10 Commandments - Thou Shall Not Murder

VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
? gave direct commandments to Moses and one of them was, "thou shall not murder". No type of murder is accepted, this is seen in Exodus when ? is speaking about slaves or people being killed on accident, that the killer will be put to death for those killings.

Is murder and killing, biblically, any different?

After ? gives Moses the 10 Commandments, ? 's people decided (well Aaron did) to make a golden calf as an idol, which upsets ? . ? wants them destroyed but Moses sways ? 's decision. Then this..

27 Then he said to them, “This is what the LORD, the ? of Israel, says: ‘Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor.’”

Killing, which is a sin in the bible. These people were killed for honoring this golden calf as an idol. Isn't this considered murder? Is there a difference between a killing and a murder? 3,000 people were slaughtered.

30 The next day Moses said to the people, “You have committed a great sin. But now I will go up to the LORD; perhaps I can make atonement for your sin.”

31 So Moses went back to the LORD and said, “Oh, what a great sin these people have committed! They have made themselves gods of gold. 32 But now, please forgive their sin—but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written.”

33 The LORD replied to Moses, “Whoever has sinned against me I will blot out of my book. 34 Now go, lead the people to the place I spoke of, and my angel will go before you. However, when the time comes for me to punish, I will punish them for their sin.”

35 And the LORD struck the people with a plague because of what they did with the calf Aaron had made.

Now here we have a great sin committed but it isn't murder, it's the idolatry of the golden calf. Not only does Moses try to atone for this "great sin" of the idol, ? strikes them all with a plague.

Now how is murder acceptable but the golden calf is inexcusable? Also, who is he striking down with plagues if the previous verse they all killed 3,000 for the same exact thing?

This chapter doesn't make any sense at all.

Again, what is the difference between murder and killing for this chapter?

Why did they murder 3,000 people? If it was for the idol, which it seems it is, then all those people should be dead. Why did ? strike his own people with a plague then?

Comments

• Drgoo0285
    Drgoo0285 Members Posts: 513 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    well.. earlier it just says the people were worshiping the calf. Moses came and asked who ever would stand up for ? to rally with him. The levites came with him. it never said they were innocent it just that they would stand up for ? when asked. They killed the 3,000 to purge their tribe of the unrepentant people, and the plague was the punishment for the people who worshiped the calf but "repented"
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    inb4people try to justify wars by trying to differentiate murder from killing.
  • Drgoo0285
    edited January 2011
    it is also interesting to think about the differences in the old and new testament. In the old ? would tell people to ? the un-godly. In the new testament the un-godly almost always ? the people of ?
  • VIBE
    edited January 2011
    Chike wrote: »
    inb4people try to justify wars by ignoring the 1rst commandment

What does that have to do with murder though? I see ? punished with a plague, which isn't murder. But these people, who ? never said to ? , killed. Moses made that decision on his own and it seems like he liked to do that in the bible.

I understand the what is being stated, but why murder when there's a Commandment against that? It wasn't self defense, it was anger and hatred and jealously - all that lead to "sins" correct?

@Drgoo, they repented why the ? mistreat them? So that means ain't no one gonna get away without a scratch then. I repent ? ! "I don't give a ? , I'm still gonna strike you down with something horrible!!!"

? joke bro, seriously.
  • Drgoo0285
    edited January 2011
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    @Drgoo, they repented why the ? mistreat them? So that means ain't no one gonna get away without a scratch then. I repent ? ! "I don't give a ? , I'm still gonna strike you down with something horrible!!!"

? joke bro, seriously.

well they weren't killed. They just had some hardships.
    Even in everyday life. If you are caught doing a crime 9 chances out of ten you'll get punished for it even if you are repentant for your actions. You'll have less of a chance to get the maximum if you show remorse.

they didn't get the maximum

living through a plague > being stabbed to death.
  • VIBE
    edited January 2011
    Drgoo0285 wrote: »
    well they weren't killed. They just had some hardships.
    Even in everyday life. If you are caught doing a crime 9 chances out of ten you'll get punished for it even if you are repentant for your actions. You'll have less of a chance to get the maximum if you show remorse.

they didn't get the maximum

living through a plague > being stabbed to death.

So what kind of message is this for believers today? Even if you repent, you aren't forgiven. ? holds a grudge and will make you pay. So there is no actual forgiveness at all.
  • Drgoo0285
    edited January 2011
    So what kind of message is this for believers today? Even if you repent, you aren't forgiven. ? holds a grudge and will make you pay. So there is no actual forgiveness at all.

What kind of message would it send if all you had to do was repent ,you could do anything you wanted and you suffered no consequences for your actions?
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    "Thou shalt try real hard not to ? anyone, unless of course they pray to a different invisible man from the one you pray to."

-George Carlin

/thread
  • VIBE
    edited January 2011
    What kind of message would it send if all you had to do was repent ,you could do anything you wanted and you suffered no consequences for your actions?

Isn't that what forgiveness is? If I forgive my child for breaking a glass cup, should I still punish them? No, especially if it's only once which seemed to be the case here.

