History: Fiction or Science?

Options
BiblicalAtheist
BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in The Social Lounge
Has anyone read the book(s) 'History: Fiction or Science' by Anatoly Fomenko?

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I read the first two, not the third yet but I do have it.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited February 2011
    Options
    What did you think of them?
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I thought they were very interesting and it makes you think about it anytime your watching history channel or reading something but other than that I don't really buy into them. I'm sure there's alot of second hand knowledge that's passed on and messed up regarding history but at the same time the author repeatedly says history may be wrong because it's word of mouth all the while it's the same thing on his side of his theories. I'm not sure about the third book being I haven't read it yet but it also seems so far that the author is more focused about the inaccuracy of the time the events happened rather than the actual events themselves. The third I might start reading after the NBA games tonight now that you mentioned the series. There's probably a few more out by now that I haven't gotten also.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I just started reading the first book, I've wanted to read them for a minute now but haven't been able to get my hands on it. I think his theories are quite possible.
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Wanna sum up what you've read so far? What kinda theories?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I'm only 24 pages into chapter1 , so I don't think I could actually be of any help here lol but what I've gathered thus far is the author is trying to convey that the current chronology for the most part is erroneous, events and people have been fabricated and duplicated, documents and artifacts were forged, to give us a false concept of extended history.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I'm only 24 pages into chapter1 , so I don't think I could actually be of any help here lol but what I've gathered thus far is the author is trying to convey that the current chronology for the most part is erroneous, events and people have been fabricated and duplicated, documents and artifacts were forged, to give us a false concept of extended history.

The first two books summed up
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited February 2011
    Options
    The first two books summed up

One of the reasons I am partial to his notions being quite possible is that anytime someone who has a distinguished reputation, with commendable credentials and is willing to put all of that on the line to speak something they think to be truth should be given serious consideration.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited February 2011
    Options
    One of the reasons I am partial to his notions being quite possible is that anytime someone who has a distinguished reputation, with commendable credentials and is willing to put all of that on the line to speak something they think to be truth should be given serious consideration.

Oh I have no doubt that it's possible, and honestly I think some of it is true. I only think some of it is true though, the things he presents that have some verifiable writings with them. The rest are just hit and miss assumptions on what could or could not be true. For some of it it just doesn't fit to me, like either in the first or second chronology he states that the entire written history of Egypt, Rome, and Greece took place only during the middle ages, which is just a ridiculous assessment to me. But, still possible just highly unlikely. And it also bothers me that he speaks out on biological evolution and from what I've found so far he has no background outside of anything except Mathematics and Topology. The book I haven't read yet deals more with middle ages and Egypt so I'm looking forward to reading this.

And @ the bolded, that can't always be a strong indicator though. There are people with great reputations and a laundry list of credentials that come forth saying things like Aliens are visiting Earth and we contacted them, so on and so on and risk everything as well.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Oh I have no doubt that it's possible, and honestly I think some of it is true. I only think some of it is true though, the things he presents that have some verifiable writings with them. The rest are just hit and miss assumptions on what could or could not be true. For some of it it just doesn't fit to me, like either in the first or second chronology he states that the entire written history of Egypt, Rome, and Greece took place only during the middle ages, which is just a ridiculous assessment to me. But, still possible just highly unlikely. And it also bothers me that he speaks out on biological evolution and from what I've found so far he has no background outside of anything except Mathematics and Topology. The book I haven't read yet deals more with middle ages and Egypt so I'm looking forward to reading this.

And @ the bolded, that can't always be a strong indicator though. There are people with great reputations and a laundry list of credentials that come forth saying things like Aliens are visiting Earth and we contacted them, so on and so on and risk everything as well.

But if Newton also said there is something seriously wrong with the current chronology and even his peers said of him 'it must be his old age that has him writing such craziness', why would something not be said of Fomenko? "The earth is round!" "Don't listen to them, they are crazy and do not know what they say!!" "We orbit the sun!" "More crazy talk from those loonies, we are the center of the universe!!" "Atoms are the thing we are to look for" "Blasphemy! There is no such thing!!"

Guess I'll just have to read the books and find out more.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Fomenko has a point that our current chronology was first devised by clergymen and theologians and being calculated in terms of 'time passed since adam', and them having no concept of the bible being fallible.

And if the current chronology's veracity is questioned,that is to question the whole time line of the bible as well. They say there is separation of church and state, but we all know the state still kisses the churches ass.
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Henry Ford: "history is bunk" .............. heard long ago: "history is written by the winners"
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Fomenko has a point that our current chronology was first devised by clergymen and theologians and being calculated in terms of 'time passed since adam', and them having no concept of the bible being fallible.

And if the current chronology's veracity is questioned,that is to question the whole time line of the bible as well. They say there is separation of church and state, but we all know the state still kisses the churches ass.

Like I said, it's definitely possible, and some is very hard to question his claims. But then there are some things that cannot be possible in the timeline that he is giving.