The distribution of wealth in this country is crazy.

Options
2»

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    once u become comfortable..u become useless for the movement..thats what they want u to feel...give u just enough where u dont wanna fight in fear of losing what little u have now...dont get comfortable

When I say comfortable, I mean in general, but of course I am dissatisfied with how things are going on in the country right now. I speak up all the time against the injustices going on here and I will never stop until I see ? going in the right path. People are going broke all the time, and states claim they're broke along with the feds, but we still have money for tax cuts for the rich (which added to our deficit) and neverending wars which are bankrupting this country.

I'm not comfortable with how our fraud of a govt is treating us, and I'm always gonna raise hell about that.
  • shtoopid
    shtoopid Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I've learned how to get a lot for a little. I don't need to be rich. It would be cool though..

yea, cosign. i'd be fine in a apartment. and i don't shop or mind taking public transportation. if only everyone could learn to live like this. i'm sure there are enough resources in america for everyone to be living semi-comfortably
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    And here we are bullshitting on the internet....
    I was yawning when I read this and laughed suddenly.

Kinda hurt for a second.

Post of the thread.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Scandinavian countries combined don't have a greater population then the state of California they represent a small fraction of Europe as a whole. If you want to talk about solutions lets talk income inequality since income is the most important determinant for quality of life/health. Secondly, unemployment rates as well as poverty rates in the Scandinavian countries have all decreased due to government officials taxing the elite/rich more and using that money for programs like child care, education and health care. Now on the other hand, America as a whole refuses to use that strategy they would rather invest money into other areas such as pointless wars/battles that eventually result in defeat and come with debt.

This is funny. You basically note that Scandinavia is a smaller scale region than even the larger states of the US, but still continue to compare them as if what's being done in Scandinavia is "right" and what's being done in the US is "wrong." Again, I believe a lot of what is done in the US is not for the best. That said, it is easier to manage a smaller country than it is a big country. A solution that works for 500,000 might not for 5 million. A solution that works for a region where everyone thinks similarly won't necessarily work for several regions which all have different cultures. A solution that works for one economy probably won't work for a system of 50 economies of comparable size thrown together into one large economy.
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    This is funny. You basically note that Scandinavia is a smaller scale region than even the larger states of the US, but still continue to compare them as if what's being done in Scandinavia is "right" and what's being done in the US is "wrong." Again, I believe a lot of what is done in the US is not for the best. That said, it is easier to manage a smaller country than it is a big country. A solution that works for 500,000 might not for 5 million. A solution that works for a region where everyone thinks similarly won't necessarily work for several regions which all have different cultures. A solution that works for one economy probably won't work for a system of 50 economies of comparable size thrown together into one large economy.

What solutions are you stating are not realistic that these Scandinavian countries have implemented in their countries?
    Addressing income inequality CHECK
    Addressing employment rates CHECK
    Addressing housing/child care/food insecurity CHECK

It comes down to three major issues income inequality, employment and addressing the determinants that impact health. Its a coincidence that these Scandinavian countries as well as Canada have addressed the above mentioned issues and as a result poverty rates, employment and income inequality have all decreased. At the same time, health disparities among the rich and poor have also been eliminated to a certain extent. Research shows that other then income determinants of health like housing, food insecurity and child care and improve quality of life. I can't see why these long term solutions that Scandinavian countries have implemented cannot be done by the U.S whether its 5,000 or 5 million.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    What solutions are you stating are not realistic that these Scandinavian countries have implemented in their countries?
    Addressing income inequality CHECK
    Addressing employment rates CHECK
    Addressing housing/child care/food insecurity CHECK

lol All you're doing is identifying problems. You're not providing solutions. You can list everything that Scandinavian countries did to address those problems. Maybe some of it works in America. Maybe some of it works in parts of America. It's highly unlikely that it will work for America as a whole because the dynamics at play in America are completely different than they are in Scandinavia. America is more comparable to Western Europe as a whole than it is to any single country in Europe, so it's a bit silly to point at one part of Western Europe and say "Hey they did it, America sucks because it didn't do the same thing."
    It comes down to three major issues income inequality, employment and addressing the determinants that impact health. Its a coincidence that these Scandinavian countries as well as Canada have addressed the above mentioned issues and as a result poverty rates, employment and income inequality have all decreased. At the same time, health disparities among the rich and poor have also been eliminated to a certain extent. Research shows that other then income determinants of health like housing, food insecurity and child care and improve quality of life. I can't see why these long term solutions that Scandinavian countries have implemented cannot be done by the U.S whether its 5,000 or 5 million.

Again, I'm not disputing the issues that you're noting. This very topic is about the craziness of the wealth disparity in this country, so stating that income inequality is a problem is superfluous. However, the idea that solutions that have worked in other countries that are vastly different than the US will be equally successful in the US is silly. That's like saying that the same actions taken to improve life in Wichita, Kansas would be guaranteed to be equally successful in New York, New York. