The Wake Up! Thread: John Legend & The Roots

Options
churchboy2
churchboy2 Members Posts: 477
edited February 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
john-legend-the-roots-walki-thumb-473xauto-7073.jpg

Two of the best acts in their respective genres, combined for one of the best collaborative hip-hop & R&B works in a long time (and maybe ever).

wake-up.jpg

Originally conceived as a way to show how the protest music of the 60s & 70s was still relevant today, this great album was

Nominated for five 2010-11 Grammys:

*Best R&B Song for "Shine"
*Best Group or Duo R&B Vocal Performance for "Shine"

*Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance for "Hang On In There"
*Best R&B Album for Wake Up!
*Best Rap/Sung Collaboration for "Wake Up! Everybody" ft. Common & Melanie Fiona
...and my personal fave:
Hard Times (Live in Studio)
(Did I mention that the CD comes with a bonus DVD?)

Show some appreciation folks...

Comments

• Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Don't hype just cuz it's The Roots this album was OK.....and Best of Both Worlds>>>>>
  • soulatlantic
    soulatlantic Members Posts: 346
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i really REALLY enjoyed this album.... i actually copped the vinyl just to really embrace that old school vibe.
    I Can't Write Left Handed is incredible, probably the standout.
    Hard Times, Wake Up Everybody, Compared To What and Wholly Holy are some of my other favorites, esp Wholly Holy, cause they attempted to channel Aretha's version of it, which i love.
  • churchboy2
    churchboy2 Members Posts: 477
    edited February 2011
    Options
    1000.4112.22581408.jperiodcover.jpg

J. Period Remixes The Roots, John Legend On Free New Mixtape

(AllHipHop News) J.Period and Roots rapper Black Thought have teamed to release WAKE UP: RADIO!, a new mixtape to celebrate The Roots and John Legends' five Grammy nominations.

WAKE UP: RADIO!, which features The Roots and John Legend, pays tribute to the legacy of soul music, with J. Period remixing and rebuilding the original recording sessions from the WAKE UP! album, to create an entirely new version of the release.

The mixtape is being offered as free download on J.Period's site and will also be given away as a limited edition gift-bag giveaway at The Roots' highly anticipated 7th Annual Jam Session, which takes place the night before the Grammy's (February 12th).

“When this project began, I was excited to explore the legacy of soul music behind the WAKE UP! album,” J.Period said. “But I had no idea of the level of access and creative freedom I would be granted by John Legend & The Roots to tell that story. The result is not only something that traces musical history lines from artists like Marvin Gaye to contemporaries like John Legend—but something that adds to that history: brand new collaborative tracks as if Marvin & John recorded together."

Guest appearances on WAKE UP! RADIO include Q-Tip, K'Naan, Nneka, Mayda Del Valle, and Late Night host, Jimmy Fallon.

"It’s simply unprecedented on a mixtape," J. Period said. "And I am particularly proud of the fact that all of it speaks to the true power of music to carry a message, and have a positive impact on society, and on people’s lives.”

In addition to the WAKE UP: RADIO! mixtape, J. Period has teamed with Black Thought, John Legend and pioneering emcee Rakim to release a brand new track titled "In The Ghetto," which pays homage to Eric B. & Rakim's classic track of the same name. The new track will drop on February 15th.

Download for free here

wakeup-back588.jpg