Prayer - What is the point?

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
What is the point of any prayer between you and and all-knowing ? ? Many believers state things such as; "it's in ? 's hands", "it's all apart of His plan", "he controls everything", "He knows everything" etc...

If we are actually speaking about an all-knowing supreme being then prayer is pointless.

Lets say you're praying for someone who is sick and in the hospital. Doctors tell you there is a 50/50 chance of survival. So of course the biggest thing next is the family, or whoever, prays for this persons well-being. This prayer would be a prayer of "allowing" this person to live another day pretty much. Lets say this person dies, this would easily be "apart of ? 's plan" in the eyes of a believer. If so, what was the point of prayer? We don't know outcomes but supposedly ? does, so if it's already determined this person will die, why pray?

It doesn't make sense for an all-knowing ? to answer to prayers, it's already been determined by the most high, correct?

Prayer doesn't change anything. The bible states ? is never changing, so prayers cannot change a thing. It doesn't matter how much "faith" lies within you, if it's ? 's plan then it's set in stone.

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It's real simple, any prayers asking for understanding, are answered by ? . Any prayers asking for anything else are answered by the devil.

Imo, anyway.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Imo, anyway.

So if you ask for your mothers cancer to be cured and it happens, or ask for something similar it's Satan?
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Who knows... maybe prayer is more or less the act of humbling oneself before the Creator and showing that you have respect and appreciation for your life and all in it... Prayer isn't always asking for things... I always viewed it as a way to just show you are grateful by saying so via prayer
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I have the impression that maybe when it comes to ? being all knowing, that we have it figured out. Though it doesn't mean that I'm right either, I would like to think differently about it. I believe that when it comes to knowledge, ? is Lord over it all; that knowledge is at ? 's Mercy. We don't know what ? intends to do with knowledge or our understanding of things other than for His Glory. We can't say what prayer can or can't do.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    prayer.jpg

Best post I've seen in here so far.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I struggle with this to this day. Someone is sick you pray for them and they die the answer is it was Gods will and they are in a better place. If they live its thanks you ? for saving them. It gets frustrating because its almost like a slap in the face.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited January 2011
    Options
    So if you ask for your mothers cancer to be cured and it happens, or ask for something similar it's Satan?

The devil is usually up for lifting smaller burdens for larger ones.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The devil is usually up for lifting smaller burdens for larger ones.

Yea, he lifts the burden of your mothers impending death so that you can carry on happily and because of your remaining happiness you become rich in turn funding cancer research finding a cure with time.

Oh satan and his inhumanity.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Yea, he lifts the burden of your mothers impending death so that you can carry on happily and because of your remaining happiness you become rich in turn funding cancer research finding a cure with time.

Oh satan and his inhumanity.

Something like that.