Becoming a cop...

pimped_out_red
pimped_out_red Members Posts: 894 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
Living in Charlotte and just decided i want to become a cop...my associate degree in computer networking will be my plan B, but right now im focused on being a cop...I want to know if anybody has any ideas on what its like...

Before niccas start sayin dumb ? :

Im 6'0 and played defensive linemen in high school( built for it)

I was raised in a community full of poverty(street smart)

And i figure that i could make a difference(understanding the struggle, not looking through eyes of judgement)

Comments

• SoutCity
    SoutCity Members Posts: 1,901 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Go for it. I don't know about the states but down here in the ? Islands, The to easiest jobs police and fire.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    but but but you're a ? and a member of the bloods
  • pimped_out_red
    pimped_out_red Members Posts: 894 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Yea but thats what will make me a successful cop...knowing both worlds, the IT field brought me around a bunch of ppl i would have never interacted with before, and the community im from did the same...best of both worlds...i dont like using the word hood, all these thugs using the word like its something to be proud of...like their parents wanted them to be there
  • thehonorable
    thehonorable Members Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    23 years and I aint ever met a good cop.

Only like 1 of 3 lines I can vibe with from Drake.
  • The BAPHOMET
    The BAPHOMET Members Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Yea but thats what will make me a successful cop...knowing both worlds, the IT field brought me around a bunch of ppl i would have never interacted with before, and the community im from did the same...best of both worlds...i dont like using the word hood, all these thugs using the word like its something to be proud of...like their parents wanted them to be there

1st ? on the "hood" & 2nd arrogance is key to being a successful cop, you are halfway there, oh yeah most cities and/or towns require an associate degree in criminal justice, so start taking classes prior to joining you'll be a step ahead of the rest
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Watch ya back. ? been bussin back at the pigs as of late.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    cops dont even fight crime no more.. all them ? do now is write tickets..

but it kills me how ? say the same ? goin in (wantin to make a difference) ? 's admirable but 9 x's outta 10 that ? aint happenin.. basically its like a ? sayin he go join the gang to protect his hood.. and truth be told thats how gangs started.. and ? .. cops are the biggest gangs out there..

so in summation.. ? THE POLICE!!!
  • playa629
    playa629 Members Posts: 28
    edited January 2011
    Dont do it...I only say that because from what Ive seen, only one of two things will happen. Im going thru this ? with my brother now, he is older than I am and I cannot believe the changes that have already occurred after 4-5 years on the job.

You will either A.) Completely change as a person. Your views of what is right and wrong will change from being surrounded by the same like-minded individuals. Im not talking peer-pressure like HS and College, Im talking real-life situations where you wont have a choice. And once you cross that line, there is no going back. You will feel the power you have...it will 100% go to your head in areas that you subconsciously will not even recognize. You WILL treat people different, those closest to you...friends...girls, your boys, whatever. You will become hardened to life to the point that you will lose certain areas of emotion (which may or may not be good), and it will be difficult to ever get them back. I lost two real close relatives this past year, and was shocked by his coldness. It wasnt like he didnt care...it was like he didnt know how to show he cared, other than the typical "this is life, everyone dies at some point" type BS.

or B.) You will realize all this ? 1 year into the job and will quit, and will make you hate cops even more than you do today.

If you want to make a difference, get into Community Relations or Community Activism. Truth be told, even if you manage to do some great work...no one will appreciate it, and appreciation may not be what you are out for, but it helps in making the life livable from day to day.
  • CapitalB
    edited January 2011
    playa629 wrote: »
    Dont do it...I only say that because from what Ive seen, only one of two things will happen. Im going thru this ? with my brother now, he is older than I am and I cannot believe the changes that have already occurred after 4-5 years on the job.

You will either A.) Completely change as a person. Your views of what is right and wrong will change from being surrounded by the same like-minded individuals. Im not talking peer-pressure like HS and College, Im talking real-life situations where you wont have a choice. And once you cross that line, there is no going back. You will feel the power you have...it will 100% go to your head in areas that you subconsciously will not even recognize. You WILL treat people different, those closest to you...friends...girls, your boys, whatever. You will become hardened to life to the point that you will lose certain areas of emotion (which may or may not be good), and it will be difficult to ever get them back. I lost two real close relatives this past year, and was shocked by his coldness. It wasnt like he didnt care...it was like he didnt know how to show he cared, other than the typical "this is life, everyone dies at some point" type BS.

or B.) You will realize all this ? 1 year into the job and will quit, and will make you hate cops even more than you do today.

