10 Commandments - Thou Shall Not Murder

2»

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    Tell that to the ? 's. They were killing whole sale at the command of their leader. Most went to the hague

Under German Law it wasn't murder. Sure we look at it as despicable and it is, but that's because we don't abide by ? Germany law either.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Under German Law it wasn't murder. Sure we look at it as despicable and it is, but that's because we don't abide by ? Germany law either.

Under the law of the victor, it was.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    GSonII wrote: »
    [/B]
    What has really been fixed? Even when he supposedly sent his only begotten son that didn't fix anything feasible. There is a difference between kicking knowledge and making valid points my friend. Lastly, it says somewhere in the bible that ? forgives 70x's7 times or something like that. Not too many people commit the same sin that many times and it sure was not done here. The truth is just to get mad to the point of ? everybody wrath because something happens when bible people say you are all-knowing does not make any sense.

You must not have read my post, sir. How do you get "something getting fixed" out of the post you highlighted? I wasn't suggesting that anything will get fixed. Jesus's Death and Resurrection isn't about whether it fixes the issues of the world. The "70 times 7" is in response to a question on how many times man should forgive and even then the numbers are not the point. ? sees man as sin and because of that, the world could get it's act together on it's own; walk around practicing good morals and ? will not see man any different. There is a verse that refers to all acts of righteousness being filthy rags.
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    people dont seem to care about any commandments.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    vibe86 wrote: »
    ? gave direct commandments to moses and one of them was, "thou shall not murder". No type of murder is accepted, this is seen in exodus when ? is speaking about slaves or people being killed on accident, that the killer will be put to death for those killings.

Is murder and killing, biblically, any different?

After ? gives moses the 10 commandments, ? 's people decided (well aaron did) to make a golden calf as an idol, which upsets ? . ? wants them destroyed but moses sways ? 's decision. Then this..

27 then he said to them, “this is what the lord, the ? of israel, says: ‘each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor.’”

killing, which is a sin in the bible. These people were killed for honoring this golden calf as an idol. Isn't this considered murder? Is there a difference between a killing and a murder? 3,000 people were slaughtered.

30 the next day moses said to the people, “you have committed a great sin. But now i will go up to the lord; perhaps i can make atonement for your sin.”

31 so moses went back to the lord and said, “oh, what a great sin these people have committed! They have made themselves gods of gold. 32 but now, please forgive their sin—but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written.”

33 the lord replied to moses, “whoever has sinned against me i will blot out of my book. 34 now go, lead the people to the place i spoke of, and my angel will go before you. However, when the time comes for me to punish, i will punish them for their sin.”

35 and the lord struck the people with a plague because of what they did with the calf aaron had made.

now here we have a great sin committed but it isn't murder, it's the idolatry of the golden calf. Not only does moses try to atone for this "great sin" of the idol, ? strikes them all with a plague.

Now how is murder acceptable but the golden calf is inexcusable? Also, who is he striking down with plagues if the previous verse they all killed 3,000 for the same exact thing?

This chapter doesn't make any sense at all.

Again, what is the difference between murder and killing for this chapter?

Why did they murder 3,000 people? If it was for the idol, which it seems it is, then all those people should be dead. Why did ? strike his own people with a plague then?

lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Under the law of the victor, it was.

There was no recognized conflict for much of their killing commited by the Nazis so a "law of the victor" doesn't apply. It's why the Nazis could be tried for the holocaust. They didn't ? the Jews as part of war. They just mass murdered them.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    There was no recognized conflict for much of their killing commited by the Nazis so a "law of the victor" doesn't apply. It's why the Nazis could be tried for the holocaust. They didn't ? the Jews as part of war. They just mass murdered them.

According to the ? 's, it was a War strategy and the conflict was created by the Jews. So the jews were a swon enemy.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    According to the ? 's, it was a War strategy and the conflict was created by the Jews.
    maybe the latter, but the former doesn't seem accurate considering that they saw it as something to resolve in nations they were no longer at war with (and espoused before they were ever at war)