Black Star Re-Unite! Paid Dues Festival, California, April 2nd 2011

RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in The Essence
PD_11_acts_final.jpg

Looks like an amazing line up and obviously exciting news that Mos Def is stepping back into the hip hop scene WITH Talib Kweli. Blu & Fashawn, P.O.S, so many to name!!! Great line up, IMO.

Thoughts on line up? Anyone going? Back Star album coming?! We can only ponder and hope!

Comments

• Neslom
    Neslom Members Posts: 431
    edited January 2011
    Nice lineup, lots of greats act. It's just sad they don't do something like this in Europe
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    Neslom wrote: »
    Nice lineup, lots of greats act. It's just sad they don't do something like this in Europe

co-sign, I'd travel if it was in the Summer. Nice to see you back Neslom :tu
  • MastaAceTheGOAT
    MastaAceTheGOAT Members Posts: 724
    edited January 2011
    That's a great line up. Blackstar, slaughterhouse, blu, fashawn, murs, MistahFAB, bun b, immortal and dead prez. Shame they aren't coming to the uk. If it were in Europe even abroad I'd be able to go...
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Wow, cold line-up!! But is an album coming too or is this just a one time re-union thing??
  • Neslom
    Neslom Members Posts: 431
    edited January 2011
    That's a great line up. Blackstar, slaughterhouse, blu, fashawn, murs, MistahFAB, bun b, immortal and dead prez. Shame they aren't coming to the uk. If it were in Europe even abroad I'd be able to go...

I think they could make a nice little European tour out of it. Maybe not all the artists, but some of them
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    kevmic wrote: »
    Wow, cold line-up!! But is an album coming too or is this just a one time re-union thing??

Just a reunion... can always hope though!!
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    edited February 2011
    Blackstar is dope. Saw them years ago at SOBS. But I hate big festivals so I will have to pass.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    skeep wrote: »
    Blackstar is dope. Saw them years ago at SOBS. But I hate big festivals so I will have to pass.

I'd ? to see all those artists in weekend!! lol

Dope that you saw them together, I've only ever seen Kweli, Mos Def cancelled his show that I was supposed to be going. He's never been back over here.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    damn that line up is tuff!!! ? i think this is in SoCal though. ? i wanna see Black Hippy,Heavy Metal Kings,Tabi Boney, and a gang of othersf ? id watch Lil B just the see the crowd.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    satyrone wrote: »
    damn that line up is tuff!!! ? i think this is in SoCal though. ? i wanna see Black Hippy,Heavy Metal Kings,Tabi Boney, and a gang of othersf ? id watch Lil B just the see the crowd.

Can you go? I'm tempted to save up to go to one of these in the next few years!
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Can you go? I'm tempted to save up to go to one of these in the next few years!

naw it might be in southern Cali and im in North cali..dont have the money to go but ? i wish i could go.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    satyrone wrote: »
    naw it might be in southern Cali and im in North cali..dont have the money to go but ? i wish i could go.

No doubt, I went a festival last summer and it was quality, but it wasn't a hip hop one, if it was, it'd be like heaven. Can't even imagine how good it would be.
  • skeep
    edited February 2011
    I'd ? to see all those artists in weekend!! lol

Dope that you saw them together, I've only ever seen Kweli, Mos Def cancelled his show that I was supposed to be going. He's never been back over here.

They were great together. Mos seems flaky- sometimes he raps sometimes he sings. Unpredictable. Hopefully he stays focused for this. I love live shows but I prefer small settings. The big festivals never have good sound and it's just too busy. But yeah- it's a great way to see a lot of great acts. It just sucks when two acts you want to see play at the same time.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    They were great together. Mos seems flaky- sometimes he raps sometimes he sings. Unpredictable. Hopefully he stays focused for this. I love live shows but I prefer small settings. The big festivals never have good sound and it's just too busy. But yeah- it's a great way to see a lot of great acts. It just sucks when two acts you want to see play at the same time.

This. But fortunately, this never happened at the festival I went to, as I barely liked any of the artists before going lol I just went with friends.

Mos should always stick to rapping, he always seems a little unfocused at times with his music, don't know what happened with True Magic and him not even having a cover for it. I understand falling out with your label, but it's for your fans at the end of the day.

Small settings are always the best agreed, unless you get at the front at the larger venues.
  • skeep
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I usually like most of what Mos does, even the singing and experimentation but there is nothing better when he raps. He is a master.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I usually like most of what Mos does, even the singing and experimentation but there is nothing better when he raps. He is a master.

No doubt and someone like him should be putting out albums more consistently...
  • pingpong
    pingpong Members Posts: 14
    edited February 2011
    I will definitely be there. Been looking forward to Paid Dues since I missed out last year!
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    pingpong wrote: »
    I will definitely be there. Been looking forward to Paid Dues since I missed out last year!

Have you been before? Any pictures, feel free to up them :tu
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited February 2011

Yeah I agree. I'm not going but I'll support the music.
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Just a reunion... can always hope though!!

They can't be getting ? hopes up and not drop an album...damn!! Hiphop needs Blackstar right about now!!
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    i hear theyve been working on it
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited February 2011
    good Blackstar now get to work on the album!!!!