If you want to make a difference, get into Community Relations or Community Activism. Truth be told, even if you manage to do some great work...no one will appreciate it, and appreciation may not be what you are out for, but it helps in making the life livable from day to day.

i got a homeboy who was "B"
    35k and a gun sounds good to a ? turnin 21..
    that ? regrets that ? like a mu'? .. i dont know if he got fired or quit.. but the time he was there me and that ? stayed arguin..

iunno somethin about minorities bein cops and in the armed forces disturb me..
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    that ? 's a ? job....seriously homie.. it's just a job...

u look at it as anymore than a job... u ? up

the second u get caught up in anything that makes it more than a job.. u going to see your whole life slip away from you...

this is only from personal experience though...from people i know in law enforcement....but out of those people, the only ones that are cool are the ones who know how to turn that ? on and off when they leave the job....

if ur still a cop even when u not a work...u doing too much for 35K a year
  • SoutCity
    edited January 2011
    playa629 wrote: »

B) Happened to by brother when he was a cop in the states.
    A) Is happening to him how as a cop in the VI
  • SoutCity
    edited January 2011
    dusouljah wrote: »

the second u get caught up in anything that makes it more than a job.. u going to see your whole life slip away from you...

this is only from personal experience though...from people i know in law enforcement....but out of those people, the only ones that are cool are the ones who know how to turn that ? on and off when they leave the job....

Down here cop are always at work. If you off duty and see some ? happening and ignore it them mother ? taking your badge.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2011

Being a cop is a career for some people...don't look down on it like that
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    My boy was in class tryin to become and at the end of the semester the teacher told everyone you dont want to be a cop it's a miserable job it's mainly paper work horrible hours and everyone you see hates you.... Imagine how you feel when you get a ticket imagine ppl trying to bribe you.... Imagine being bitter and having to put up with everything being a cop is literally the most suicidal job in America. Why not become a fire fighter the job is far better you get a paid a little more and only have to take 1 year of classes If I wasnt making over 60k a year I would be a fire fighter and you get to help ppl without everyone hating u.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    it ain't even about looking down on it, but them dudes lose their personal identity in a job....? 's not cool...

? let that ? consume them....take over their lives and their family.....? don't even think like regular people anymore...

when u get that serious about anyjob, when it becomes a lively hood.. i just don'tthink it's a good look, it's not worth it IMO...

if u can't turn that ? off...why sign up?
  • The BAPHOMET
    edited January 2011
    mrsoutcity wrote: »
    Down here cop are always at work. If you off duty and see some ? happening and ignore it them mother ? taking your badge.

that is everywhere
  • CapitalB
    edited January 2011
    My boy was in class tryin to become and at the end of the semester the teacher told everyone you dont want to be a cop it's a miserable job it's mainly paper work horrible hours and everyone you see hates you.... Imagine how you feel when you get a ticket imagine ppl trying to bribe you.... Imagine being bitter and having to put up with everything being a cop is literally the most suicidal job in America. Why not become a fire fighter the job is far better you get a paid a little more and only have to take 1 year of classes If I wasnt making over 60k a year I would be a fire fighter and you get to help ppl without everyone hating u.

my step pops is a fire fighter..
    he said cops are those who couldnt make the cut. hahaha

i guess they dont jus hire anybody..
    but yeh.. fire fighters have that ? good.. work like 8 days out the month.. and the overtime and promotions are real good too..

u jus gotta be in shape like a professional athlete to get through camp though. hahaha
  • The BAPHOMET
    edited January 2011

real ? , you ride around & do paperwork for 7 and a half hours, 30 mins is spent actually doing police work
  • Got Em Shook
    Got Em Shook Members Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    You dont wanna be a cop man....35k a year aint ? . If you wanna be a "officer" become a Animal Control Officer lol hell they get paid more than cops in some places
  • CapitalB
    edited January 2011
    You dont wanna be a cop man....35k a year aint ? . If you wanna be a "officer" become a Animal Control Officer lol hell they get paid more than cops in some places

and that 35k is before taxes...
    i know they be ? pullin ? over ridin in better cars then them wearin clothes they can only dream to afford..
    it has to really suck to be a cop..
  • Got Em Shook
    Got Em Shook Members Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Hell this guy at my church works for the ASPCA here and he makes damn near 60k but hes been there for like 20+ years
  • jasonwllms55
    jasonwllms55 Members Posts: 810 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    more power to u, i couldnt be no damn cop though. cant pay me enough to police these heathens
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    but but but you're a ? and a member of the bloods
    U not knowing?

Those be the main pigs. LAPD and SHERIFFS DEPT is full of bloods and crips out here.

THink about what cops do. And think about what they do.

Same gang members. Same activities. Different dress code.
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    it ain't even about looking down on it, but them dudes lose their personal identity in a job....? 's not cool...

? let that ? consume them....take over their lives and their family.....? don't even think like regular people anymore...

when u get that serious about anyjob, when it becomes a lively hood.. i just don'tthink it's a good look, it's not worth it IMO...

if u can't turn that ? off...why sign up?

must be why muz never aims me anymore :cry :cry
  • BASED Zod
    BASED Zod Members Posts: 68
    edited January 2011
    T/S I wish death upon you, I pray that your family and friends care for you so deeply the loss of you is so great that they decide to take their own lives, I wish nothing but suffering and despair on your children's children's children.