Buying a new laptop, ANY SUGGESTIONS/ADVICE???

Roster Player #99
Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in Fresh Produce
Waddup doe, good to see everyone thats around here still, some new faces. BMT is over and Im at Tech school so the music is back on. With that being said, my disfunctional laptop is in another state plus I got my bread up and wanna upgrade. What i was told by a few people was to get the HP Envy 14 Beats edition because of the already high-end sound card. I dont use Beats headphones, I got Audio Technica M50s, which are my favorite which shouldnt be a problem with the laptop...BUT all the other specs, I have no idea as to what I should get. Plus Im lookin at other sites and theyre offering pretty much the same ? for a little less, so I need help, anything yall got....this is what Im lookin at so far:

HP ENVY Beats
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-740QM Quad Core processor (1.73GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.93 GHz
• 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 graphics [HDMI] - For Quad Core Processors
• 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• No Additional Office Software
• 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 6.0 hours of battery life +++
• 14.5" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Infinity LED Display (1366x768)
• SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
• HP TrueVision HD Webcam
• Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
• Red Backlit Keyboard
• Adobe(R) Photoshop(R) Elements 8 & Adobe Premiere(R) Elements 8

all the adobe ? Im sure i'll be deleting along with ? like Word (maybe not) and Microsoft Money, basically ? Im not gonna use that takes up a lot space....just like I did my last laptop.

Toshiba
■Intel® Core™ i7-740QM processor (1.73 GHz (2.93 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 6MB Cache
■Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
■8GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM (4096MBx2)
■640GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial-ATA)
■NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M with 1GB GDDR3 discrete graphics memory
■DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive
■Glossy Black LED Backlit Tile keyboard
■Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell, 48Wh)
■Realtek® Wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
■Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter

ANY other suggestions will be duely noted...thank you!

Comments

• Drgoo0285
    Drgoo0285 Members Posts: 513 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    buy a good multi-channel soundcard.
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    If the toshiba is less, I'd probably go with that one; what are the screen sizes?
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
  • Roster Player #99
    edited February 2011
    If the toshiba is less, I'd probably go with that one; what are the screen sizes?

See that was another thing, the HP is a 14.5 and the Toshiba was something bigger, I cant recall, but I was factoring a lot of things like shipping date, build date, the cost, and primarily te sound card. The toshiba (from what I understand) doesnt have the same sound card as the HP because the HP is designed for audio especially. I went ahead and bought the HP tho, and said ? it.
  • money mob
    money mob Members Posts: 420
    edited February 2011
    macbook pro

Definitely cosign this one Tony.

I know u had problems with your last one. If those problems were from viruses, this will be your answer.

You dont even have to get the Macbook Pro.

I got a used macbook with upgraded memory and hard drive off craigslist for $600.

I never leave home without it, real talk.
  • 7 DAY THEORY CDATISR
    7 DAY THEORY CDATISR Members Posts: 2,208
    edited February 2011
    get the ? beats. my grandmother has the dv7.... ITS CRAZY!!
  • Roster Player #99
    edited February 2011
    money mob wrote: »
    Definitely cosign this one Tony.

I know u had problems with your last one. If those problems were from viruses, this will be your answer.

You dont even have to get the Macbook Pro.

I got a used macbook with upgraded memory and hard drive off craigslist for $600.

I never leave home without it, real talk.

see im not a mac person, being that I seldom use it, but isnt ? like FL and and all the PC VSTs not compatible with Mac? I really dont even know what to look for in a laptop really....But I hope the money i just invested is worth it.
  • jrbtheproducer
    jrbtheproducer Members Posts: 82
    edited February 2011
    just cause you get a macbook doesnt mean you will be free from problems...

ive had to have MAJOR repairs on mine on 4 different occasions (failed ram sticks, hard drive, hell even my screen has ? up and had to be replaced), thank ? I had the 4 year Apple Care plan

it works great when it works, i might have a lemon though cause i haven't heard of anyone else having the problems i have had with my Mac

also if you run Windows operating system and Mac operating system if you run into problems good luck getting answers... the Mac folks will say, looks like the Windows OP system is your problem... and then Windows help people will say- since it's a Mac we can't help you
  • jrbtheproducer
    edited February 2011
    tonys. wrote: »
    see im not a mac person, being that I seldom use it, but isnt ? like FL and and all the PC VSTs not compatible with Mac? I really dont even know what to look for in a laptop really....But I hope the money i just invested is worth it.

i have bootcamp installed, and this allows you to have Mac operating system (Mac OSX) and PC Operating system (Windows XP), so when i start my computer i can choose which to boot

the Windows side functions just like a PC would, in a way its sort of like having 2 computers in 1
  • money mob
    edited February 2011
    just cause you get a macbook doesnt mean you will be free from problems...

