Jump Roping for cardio

Options
Nthngis4vr
Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Weight Room
How long do you have to do it for it to be effective?? I want to have that option for days I don't feeling like running 2 miles.

2 min intervals for 20 mins?

Comments

• Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Jumping rope is effective regardless. Try 3 minute intervals (1 minue rest) for 30 minutes :tu

I'm jumping rope like Floyd Mayweather out here lol
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    yea, they gotta app on the i phone (which i don't have BTW) that does the 3 mins rounds with a one minute break...

that ? will get ur ? burning...
  • Nthngis4vr
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I didn't get done with dinner until late so I didnt get my run in. I was doing it yesterday while american idol was on during the commercials and boring parts for an hour. my rest time inbetween was probably too long but eh...

I was on a jumprope team back in the day
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    also try copping a weighted jumprope. I have one and when I use it (not often) you can definitely feel the difference vs a standard jumprope.
  • 100%Sagittarius
    100%Sagittarius Members Posts: 478
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I do 1:30 sec jump/ 30 sec rest intervals for 20-30 min when I dont feel like being on the treadmill. And jump in different ways each time, like jumping jacks, 1 leg jumps, high knees, or ski jumpers ( I think that's what they're called)
  • Miltown Marauder
    Miltown Marauder Members Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    There's no way you can do intervals for 1/1:30 for 30 minutes if your really jumping at full speed. Do jump rope tabatas 20/10 8 times.
  • Nthngis4vr
    edited March 2011
    Options
    There's no way you can do intervals for 1/1:30 for 30 minutes if your really jumping at full speed. Do jump rope tabatas 20/10 8 times.

What's this exactly?
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    What's this exactly?
    Eight sessions of intense jumping, 20 seconds a piece, followed by 10 second rest periods :tu

• 100%Sagittarius
    100%Sagittarius Members Posts: 478
    edited March 2011
    Options

Well, I do it quite often..... obviously you reach a point of exhaustion and muscle failure and by the end of it, I'm definitely not going at the same pace I am at the beginning. I don't do it every single day, but it's not impossible.
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The key is keeping your heart rate up and consistent. People often think 10 minutes is too short when really it's maintaining that consistent heart rate which burns calories and fat.
    10 minutes of straight jumping rope is better than 30 minutes of interrupted jumping rope with breaks in between.
  • Miltown Marauder
    Miltown Marauder Members Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The key is keeping your heart rate up and consistent. People often think 10 minutes is too short when really it's maintaining that consistent heart rate which burns calories and fat.
    10 minutes of straight jumping rope is better than 30 minutes of interrupted jumping rope with breaks in between.

truth.com..... Nkechi, did you ever live in Milwaukee, WI? Your name sounds so familiar