertainty on who he'll sign up with next. Some say KanYe's G.O.O.D music imprint. I personally feel with the kind of music he makes currently, being signed to an indie will benefit him artistically (creative independence) and more importantly, financially. LOL.

You also have the likes of Dr. Dre bigging up Kendrick Lamar and so forth...

Is the MUSIC beginning to have a voice and the BS fading away (Soulja Boy's last effort was dismal)? Are the majors powers dwindling?

Comments

• Freshonia
    Freshonia Members Posts: 1,291 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    and why am i the first to comment on this....smh ? hate truth,,they just love shock threads and nonsense...
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Great post Dilla...

I believe so, I believe that the more exposure the Indie's get on the Internet and how the advertising campaigns are becoming more and more online (by the artists themselves, rather than a banner on a blog/site/forum), the more the growth of the artist will be seen online, it's a new era of music and another generation of commerce, the people who bought CD's ten-fifteen years ago were exposed to music through the channels. Nowadays, the new school market are buying through the Internet, iTunes and the like. The It's even cutting out the advertising agency, if you look to rappers/emcees who post on Twitter, Facebook (Common does this well as does Tinie Tempah), the helm of social networking is becoming the advertising, what the artists have to say is becoming the forefront and more and more the way to create a fan base.

The more this happens, the less money needs to be spent on advertising, if you can distribute online (see Kendrick Lamar) then you have an album being distributed for free practically (the cost of a server and a working script to transfer your music to others). That's TWO expenditures that the Major's regularly divulge in but that Indie artists no longer need to...

Taking into account that the Indie Labels are becoming more and more powerful with what they do (Atmosphere albums can be found worldwide) and you have the basis for Indie labels growth into the future, the loss of interest in hip hop by Mtv viewers and you can finally see that hip hop is returning home, to its roots.

With that said, the commercial freedom, the benefit of touring and the money that's being made from it are all reasons why Indie's will continue to grow. Posters who are fans of Indie music are generally more knowledgeable cats and they act as promoters to the Indie emcees too, by posting heavily on forums and due to the respect that they garner for being knowledgeable, the more sales that they produce for the artists.

The games a-changing, it's an interesting time, with that said, the Majors will still produce on the main scale getting the most exposure, but it's only for ten artists or so who sell regularly...

What we mustn't misconstrue however, is that the Internet isn't everything. But it's close to being, the more the years pass by...

2011: The Year The Mainstream Fall In Love With Indie? I hope so... if not, the Ten's, I'll be pleased... as long as the music doesn't change and the creative freedom remains.
  • J. Rob
    J. Rob Members Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Underground heads are going to hate most of these examples, but I think they show the direction hip hop is going in:

Lil Wayne - 6 Foot 7 Foot
    Rick Ross - BMF
    Jeezy - Lose My Mind
    Waka Flocka - O Let's Do It, Hard In The Paint
    Kanye West - Power, Monster
    J. Cole - Who Dat
    Lloyd Banks - Beamer, Benz or Bentley
    Jay Electronica - Exhibit C
    T.I. - I'm Back

These are all "street" records, and they all got significant (if not MAJOR) airplay over the last 12 months. Now, some of the tracks on this list may not be all that great (? , some of them are straight garbage), but IMO they're a step in the right direction. About 3 or 4 years ago (you probably don't even have to go that far back) NONE of these would've even sniffed the top 20 because they wouldn't have been commercial enough.

I don't know if 2011 will be the year though. 2012 is seems a little more realistic. I think the "indie era" will be in full swing by the summer of 2013.
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    i believe this to be correct, you pretty much summed it up but people like wiz, mac miller, and big krit are really supporting your claim
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    J. Rob wrote: »
    Underground heads are going to hate most of these examples, but I think they show the direction hip hop is going in:

Rick Ross - BMF
    Jeezy - Lose My Mind
    J. Cole - Who Dat
    T.I. - I'm Back

These are all "street" records, and they all got significant (if not MAJOR) airplay over the last 12 months. Now, some of the tracks on this list may not be all that great (? , some of them are straight garbage), but IMO they're a step in the right direction. About 3 or 4 years ago (you probably don't even have to go that far back) NONE of these would've even sniffed the top 20 because they wouldn't have been commercial enough.

I don't know if 2011 will be the year though. 2012 is seems a little more realistic. I think the "indie era" will be in full swing by the summer of 2013.

