Segregating Black Students For Their Own Sake

2»

Comments

• shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    I always was bored to death in geometry in high school and avoided anything vaguely resembling it in college, but I am kind of curious as to why the ? the Pythagorean theorem is so important. I mean I know you can use it to figure out the length of a hypotenuse on a right triangle (if you somehow already know the lengths of the other two sides) but it must be useful for other things. Pythagoras name rings out in mathematics.
  • PLASTIC RULES
    PLASTIC RULES Members Posts: 1,535 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    yeah, like i said, that's not actually true

i understand that you're just going to parrot what somebody told you, but the fact is that cultures can't "steal everything they know" from anybody

typical Greek-loving ? arguing semantics when he knows exactly what i mean.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    shootemwon wrote: »
    I always was bored to death in geometry in high school and avoided anything vaguely resembling it in college, but I am kind of curious as to why the ? the Pythagorean theorem is so important. I mean I know you can use it to figure out the length of a hypotenuse on a right triangle (if you somehow already know the lengths of the other two sides) but it must be useful for other things. Pythagoras name rings out in mathematics.

its probably the basis of trigonometry

i dunno, i felt like my intelligence was always being insulted in geometry class

i know what a ? circle is, i'm 13 years old, move onto the implications
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    typical Greek-loving ? arguing semantics when he knows exactly what i mean.

no the thing is you're just wrong

there is NO EVIDENCE that africans previously had the stuff various greek thinkers got credit for

and afrocentrics answer to this is that "well they destroyed the evidence, of course"

but theres no evidence that happened either

everybody in the Mediterranean shared culture, science, and technology with each other

everybody contributed and everybody benefited

the important thing about the greeks was that their rebel thinkers (who they didn't even like) founded western philosophy, which would change the world by spawning empiricism
  • shootemwon
    edited January 2011
    PLASTIC RULES, I just did some quick research on your claim regarding the Pythagorean theorem. You are indeed correct that this formula predated Pythagoras in Ancient Egypt (through the Ancient Babylonians may have discovered it first), however, it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that Western Education is trying to give Pythagoras credit for inventing it. Any serious scholar who discusses the matter would surely agree that Pythagoras was not the first to discover the Pythagorean theorem, however, the formula came to be named after him because his work with it is what made it famous. Back during the days of the Greek Empire I'm sure they wanted to claim credit and gas up Pythagoras cause he's their hometown favorite, but as I said, any worthwhile Western scholar today would be aware and open about the fact that Pythagoras did not really invent it.

I will admit kids in their middle school math classes DO usually end up getting the impression that Pythagoras invented the Pythagorean theorem, but I don't think that has anything to do with a eurocentric agenda. Rather, it's math class and not history, so by the time kids actually learn the word "Pythagorean", the math teacher can't be bothered telling them "But wait, the guy they named it after didn't invent it!" and getting off on a history lesson when half the kids can't count without their fingers.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    once i read the word mccaskey and seen that it was the one in lancaster PA, i read no futher.

you just have to understand the town of lancaster to understand the constant fail that is the life fluid of their town
  • CrownChakra
    CrownChakra Members Posts: 351
    edited January 2011
    seriously, what does an "afrocentric" education entail?

"well kids, we stopped inventing things in about 1000 BC, then we got taken over and shipped off. the end. oh wait, we also invented peanut butter."

This is why I can never take you seriously.

Its a school that focuses on African achievement in Canada as opposed to the euro-centric system thats instituted in every school. Instead of using European authors in English it will be African. Music will be more Afrocentric. Everything across the board that can show African Achievement will be used.

There is nothing wrong with a euro-centric school system, the only problem is it leaves all other cultures out.
  • MICHAEL-V.I.
    MICHAEL-V.I. Members Posts: 1,898 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    (CNN) -- A Pennsylvania high school says some students are separated by race, gender and language for a few minutes each day in an effort to boost academic scores, raising controversy over the historically contentious issue of segregation in schools.
    The initiative is a pilot program intended to capitalize on "enriching students' experiences through mentoring" and is derived from school research "that shows grouping black students by gender with a strong role model can help boost their academic achievement and self esteem," according to a statement from McCaskey East High School in Lancaster.
    "Educators immediately noticed strong bonds being formed between all students and mentor teachers," the statement said.
    The junior class at McCaskey East is voluntarily segregated by the students, who organize themselves "by gender, race and/or language," said school spokeswoman Kelly Burkholder.
    But some school experts say the experiment is misguided.
    "When we talk about reducing the achievement gap, do we mean merely reducing the discrepancy of test scores of white students and students of color?" asked education consultant Sam Chaltain. "Or do we mean reducing the predictive impact that things like race, class and gender have on all aspects of student engagement, performance and learning?"
    The school's principal defended the policy.
    "One of the things we said when we did this was, 'Let's look at the data, let's not run from it. Let's confront it and see what we can do about it,'" said school principal Bill Jimenez. "In visiting the classrooms, I saw students planning their path for success after graduation."
    But while McCaskey East students are "segregated" for six minutes each day and 20 minutes twice a month, some say other school systems in the country appear to be reverting to real segregation.
    Last month, the NAACP held a three-day education summit in Raleigh, North Carolina, where the Wake County School Board, bolstered by the election of four new conservative members last year, ended the school system's 10-year-old diversity policy that used the number of students receiving free or reduced-price lunches to assign students to schools.
    They plan to replace the policy with a "neighborhood schools system" that critics say will establish real segregation.
    "School boards across this country are rolling the clock back to the time before Brown vs. the Board of Education," NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous said in a statement. "The NAACP will not let this happen."
    The 1954 case from Topeka, Kansas, ruled that segregation in public schools was unconstitutional, overturning an earlier ruling in a decision that determined "separate educational facilities are inherently unequal."
    But as educators look for new ways to improve student aptitude, some point out that McCaskey East High School could have the right idea. A national study from UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies claims to show that girls from single-sex schools have an edge over their co-ed peers.
    "Single-sex education appears to produce favorable outcomes for female students, especially in terms of their confidence, engagement and aspirations, most notably in areas related to math and science," the 2008 study said.