ive had to have MAJOR repairs on mine on 4 different occasions (failed ram sticks, hard drive, hell even my screen has ? up and had to be replaced), thank ? I had the 4 year Apple Care plan

it works great when it works, i might have a lemon though cause i haven't heard of anyone else having the problems i have had with my Mac

also if you run Windows operating system and Mac operating system if you run into problems good luck getting answers... the Mac folks will say, looks like the Windows OP system is your problem... and then Windows help people will say- since it's a Mac we can't help you

Wow... not sure what went down with yours but I got mine used and never had a problem with anything and mine was manufactured in 2008. I have bootcamp but I was always scared to install windows on my ? . Are you still using the mac now?
  • Roster Player #99
    edited February 2011
    so i got a macbook.....somebody school me???
  • jrbtheproducer
    edited February 2011
    money mob wrote: »
    Wow... not sure what went down with yours but I got mine used and never had a problem with anything and mine was manufactured in 2008. I have bootcamp but I was always scared to install windows on my ? . Are you still using the mac now?

yep still using the same computer now, i had Apple Care so every repair was free... hopefully it doesnt ? up again cause the Apple Care has now run out

so you never installed Windows on it? what do you use to make your beats again? i was thinking you were a FL dude

and Tony what do you need to know?
  • money mob
    edited February 2011
    so i got a macbook.....somebody school me???

Yaaaaaaay!

what U need, holla at me!
  • thedesolateone
    thedesolateone Members Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    get a netbook and you will have everything you need in a laptop plus its cheaper
    macs suck and stay away from ipads ? the touchscreen technology of it .its not worth it
    you can get a good net book for around 300$
  • money mob
    edited February 2011
    yep still using the same computer now, i had Apple Care so every repair was free... hopefully it doesnt ? up again cause the Apple Care has now run out

so you never installed Windows on it? what do you use to make your beats again? i was thinking you were a FL dude

and Tony what do you need to know?

I use Propellerhead Reason 5.

Chop my samples with Recycle and sometimes Audacity.
  • Roster Player #99
    edited February 2011
    aiight so with this bootcamp ? , how should I partition my drive space since Im mainly a windows guy and I produce with FL and all that good stuff?
  • reallymelo
    reallymelo Members Posts: 7
    edited February 2011
    get a MAC.... no questions asked.. I run fruityloops and bootcamp, and it works fine.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    macbook pro

^^^this right here..

took me a minute to get use to..
    but now that i am.. ? Windows. hahahaha
  • money mob
    edited February 2011
    aiight so with this bootcamp ? , how should I partition my drive space since Im mainly a windows guy and I produce with FL and all that good stuff?

Congrats!

I never installed windows on my ? . I didnt want any parts of windows related problems on my joint.

? with JRB. He used Bootcamp for the windows install.
  • jrbtheproducer
    edited February 2011

i would give your windows partition more space than the Mac side, but dont leave your Mac side low as ? cause that will make it not run as well as it should

the first time i partitioned it i didnt give the windows side enough (only like 30GB) and i regretted it... after my comp crashed i partitioned it differently, i think i did like like 60 or 72 GB or soemthin dont exactly remember, basically i gave windows 2/3 and mac 1/3 of the space
  • Roster Player #99
    edited February 2011
    i would give your windows partition more space than the Mac side, but dont leave your Mac side low as ? cause that will make it not run as well as it should

the first time i partitioned it i didnt give the windows side enough (only like 30GB) and i regretted it... after my comp crashed i partitioned it differently, i think i did like like 60 or 72 GB or soemthin dont exactly remember, basically i gave windows 2/3 and mac 1/3 of the space

aiight thanks for that pointer. so do i have to download or install windows or is it already on here?
  • jrbtheproducer
    edited February 2011
    aiight thanks for that pointer. so do i have to download or install windows or is it already on here?

you gotta buy it, be careful though, cause it depends on what were running previously

all my programs worked with XP but when i tried to get a new PC (on Windows 7) none of my ? worked, FL, Adobe Audition, etc because they are older and not designed to run on 7... its because XP is 32 bit and Win7 is 64 bit or something like that im not 100% sure im not good with the real technical things, theres something you could download to make it work but that ? sounded way too complicated so i returned the computer and just stuck with Windows XP on my Mac
  • Roster Player #99
    edited February 2011
    so i got to buy a windows 7 software pack? then install it and all that ? ? just to be clear before i ? up some ? ...
  • jrbtheproducer
    edited February 2011
    yeah you gotta buy the Windows Operating system, you can call 1-800-MYAPPLE (apple tech support) tell them what you're doing and they'll help you with it, thats what i did, they walked me through the whole process of it because i was scared as ? too lol
  • drematic
    drematic Members Posts: 234
    edited February 2011
    but tonys, like jrb warned earlier, make sure you get xp or vista cuz win7 on some bs with some of the older software cracks