Is Nas Next Lp going to be Like Em & Lupe?

Options
124»

Comments

• buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    disagree my g, whenever nas do somethin it's always dark like even those songs..they have strings and ? but they aren't happy strings...they are DARK as hell.

A better beat for nas would be something like this

or

I could see "Small World" being dark, but "Watch Dem ? " and "Life's A B****" are nowhere near dark musically. Those are happy beats even though the content of those songs isn't happy.
  • BoscoDeSoto
    BoscoDeSoto Members Posts: 146
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I could see "Small World" being dark, but "Watch Dem ? " and "Life's A B****" are nowhere near dark musically. Those are happy beats even though the content of those songs isn't happy.

the basslines alone make them dark jazz..and as you know jazz for the most part is a ? rough genre.
  • BoscoDeSoto
    edited March 2011
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    what you think about this song b

wow i heard this before but i didn't pay it much attention...it's tuff as hell. dope ? .. I would be fine with nas doing a track or two on those beats .i still though like nas better on these type of beaTS
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i'm not really sayin i couldn't hear nas over those beats
    but they're already made and already played
    when i hear magnificent i think ross and john legend
    when i hear over i think drake
    now if a ? woulda said nas should be on beats similar then fine
    but ? on this site is prone to sayin ? like, "nas woulda made this song waaaaaay better" or some bogus ? like that
    well he didn't and now he can't
  • georgia boi
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i'm not really sayin i couldn't hear nas over those beats
    but they're already made and already played
    when i hear magnificent i think ross and john legend
    when i hear over i think drake
    now if a ? woulda said nas should be on beats similar then fine
    but ? on this site is prone to sayin ? like, "nas woulda made this song waaaaaay better" or some bogus ? like that
    well he didn't and now he can't

I agree with what you're saying. I was thinking more along the lines that he'd sound at home over beats like "Magnificent" and "Over" rather than him going in and making those songs way better if he was on them.
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Nas needs to get Just Blaze,Kanye,Alchemist,Rza,Premo
  • choppa_style
    choppa_style Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    NaS has made plenty of "Mainstream" songs or commercial sounding songs. Even on "Untitled" there was "We make the world go round" which sounded so out of place on that LP but that was for the masses The issue is a lot of NaS's commercial songs don't do that well on the charts anyway. If you look at NaS's 1st singles they are almost always very raw and hard and not that commercial. Sure during the 90's he was a little more flossy but since the 2000's NaS has come pretty hard with his singles. After "Untitled" and "Distant Relatives" it's clear NaS could care less about selling to the mainstream audience anymore. I could see NaS being independent as his career goes on.

"NaS could care less about selling to the mainstream audience"

"Even on "Untitled" there was "We make the world go round" which sounded so out of place on that LP but that was for the masses"

You sound confused man.
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Well your ears suck then. "I can't hear the difference between Marvin Gaye and Britney Spears."

Compared to hooks that are spoken or use splices of other songs, hooks that are sung would fall into the same category, regardless of if it's Britney or Marvin. And I could be wrong, but did any of the hooks on Nas' earlier albums have singing? "If I Ruled the World" is the only one I can think of and most people identify that as a pop sounding record.
  • t. webb
    t. webb Members Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ? I hope not....he need to work with Ye on some Be or Finding Forever tip....
  • BoscoDeSoto
    edited March 2011
    Options
    t. webb wrote: »
    ? I hope not....he need to work with Ye on some Be or Finding Forever tip....

please no finding forever b...that'd be soft as hell..why do ya'll want soft nas?
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    please no finding forever b...that'd be soft as hell..why do ya'll want soft nas?

I guess they want him to be like the other rappers of today..
    These newer rappers are cup cakes.
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Nas just need to get witht he same core that helped him with HHID.
    Swear that album has the best Nas beats (post 90')
  • jonathand
    jonathand Members Posts: 3,144
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Nas isnt making no pop ? . He gonna make these collabs work for him rather than vice versa. Nas gonna smash ? this year....
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    slept on thread
  • verbal juke
    verbal juke Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Nas faced similar label pressures as Lupe is facing now. Columbia wanted a more mainstream record and Nas delivered. If you read some of the reviews for the album, some of them note the album's Pop sound. It had little to do with how great Illmatic was, Columbia wanted an album that was a commercial success. The Firm album follows in It Was Written's footsteps as the same team excluding Havoc and Premo handled the production. The Firm was just a mess of an album because there was no direction. Nastradamus has commercial attempts, but again, that album was a misfire. It Was Written doesn't get flack because it is a quality album because it balanced the commercial songs with street songs. The fact that the commercial records were of quality also made a difference.