I haven't even checked for half of that list, but definitely agree with the movement not just towards street records, but more timely emceeing with the likes of Jay Elec... the list, unfortunately, shows no steps forward though IMO, some of those artists lack talent (but then I equate to the first line of your post ha).
    i believe this to be correct, you pretty much summed it up but people like wiz, mac miller, and big krit are really supporting your claim

Big Krit's got some nice tracks, hopefully he'll keep bringing the fresh stuff and not switch it up... the song about what day he's having is a great concept and he came with a great video for it too.
  • J. Rob
    edited January 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    I haven't even checked for half of that list, but definitely agree with the movement not just towards street records, but more timely emceeing with the likes of Jay Elec... the list, unfortunately, shows no steps forward though IMO, some of those artists lack talent (but then I equate to the first line of your post ha).

you have to consider that from 2006-2009 years ago, the radio was dominated by the likes of D4L, Dem Franchise Boyz, Yung Joc, Jibbs, Soulja Boy, Mims, Mike Jones, DJ Unk, VIC, GS Boyz, Hurricane Chris, Shawty Lo, etc.....I think hip hop has progressed at least a little bit since then
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    you have to consider that from 2006-2009 years ago, the radio was dominated by the likes of D4L, Dem Franchise Boyz, Yung Joc, Jibbs, Soulja Boy, Mims, Mike Jones, DJ Unk, VIC, GS Boyz, Hurricane Chris, Shawty Lo, etc.....I think hip hop has progressed at least a little bit since then

I remember being on holiday and hearing Soulja Boy and Mims on the radio and thinking that hip hop was indeed dying a slow death. Agreed, it's a lot better than it was, that's a good point.

Still though, there's a lot of greater music being made out there that turns up on top 2010 albums etc. and people start with the where is ... album, rather than listening to said album; it's a frustrating time for artists who stay true to their craft, sometimes even making these lists isn't good enough. That's my issue with the list that you posted, that most of that - even with the radio play - isn't touching the music that's released on Indie labels... for the most part.
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Awesome thread and I agree with Dilla, Ruff & J Rob 1,000%
  • rip.dilla
    edited January 2011

Looks to far out to me.

But maybe, who knows?
  • cuttadc13
    cuttadc13 Members Posts: 1,626 ✭✭
    edited January 2011

Rick Ross - BMF
    Jeezy - Lose My Mind
    J. Cole - Who Dat
    T.I. - I'm Back

ur right...cuz before...if soulja boy wasn't on it or it didn't have a dance to go with it...it wasnt gonna make it lmao
  • tupacfan35
    tupacfan35 Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    I remember being on holiday and hearing Soulja Boy and Mims on the radio and thinking that hip hop was indeed dying a slow death. Agreed, it's a lot better than it was, that's a good point.

Still though, there's a lot of greater music being made out there that turns up on top 2010 albums etc. and people start with the where is ... album, rather than listening to said album; it's a frustrating time for artists who stay true to their craft, sometimes even making these lists isn't good enough. That's my issue with the list that you posted, that most of that - even with the radio play - isn't touching the music that's released on Indie labels... for the most part.

It's been dying since pac and biggie got killed.
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    tupacfan35 wrote: »
    It's been dying since pac and biggie got killed.

You had the Rawkus era after Biggie and 'Pac, that's no death... if you listened to Diddy though then I can see where you're coming from.
  • J. Rob
    edited January 2011
    You had the Rawkus era after Biggie and 'Pac, that's no death... if you listened to Diddy though then I can see where you're coming from.

The thing is...fans act like the mainstream is the only thing that matters. Personally, I think the underground is in the middle of a second golden era that started back in '09. There has been a ton of quality underground ? being released over that last two years, but fans are still complaining about the state of hip hop. I'm starting to think it was never about the quality of music....fans (specifically underground fans) are just mad that their favorite rappers aren't popular.
  • rip.dilla
    edited January 2011
    The thing is...fans act like the mainstream is the only thing that matters. Personally, I think the underground is in the middle of a second golden era that started back in '09. There has been a ton of quality underground ? being released over that last two years, but fans are still complaining about the state of hip hop. I'm starting to think it was never about the quality of music....fans (specifically underground fans) are just mad that their favorite rappers aren't popular.

I bought more indie albums than those from majors last year.
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011

No, I disagree with this J... I've been listening to underground since 04 and earlier depending on the artists that you consider 'underground'. I think that throughout the 00's there's been classic albums in the underground, it's been a fantastic decade, not just two years. I don't really care if the artists I like are popular, sometimes I like that they're not being over saturated on the radio. But there's definitely always albums that deserve more recognition, get that recognition on the top 10 lists, then are ignored by the mainstream fans. Which I personally see as backward. I remember getting into hip hop in the late 90's and really thinking 'I want to know everything about this culture' and I made it my debt to do so by digging for every old classic album that there was and adding it to my CD collection. This continued, when I knew the majority about the golden age and the history of hip hop, I then went digging further into the culture and discovered the underground. Times have changed, people now go as far to disrespect the Golden era, being dismissive of the skills that there was back then (The nerve considering the lack of skills currently! lol). But that's another topic.

