Gym niqqas & niqqettes: Question

American.Loo
American.Loo Members Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Weight Room
when you workout/lift, do you have a set routine? or do you just go from machine to machine

i hit the gym yesterday with extra energy, i didnt stick to my normal routine. i just kinda wandered from one machine to the next.

what i found was i had a much more intense workout this way. does anyone know if this produces better or worse results??

Comments

• Pura~Diabla
    Pura~Diabla Members Posts: 1,157
    edited February 2011
    On some days I rotate from machine to machine...that way I don't get bored doing the same routine.

Switching it up also keeps your body guessing. When your body becomes used to the same routine, the results tend to die down.
  • American.Loo
    edited February 2011
    On some days I rotate from machine to machine...that way I don't get bored doing the same routine.

Switching it up also keeps your body guessing. When your body becomes used to the same routine, the results tend to die down.

yeah. a trainer told me that a couple years back. why is that???
  • Pura~Diabla
    Pura~Diabla Members Posts: 1,157
    edited February 2011
    I'm not sure of the exact science behind it. I've always been told that you chance overworking the muscles and that can lead to an ineffective workout.
  • American.Loo
    edited February 2011
    i think i need to switch up my routine then.

how long should you stick with the same routine??
  • Mr. Terrific
    Mr. Terrific Members Posts: 483
    edited February 2011

Just like your mind, your muscles will get into a habit and 'know' what to expect next. It ain't ? to rattle off the times table becuz it is ingrained. You'll still be doing work but it will not be as effective.
  • junegemini
    junegemini Members Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    my routine is pretty much the same every time i go to the gym

45 mins on the elliptical
    20 - 30 minutes on the bike
    50-100 crunches on the ab machine

or i'll do 45 mins on the elliptical and 25-30 mins of weight training
  • junegemini
    edited February 2011
    i do when i stick to healthy eating habits lol

you suggest i change it up? i hate the treadmill :(
  • The Jackal
    The Jackal Members Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    I usually work out for an 1hr and 30 mintues and have serty troutines each day. When i finish early i just go to whatever machine.
  • coonuncooned
    coonuncooned Members Posts: 290
    edited March 2011
    switching up works because it confuses the muscles and keeps them growing.
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    y would u change ur whole routine every 4-6 weeks..that's not enough time to see if what u are doing is actually bringing results...
  • American.Loo
    edited March 2011
    imma switch the style up today!
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    junegemini wrote: »
    my routine is pretty much the same every time i go to the gym
    do 45 mins on the elliptical and 25-30 mins of weight training
    20 - 30 minutes on the bike
    50-100 crunches on the ab machine

switch to that order for 5 weeks and see your desired results elevated
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011

Machines can actually work against you and any goal you have. After so much of use of that machine you build a resistance and don't get the same effective work out as your body has become used to that level of endurance so it really is no longer a challenge for those muscles. Whatever you are doing for cardio just make sure you keep your heart rate up and consistent.

What also helps is changing your meal portions daily. Ie. Large breakfast, medium lunch, small dinner one day and the next day you change it to a Small breakfast, large lunch and medium dinner and so forth, continue switching it each day. This throws your body off track and confuses it and never overcompensates by storing any unnecessary sugar as fat.

I get bored with the same routine so I am forever changing it up, depends what I feel like doing that day.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Set routine. I have goals when I go in. I may change it up some every 3 months or so but even then it's calculated and planned. I log what I do in an Excel spreadsheet. I'm serious with this sh--. Only machines I f--ks with are T-Bar row machine for back, for Calves, Leg Press, and sometimes Leg Curls, otherwise it's free weights.
  • junegemini
    edited March 2011
    a.mann wrote: »
    switch to that order for 5 weeks and see your desired results elevated

thanks...ima see if my body is capable of doing all that in one session lol

and i dont think i should be doing weights everyday...i only work out the arms and legs