With Lupe's album, the fact that it has a Pop sound isn't the issue. The quality just isn't there.

I believe Georgia Boi has a point. Back when IIW came out many did consider NAS to "Crossover". I wouldn't go as far as saying IWW was "POP" but I would say it was more "Mainstream" there is a difference. For example on Raekwon album the song "Ice Cream" had Mainstream appeal. You could hear that song on different type radio stations. You know the station everyone has in the hometown that plays White and Black music? If your record got spins on there you knew it was a mainsteam record.
  • BoscoDeSoto
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I believe Georgia Boi has a point. Back when IIW came out many did consider NAS to "Crossover". I wouldn't go as far as saying IWW was "POP" but I would say it was more "Mainstream" there is a difference. For example on Raekwon album the song "Ice Cream" had Mainstream appeal. You could hear that song on different type radio stations. You know the station everyone has in the hometown that plays White and Black music? If your record got spins on there you knew it was a mainsteam record.

but here's what i'm saying IWW while being a crossover record it showed how to do it but still keep your skills intact. These new commercial/beats/albums ain't doing that at f'n all
  • georgia boi
    edited March 2011
    Options
    "NaS could care less about selling to the mainstream audience"

"Even on "Untitled" there was "We make the world go round" which sounded so out of place on that LP but that was for the masses"

You sound confused man.

Compared to hooks that are spoken or use splices of other songs, hooks that are sung would fall into the same category, regardless of if it's Britney or Marvin. And I could be wrong, but did any of the hooks on Nas' earlier albums have singing? "If I Ruled the World" is the only one I can think of and most people identify that as a pop sounding record.

Every Nas album except Illmatic has had singing on it. Some were Pop songs like "Rule", "You Won't See Me Tonight", and "You Owe Me". Others were more in the vein of R&B/Soul like "Project Windows".
  • choppa_style
    choppa_style Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Every Nas album except Illmatic has had singing on it. Some were Pop songs like "Rule", "You Won't See Me Tonight", and "You Owe Me". Others were more in the vein of R&B/Soul like "Project Windows".

Weren't all those on Nastradamus and Stillmatic? By earlier albums I actually meant Illmatic through I Am. Basically the songs that people mostly identify Nas with. My impression is that Nas isn't normally known for sung hooks.
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Nas has never dropped a bad album as far as I'm concerned, and with him saying his new album is gonna be for the streets all the ? complaining about him talking about African and that conscious political stuff he did on Untitled and Distant Relatives should be happy.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    honestly....is a commercial or pop record really that bad?.... not saying come with a gang of pop ? but when done right aint nothing wrong with a song or two as long as the rest of the album is the usual product that we get from Nas
  • georgia boi
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Weren't all those on Nastradamus and Stillmatic? By earlier albums I actually meant Illmatic through I Am. Basically the songs that people mostly identify Nas with. My impression is that Nas isn't normally known for sung hooks.

It Was Written had K-Ci Hailey on "Black Girl Lost" and of course Lauryn Hill on "If I Ruled The World". I Am just had the Aaliyah feature on "You Won't See Me Tonight". Those are the only Nas songs from Illmatic through I Am that had sung hooks.
  • georgia boi
    edited March 2011
    Options
    a_list wrote: »
    honestly....is a commercial or pop record really that bad?.... not saying come with a gang of pop ? but when done right aint nothing wrong with a song or two as long as the rest of the album is the usual product that we get from Nas

Nas has done some dope Pop songs like "You Won't See Me Tonight", "Hero", and most notably "If I Ruled The World". Those songs stayed true to Nas even though they were commercial records. I think Nas could make an incredible commercial record without compromising if he connected with the right producer and stayed away from doing something contrived like an Alex Da Kid production that sounds like "Aiplanes Pt. 3" or "Love The Way You Lie Pt. 3" featuring Skylar Grey.
  • tab58064
    tab58064 Members Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I loved relapse but recovery was some pop bs and unfortunately Lasers is the same ?

now that we hear nas is working with alex da kid & bangladesh, as well as nelly furtado, will he face the sAME fate?

I can't imagine nas making a pop lp, but that seems to be his next move.

thoughts?
    I wouldn't worry about that, but it does look as if he's trying lean for a more commercially appealing sound. I hope he's gonna ? with J.U.S.T.I.C.E League for a few tracks. He seems like the perfect fit for their production style.