Real talk. Speaking in tongues.

Jabu_Rule
Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Speaking in tongues is better known as Glossolalia. What the ? are they saying? Is this universal in the various churches of the lord of the Christians? Do these people really believe that they are having introspective convos with the big ? in the sky?

Bible Quotes

excerpt.
All Bible-believing Christians who study the Word of ? are in agreement that the gift of tongues is present in the inspired Scriptures. In the New Testament two lists of gifts appear in which the gift of tongues is included. In 1 Corinthians 12:8-11 “kinds of tongues” and “the interpretation of tongues” are said to be sovereignly bestowed gifts of the Holy Spirit. In 1 Corinthians 12:28-30 “tongues” appears in the list of gifts.

Comments

• KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    i'd like to see the actual written study mentioned in that video, because the news can pretty much just lie without repercussions, but a peer-reviewed journal isn't going to let this nonsense fly
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    it's some ? . ? ain't real at all.

Biblically, it means to speak in other languages. The gift was bestowed so a man could speak to anyone in their native tongue (language), even if he didn't know it.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    If you're babbling nonsensically, why would the language processing parts of the brain be as active as when speaking an actual language?
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    I forgot the exact term for this ? but its something similar to "social hypnosis."

If you are raised to believe something is true and there is a "special language" that only a space ? can understand and nobody bothers to correct you then you will eventually start "speaking" hat language because everybody else does.

I dont deny these ppl think they are speaking to ? . Just like people on LSD think they're in another world for real. THey are under the influence of drugs. And Christians are under the influence of stupidity. Just as dangerous and influential as any drug.
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited January 2011
    Somebody wrote: All Bible-believing Christians who study the Word of ? are in agreement that the gift of tongues is present in the inspired Scriptures. In the New Testament two lists of gifts appear in which the gift of tongues is included.
    In 1 Corinthians 12:8-11 “kinds of tongues” and “the interpretation of tongues” are said to be sovereignly bestowed gifts of the Holy Spirit. In 1 Corinthians 12:28-30 “tongues” appears in the list of gifts.

FuriousOne wrote: »
    Speaking in tongues is better known as Glossolalia. What the ? are they saying?
    Is this universal in the various churches of the lord of the Christians?
    Do these people really believe that they are having introspective convos with the big ? in the sky?

Suggested reading: 1 Corinthians 14.

There is disagreement among among people who claim to believe the bible as to what "speaking in tongues" is referring to.

One meaning of "speaking in tongues" is for ? to miraculously enable people of different language to understand each other.

[See Acts 2: 5-11].

Some groups lead initiates to think they must "speak in tongues" [actually gibberish] to prove they have recieved the Holy Spirit.
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    TheCATthatdidntDIE Members Posts: 918
    edited January 2011
    fiat_money wrote: »
    If you're babbling nonsensically, why would the language processing parts of the brain be as active as when speaking an actual language?

perhaps because you still convey meaning behind it. in other words, its a real language to you, as you are praying, so it reads as a language in the brain. loalapaoapapakaj could be you trying to say "? forgive me" in tongues. or that is what you mean anyway... (can't figure out quite how to word this explanation)
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Darxwell wrote: »
    I forgot the exact term for this ? but its something similar to "social hypnosis."

If you are raised to believe something is true and there is a "special language" that only a space ? can understand and nobody bothers to correct you then you will eventually start "speaking" hat language because everybody else does.

I dont deny these ppl think they are speaking to ? . Just like people on LSD think they're in another world for real. THey are under the influence of drugs. And Christians are under the influence of stupidity. Just as dangerous and influential as any drug.

I lol'd irl
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited January 2011
    Darxwell wrote: »

I dont deny these ppl think they are speaking to ? . Just like people on LSD think they're in another world for real. THey are under the influence of drugs.

And Christians are under the influence of stupidity.

Just as dangerous and influential as any drug.

I hope Jesus Christ has mercy on you, and, after He makes a believer out of you,

you will thank Him for showing you how concieted and stupid you were.