Now if it's repetitive, I see a punishment.

So if I ask for forgiveness, I repent, I'm still going to be punished by an all-loving ? who "understands". How does that work?
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited January 2011
    shootemwon wrote: »
    "Thou shalt try real hard not to ? anyone, unless of course they pray to a different invisible man from the one you pray to."

-George Carlin

/thread

Reopen thread

GOAT COMEDIAN

/thread again
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    When people sinned in the Old Testament, it wasn't as if that at one point in life that they were morally without sin...then they do something that is considered sin. Before the Ten Commandments, man didn't know that they were sinners in the eyes of ? . The commandments are not just rules you have to follow. It also serves as a reminder of man's standing with ? .
  • Drgoo0285
    edited January 2011
    Isn't that what forgiveness is? If I forgive my child for breaking a glass cup, should I still punish them? No, especially if it's only once which seemed to be the case here.

Now if it's repetitive, I see a punishment.

So if I ask for forgiveness, I repent, I'm still going to be punished by an all-loving ? who "understands". How does that work?

my guess is you do not have/work with children. A punishment does not mean you are not forgiven. it teaches kids there are consequences to your actions.

If you caught your teenage son selling ? for the first time wouldn't you punish him?
  • VIBE
    edited January 2011
    my guess is you do not have/work with children. A punishment does not mean you are not forgiven. it teaches kids there are consequences to your actions.

If you caught your teenage son selling ? for the first time wouldn't you punish him?

Your guess is wrong, I have 3 children. I don't punish my children on the first time, it's after I have to tell them more than 2 times I punish them. They're kids, what you tell them 20 minutes ago is completely gone out of their mind. Anyways...

It's not about who punishes who, we're talking about a ? who is supposedly "all-loving". This magician in the sky says you can ask for forgiveness and it will be forgiven, correct? If you are "forgiven" then why are you still punished by this all loving ? ?

If you punched me and said, "Oh VIBE forgive me", I'll say "No problem" then I punch you in the face, would you consider I just forgave you or acted like an ? ?

? is an ? if he forgives then punishes. Might as well state, "No I don't forgive you, I punish you". There is obviously no forgiveness with ? . Why do we ask for it then? It's ? and that's shown here. You stated they repented for the idol, which means they had to have asked ? for forgiveness - that obviously fell on deaf ears and ? didn't give a ? .

BTW, why is ? punishing them for something that isn't a moral?
    ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your ? in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

These aren't morals but rules for a jealous ? . But yet they got punished for it, but something that was actually broken in morality was murder...
    SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

These are truthfully the only morals there are in the 10 Commandments. Everything else is just a rule for ? . The last Commandment about coveting your neighbors ? is basically along the lines of do not steal or commit adultery.

So only 3 real things for morality, the others are rules for a jealous ? .

So with that said, ? punishes easily for something so petty - a rather petty human emotion. I can easily forgive someone for something this petty, most humans can excuse a lot of ? without punishment. Yet ? cannot let this golden calf go? Really? This petty idol was deserving of 3,000 dead and the others plagued? That's laughable.

? shares a petty ass human emotion, really? The same man who knows everything, created everything and all but yet cannot let a golden calf go but allow murder - as long as it's in his name?

This is ? , lol it really is. Think about it, ? is a human concept, ? is in our minds. ? shouldn't have these human emotions, ? should be greater than that. He isn't, obviously.

Murder in his name - SURE, OKAY!!!

Worship a golden calf - ? people and get struck down with some sickness.

Does that sound right to you? You think a court would allow murder but put you in prison for a golden calf?

HEY, what about today? Why aren't people being killed for their idols?
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    If being a sinner is just about comitting a crime against ? , then it would be difficult to accept ? 's Forgiveness if it doesn't stop you from getting punished. However, I believe it is not. Also, if "all-loving" is suppose to mean that ? is this infinite bundle of happy emotions, then I would be disappointed, too. I believe differently about this. To even put it in common terms, there is something "fake" about people who seem to be "loving" all the time. No matter how much someone hates their guts, they just turn around and smile and say, "I love you". They have no sense of the reasons for why someone might be upset. They may be in denial of their own insecurities so they make like insults don't hurt. Something is wrong with the world and it's going to take more than a bunch of "I love you"'s to fix it.
  • Drgoo0285
    edited January 2011
    HEY, what about today? Why aren't people being killed for their idols?

Well one the differences between, the new and old testament are at work here.

Old testament was about psychical things you had to do to become holy i.e. sacrifices, food laws, and such . Humans could not do anything in themselves to be holy, so ? gave us his son to be punished and die for our sins . We then become holy because Jesus changes our hearts.

So under the old covenant it was more about a holy nation. In the new covenant it's more about being holy individuals.