i dunno if this thread has been done the story is 2,3 days old but any thoughts?

i'm for separating female and male students but i dunno. historically in the u.s. black students have done better academically in segregated schools but would school districts and funding be divvied up... and would the separate but equal doctrine be upheld?

if I aint go to a all boys school I wouldn't have graduated H.S. @ all , let alone @ 16

But segregating again..

Racism still alive they just be concealin it
  • PLASTIC RULES
    edited January 2011
    no the thing is you're just wrong

there is NO EVIDENCE that africans previously had the stuff various greek thinkers got credit for

and afrocentrics answer to this is that "well they destroyed the evidence, of course"

but theres no evidence that happened either

everybody in the Mediterranean shared culture, science, and technology with each other

everybody contributed and everybody benefited

the important thing about the greeks was that their rebel thinkers (who they didn't even like) founded western philosophy, which would change the world by spawning empiricism

if by shared you mean, one ? took what someone else told him and tried to pass it off as his own. we call that plagiarism ? , its a serious academic offense. those ? ain't even cite, B.

i wonder where the greek philosophers got their ideas from.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    This is why I can never take you seriously.

Its a school that focuses on African achievement in Canada as opposed to the euro-centric system thats instituted in every school. Instead of using European authors in English it will be African. Music will be more Afrocentric. Everything across the board that can show African Achievement will be used.

There is nothing wrong with a euro-centric school system, the only problem is it leaves all other cultures out.

1. African people haven't done anything in Canada that was vital to its history.

2. You're complaining about Eurocentric education leaving other cultures out while praising an Afrocentric system that clearly leaves others out as well.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    if by shared you mean, one ? took what someone else told him and tried to pass it off as his own. we call that plagiarism ? , its a serious academic offense. those ? ain't even cite, B.

i wonder where the greek philosophers got their ideas from.

See, this is how I can tell you're a ? . The Greeks weren't uniform in their philosophical schools of thought at all. They had a diverse array of ideas, but NONE of them are preceded anywhere by any Africans.

Africans were still believing in fictional gods while Socrates was basically promoting reason and agnosticism.
  • PLASTIC RULES
    edited January 2011
    shootemwon wrote: »
    PLASTIC RULES, I just did some quick research on your claim regarding the Pythagorean theorem. You are indeed correct that this formula predated Pythagoras

is basically all you needed to say, everything else you posted is unnecessary positioning and can be shut down with ease.
  • CrownChakra
    CrownChakra Members Posts: 351
    edited January 2011
    1. African people haven't done anything in Canada that was vital to its history.

2. You're complaining about Eurocentric education leaving other cultures out while praising an Afrocentric system that clearly leaves others out as well.

WTF do you know about Africans in Canadian culture!? Are you Canadian?

When Latinos and Asians and other cultures have the ? to ask for the same thing I wont have a problem with it.

If Euro-centric schools didn't leave out other cultures PURPOSELY then there wouldn't be a need for a Afrocentric school.

Stop speaking on topics you obviously dont know ? about. Stick to "Pro Wrestling"
  • PLASTIC RULES
    edited January 2011
    See, this is how I can tell you're a ? . The Greeks weren't uniform in their philosophical schools of thought at all. They had a diverse array of ideas, but NONE of them are preceded anywhere by any Africans.

Africans were still believing in fictional gods while Socrates was basically promoting reason and agnosticism.

westerners still believe in fictional gods. your post is laughable tho and adds nothing to the discussion except unsubstantiated and typical euro-centric revisionist claims. its basically akin to a little kid refusing to believe Santa ain't real.
  • shootemwon
    edited January 2011
    is basically all you needed to say, everything else you posted is unnecessary positioning and can be shut down with ease.

Except the part where I said that while Egypt knew the formula, Babylon discovered it before Egypt. Babylon is not in Africa so it actually means you're wrong about the origin of the Pythagorean theorem.