I think the way social media is promoting these independent artists can only be for the better for Independent music and it's popularity. The gap between mainstream and independent music will become smaller and hopefully Indie labels won't drop the ball, they need to stay true to their essence and keep on letting the artists do their own thing, creating timeless music.
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    edited January 2011
    The mainstream is definitely looking at the indies and in many cases swiping their whole style and game.

With artists like Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Freddie Foxxx, P.O.S., J-Live, Gift of Gab, Illus, GodAwful and so many others having successful indie careers making positive, hard hitting, passionate music and touring the globe without any major radio play or corporate support....it is no wonder why they are looking to these artists for inspiration and biting their ? .

Why anyone would sign to a major is beyond me. The underground is definitely booming right now and there are so many great records being made. I wouldn't complain about the underground at all. Most of the mainstream acts are b.s. and just watered down biters.
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    skeep wrote: »
    The mainstream is definitely looking at the indies and in many cases swiping their whole style and game.

With artists like Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Freddie Foxxx, P.O.S., J-Live, Gift of Gab, Illus, GodAwful and so many others having successful indie careers making positive, hard hitting, passionate music and touring the globe without any major radio play or corporate support....it is no wonder why they are looking to these artists for inspiration and biting their ? .

Why anyone would sign to a major is beyond me. The underground is definitely booming right now and there are so many great records being made. I wouldn't complain about the underground at all. Most of the mainstream acts are b.s. and just watered down biters.

Great post, it is true that they're doing world tours, all over Europe as well, no radio play, but the Internet is listening. P.O.S' last album was genius and all the others that you've posted are dope (but I haven't heard GodAwful?) Passionate music is much better than a 6 month product. By that I mean an album that lasts 6 months in the charts (along with the rapper) only for them to fade away with the record... a product that was a quick money method.

The underground at the minute is booming, so many emcee's there's a difficulty keeping up with it all. That said, it is the money (the quick book) that majors offer, the big pay cheque up front and the possibility of a platinum record... many artists are about that... rather than the music, that's why they keep signing to the Majors IMO. It isn't about the music for them so much.
  • rip.dilla
    edited January 2011

Trill ? .
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011

*Thumbs up*
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited January 2011
    I think we'll start to see more acts like BOB, kid cudi comming up out of the wood work.
  • rip.dilla
    edited January 2011
    I think we'll start to see more acts like BOB, kid cudi comming up out of the wood work.

They all sound like indie artistes flirting with the mainstream.
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited January 2011
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    They all sound like indie artistes flirting with the mainstream.

I think thats what we should expect...I mean you can't just have an indie guy go mainsteam in a second. I think its a slow transition, and these guys are setting the foundation.
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    I think thats what we should expect...I mean you can't just have an indie guy go mainsteam in a second. I think its a slow transition, and these guys are setting the foundation.

That's an ode and a half, I don't think Cudi is going to be a big name though, Day N Nite will always be his outstanding hit, IMO especially with his will to turn to making Rock music.

I think artists who have fun with it will be the ones who set the foundation going... artists such as Pigeon John who could have had a few hits in the past with his creativity, tracks like "Do the Pigeon" with promotion and a funny video could have gone a long way.
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    edited February 2011
    Great post, it is true that they're doing world tours, all over Europe as well, no radio play, but the Internet is listening. P.O.S' last album was genius and all the others that you've posted are dope (but I haven't heard GodAwful?) Passionate music is much better than a 6 month product. By that I mean an album that lasts 6 months in the charts (along with the rapper) only for them to fade away with the record... a product that was a quick money method.

The underground at the minute is booming, so many emcee's there's a difficulty keeping up with it all. That said, it is the money (the quick book) that majors offer, the big pay cheque up front and the possibility of a platinum record... many artists are about that... rather than the music, that's why they keep signing to the Majors IMO. It isn't about the music for them so much.

Check for GogAwful on Bandcamp or youtube. Dude is dope and is currently on a 54 week national tour. Craziness.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Check for GogAwful on Bandcamp or youtube. Dude is dope and is currently on a 54 week national tour. Craziness.

Can't find a GogAwful??? 54 week National or worldwide tour?