Now, if Bob down the street is worshiping an idol, you just pray for him...
  • Drgoo0285
    edited January 2011
    alissowack wrote: »
    If being a sinner is just about comitting a crime against ? , then it would be difficult to accept ? 's Forgiveness if it doesn't stop you from getting punished. However, I believe it is not. Also, if "all-loving" is suppose to mean that ? is this infinite bundle of happy emotions, then I would be disappointed, too. I believe differently about this. To even put it in common terms, there is something "fake" about people who seem to be "loving" all the time. No matter how much someone hates their guts, they just turn around and smile and say, "I love you". They have no sense of the reasons for why someone might be upset. They may be in denial of their own insecurities so they make like insults don't hurt. Something is wrong with the world and it's going to take more than a bunch of "I love you"'s to fix it.

this...for real
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Chike wrote: »
    inb4people try to justify wars by trying to differentiate murder from killing.

Murder by definition is unlawful killing. If you are killing at the behest of the highest ranking authority, as part of a legally sanctioned conflict, or under circumstances where killing is legally permissable you by definition are not committing murder.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    I've asked this question before in regards to ? and his commissioning killing and his own killing:

If you were to teach someone not to ? , would it better to only ? righteously or to have never killed at all?
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Murder by definition is unlawful killing. If you are killing at the behest of the highest ranking authority, as part of a legally sanctioned conflict, or under circumstances where killing is legally permissable you by definition are not committing murder.

Tell that to the ? 's. They were killing whole sale at the command of their leader. Most went to the hague
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited January 2011
    Your guess is wrong, I have 3 children. ....................

Wonderful.

Did you give them any rules when they were toddlers ["don't go out of the yard alone"]
    that you rescinded when they became older ?

Are you pleased when they show faith in you ?

Would you be pleased if they thought you a liar ?

Are you concerned when one of your children mistreats a sibling ?

Do you want your children to "love one another" ?

While they were toddlers, did you think they could understand anything/everything you knew ?

Concerning the death/killing of OT:

Do you realize that from ? 's POV, "death" is just a transition ?

That our physical life in this world is but a "drop in the bucket" ?
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Wrath makes no sense as a form of punishment, especially if you are looking at it as controlled or fair. For instance, a child born into the world with an incurable disease would bring just as much or more pain and punishment on the people that love that child as the plague brought on these killers. The child has done nothing, the killers have killed. So, to ask why is trying to make sense of something that will not make sense to a clear thinker. I hope I am wrong about the bible because so many people believe that the bible explains ? for them but I just don't see it that way. The bible makes little to no sense for large portions of the ride.
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    alissowack wrote: »

What has really been fixed? Even when he supposedly sent his only begotten son that didn't fix anything feasible. There is a difference between kicking knowledge and making valid points my friend. Lastly, it says somewhere in the bible that ? forgives 70x's7 times or something like that. Not too many people commit the same sin that many times and it sure was not done here. The truth is just to get mad to the point of ? everybody wrath because something happens when bible people say you are all-knowing does not make any sense.
  • Israelites
    Israelites Members Posts: 280
    edited January 2011

if you believe this, you really need to get you some understanding of the book, & if you really feel this way, why are you so bothered by what's written, we all get it bro, your an atheist or whatever you want to call yourself... why do you continue to let the book upset you? Just let it go, you remind me of the parable of the sowing seed.

Luke 8:5-18 (King James Version)

5A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it.

6And some fell upon a rock; and as soon as it was sprung up, it withered away, because it lacked moisture.

7And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it.

8And other fell on good ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit an hundredfold. And when he had said these things, he cried, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

9And his disciples asked him, saying, What might this parable be?

10And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of ? : but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

11Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of ? .

12Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

13They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.

14And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.

15But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

16No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light.

17For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad.

18Take heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Israelites wrote: »
    if you believe this, you really need to get you some understanding of the book, & if you really feel this way, why are you so bothered by what's written, we all get it bro, your an atheist or whatever you want to call yourself... why do you continue to let the book upset you?

These types of arguments are really weak and repetitive. Maybe these sorts of topics just interest him because it is everywhere. This is the only place that i've been able to have such honest discussions out side of the real world. You can flesh out all of your concerns or ideas here. This is a Race & Religion board. The people who grew up around religion no matter if they were ever religious, feel that topics like these which influence world policy are important to them because they see something very wrong with it's hold on society..

You can't let go of something that affects the way you live your life which includes your relations with highly religious family and communities. Unless people are walking around professing their hate for religion (the opposite of what religious people do often and loudly) i see noting wrong with this illuminating discussions.
  • Israelites
    Israelites Members Posts: 280
    edited January 2011
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    These types of arguments are really weak and repetitive. Maybe these sorts of topics just interest him because it is everywhere. This is the only place that i've been able to have such honest discussions out side of the real world. You can flesh out all of your concerns or ideas here. This is a Race & Religion board. The people who grew up around religion no matter if they were ever religious, feel that topics like these which influence world policy are important to them because they see something very wrong with it's hold on society..

You can't let go of something that affects the way you live your life which includes your relations with highly religious family and communities. Unless people are walking around professing their hate for religion (the opposite of what religious people do often and loudly) i see noting wrong with this illuminating discussions.

I understand your point, but this is why I asked vibe, because I have a small rapport w/the brother & trust me, I could let go of something I didn't believe in with no problem even if it wasn't on the up & up w/others around me. Religious folks are the worst!