Buddhism

akforty7
akforty7 Members Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Are there are Buddhists or people who have studied Buddhism here?

I ask because I am taking a class on Buddhism in my final semester of college. I am really enjoying learning about it so far and can definitely appreciate the philosophy.

Wanted to see if anyone else could share their opinions on it or experiences with it.

Comments

• Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Im taking this class. It was just going to be a filler class that i was going to drop but i find myself liking it
  • akforty7
    edited January 2011
    Im taking this class. It was just going to be a filler class that i was going to drop but i find myself liking it

Same with me. I am enjoying what I learn and much of it can be applied to any lifestyle of any religion actually... We are also required to attend a meditation session and I think I will really like that.
  • MICHAEL-V.I.
    MICHAEL-V.I. Members Posts: 1,898 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    akforty7 wrote: »

are there are buddhists or people who have studied buddhism here?

I ask because i am taking a class on buddhism in my final semester of college. I am really enjoying learning about it so far and can definitely appreciate the philosophy.

Wanted to see if anyone else could share their opinions on it or experiences with it.

i'm a buddha monk ak

but i don't practice buddhism or any religion
  • Chi-Town Bully
    edited January 2011
    Right now we starting off with the 3 jewels. Buddha, Dharma and the other one escapes my mind. They do a lot of meditation, thats why they always seem so calm about everything
  • CrownChakra
    CrownChakra Members Posts: 351
    edited January 2011
    Im Buddhist, and I use to be catholic until I took a world religion course when I was 17. The only reason why I follow it is because its the only religion that doesn't worship some ? or deity and no church to attend. All your practise is through yourself. Im more of a Zen Buddhist cause I focus more on meditation.
  • thedesolateone
    thedesolateone Members Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    zen buddhism is the only religion i respect
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Strangely enough, this guy.............

akuma-gif.gif

...............is a Buddist. His name is Gouki (aka Akuma) of Street Fighter. SF fans are familiar with his most devasting attack, or special move. The "Raging Demon", "Demon Armageddon". Or the more befitting "Instant Hell Murder" as I remember it being called. "Shungokusatsu" in Japanese. Despite his reception to the mass audience, mostly western, Akuma is not only a loyal follower of his faith, but he isn't actually a villain of the game. He just likes fighting strong opponents. Usually to the death, but to each his own.

"Shungokusatsu". The attack itself is nothing more than the character Akuma merely grabbing his opponent, then the screen going black. But what proceeds next is the testimonial to Buddhism. Upon grabbing the opponent, Akuma proceeds to deliver the "sinner" to Naraka, or hell, and it's various levels in Buddhism belief. 8 cold and 8 hot levels. At each level a demon from that hell attacks the opponent, all in an instant. Eventually leading up to a 16 hit combo count. The more sins, the more the hits supposedly. But it seems to vary in video game mechanic's mostly.

If there are any Street Fighter fans in your classes, they might find that interesting.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    edited February 2011
    Im Buddhist, and I use to be catholic until I took a world religion course when I was 17. The only reason why I follow it is because its the only religion that doesn't worship some ? or deity and no church to attend. All your practise is through yourself. Im more of a Zen Buddhist cause I focus more on meditation.

I used to think that Buddhist worshiped Buddha but when they bow to him it's just showing respect.
  • akforty7
    edited February 2011
    The funny thing is that it stemmed from Hindu and Vedic beliefs which I can also appreciate. This is why I have a hard time labelling myself religion-wise because I am now more of a spirutal person with my own set of beliefs from many different religions, many of which are Buddhist and Hindu, such as karma. I was raised a Christian and I still do believe in many Christian principles but Buddhism can be applied as a philosophy or self-awakening tool for anyone. It's funny how many don't realize this and could really benefit from it.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    There are lots of denominations of Buddhism. Interestingly enough, Buddhism isn't really a religion. It's more like a way of life. The is most obvious in the fact that it's not impossible to be a Buddhist Christian or Buddhist Muslim depending on what sects you follow. After all, many of the principles found in Buddhism are also present in those pure forms of those other religions. Though the others have probably been more corrupted over the years.
  • CrownChakra
    CrownChakra Members Posts: 351
    edited February 2011
    zen buddhism is the only religion i respect

Unlock those 7 chakras bruh
    akforty7 wrote: »
    The funny thing is that it stemmed from Hindu and Vedic beliefs which I can also appreciate. This is why I have a hard time labelling myself religion-wise because I am now more of a spirutal person with my own set of beliefs from many different religions, many of which are Buddhist and Hindu, such as karma. I was raised a Christian and I still do believe in many Christian principles but Buddhism can be applied as a philosophy or self-awakening tool for anyone. It's funny how many don't realize this and could really benefit from it.

Yea Im the same way to, but my beliefs align the most with Buddhism. I can respect all religions even modern Christianity but when Jesus freaks and Jehovah witness start preaching I like to throw Buddhism in their face so they slow down. But my beliefs go into the religions that did didnt have one ? or many gods, there is a specific name for them but its been a long time since I was in high school so I cant remember. But its basically the religions before ancient and modern ones that focused more on nature. People sleep on nature and the universe but thats what we had focus on before all these religions became. These days Family, region and time determine your religion the most.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    its just another big dumb religion

they believe in magic and reincarnation and ghosts and all that ?

the history of buddhism is not even remotely peaceful, even though thats their reputation
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited February 2011
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/slinging-seeds/sets/72157619047893739/

Shows contemporary rural low income Buddhist "making monk" which all young Buddhist do. They all remain monks for a month or so. Only a very few become full time life long monks.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    its just another big dumb religion

they believe in magic and reincarnation and ghosts and all that ?

the history of buddhism is not even remotely peaceful, even though thats their reputation

so the white Founding Father of America started THAT too???
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Really, I recommend reading the diamant sutra and sutra of hui-neng. The diamant sutra is 'The book'(siddharta quotes/discussions) you can finish it within an hour but you will find yourself reciting it again and again if you are into it. If you read the actual work for yourself, you will probably have reached enlightment/reached the buddha stage yourself. With this you will have read the most important works of what later became known as 'buddhism' etc....remember that many teachers have personality and genius has no personlity so please read the work for yourself, this way you will learn most(if not everything)