Kid Cudi Leaves Plain Pat, Launches New Label With Dot Da Genius (Day N Nite ? )

birdcallaveli
birdcallaveli Members Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Reason
kid cudi is leaving his manager and the man who pretty much started his career, plain pat, and is shutting down his Dream On label that he created with pat to start a new label with dot da genius.

dot da genius was the one who produced cudis hit day n nite, and plain pat was the one who discovered cudi, helped make cudis first mixtape, and introduced kanye to cudis music.

from mtv:

“Dream on is over,” he wrote, “new label announcement soon.”

Then, in a series of tweets that followed, he continued, “Pat and Emile are doing their own thing, i wish them well. I have a diff vision, for music, for the world. im just doing the right thing, i come from a different place. people lose sight of the mission. cant expect everyone to be built like me. when people have different visions, you gotta go your own way.”

In partnership with Kanye West’s G.O.O.D. Music imprint and Universal Motown, Dream On released Cudi’s first two LPs, Man On The Moon: The End Of Day (2009) and Man On The Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager (2010), respectively. In the midst of his announcement yesterday, Cudi insisted that despite the split from his partners, his business relationship with Kanye and G.O.O.D. Music was still intact.

“always f----n with yeezy, for life. period. a true friend.” he tweeted. “GOOD music affiliate for life. as far as my movement, i have to lead it. cant expect people to have the same morals as me … iam still with GOOD music, with that being said im just changin my side of things up a bit. so it will be ?/GOOD. still distributed through Motown.”

“the jams will be the same,” he wrote, “but more real and true to me. the new label will be formed with @DotDaGenius. i have a new name [for the label], i just wanna lock it in contractually first.”

http://rapfix.mtv.com/2011/02/27/kid-cudi-splits-with-manager-launching-new-label/

Comments

• Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Yea heard about this over the weekend, dont think itll make much of a difference though...
  • birdcallaveli
    edited February 2011
    Yea heard about this over the weekend, dont think itll make much of a difference though...

its hard to tell really because cudi has been managed by plain pat and that emile dude his whole career. so dropping them could result in a whole new sound for cudi. he said his music is gonna be more "him" now so i hope he goes back to spitting more like he did on a kid named cudi
  • BoscoDeSoto
    BoscoDeSoto Members Posts: 146
    edited February 2011
    as long as he keep the same production and lace me with

? like this

lol this does show how much he needs singing lessons
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    its hard to tell really because cudi has been managed by plain pat and that emile dude his whole career. so dropping them could result in a whole new sound for cudi. he said his music is gonna be more "him" now so i hope he goes back to spitting more like he did on a kid named cudi

He done with spitting I think, releasing 1 last mixtape in the summer of him spitting, than he starting a band with dot da genius called the wizards
  • birdcallaveli
    edited February 2011
    He done with spitting I think, releasing 1 last mixtape in the summer of him spitting, than he starting a band with dot da genius called the wizards

yeah i remember a while ago he was saying he was done spitting, but i like his rapping a lot more than his singing. i can only listen to him singing in small doses. and i heard about that band, its supposed to be a rock band or something. im not sure how i feel about that, but dot da genius was the man behind day n nite (which is probably my favorite song to have come out of good music) so it might be dope.
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited February 2011
    Yeah he's going with the rock theme whilst having a new rap mixtape called A Kid Named Scotty iirc
  • birdcallaveli
    edited February 2011
    Yeah he's going with the rock theme whilst having a new rap mixtape called A Kid Named Scotty iirc

word, ill be checking for that rap tape. imo a kid named cudi>>>>>both man on the moons
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited February 2011
    word, ill be checking for that rap tape. imo a kid named cudi>>>>>both man on the moons

Yeah, I think the first Man On The Moon is awesome but then I relistened to A Kid Named Cudi... underrated mixtape imo
  • RebelliousIntrovert
    RebelliousIntrovert Members Posts: 214
    edited February 2011
    I think anything that CuDi does is dope, he's the epitome of a true artist, & speaks for the generation of people like me, who never really had a voice, the outcasts, the misfits. He speaks every word from his soul, I listen to MOTM I & II, everyday, & CuDi helps me cope. I really believe he is underrated especially lyrically, he speaks on issues that most wouldn't, & a lot of people are afraid to address, or refuse to, especially personal demons that are faced everyday. I honestly can say I'm thankful for him putting out his projects, whatever it may be, or whoever it may be managed by.
  • mindright
    mindright Members Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    smh @ this move..

I thought he did his best work with Plain Pat and Emile..especially that "A Kid Name Cudi" mixtape...

both studio albums were aight, but they didn't compare to the mixtape
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    yea this might be not be the best thing for Cudi imo..i love both his albums but i what i really like is his sound..and i'm sure Plain Pat and Emile have a lot to do with that..i mean Emile and/or Plain Pat have produced 18 out of his 32 songs on his albums..

him and Dot Da Genius have some bangers too (Day n Nite, Marijuana, Trapped in my Mind) but still..as a fan not too excited about this one..
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Another rapper going straight rock though? I'd rather him keep spitting. He's got good music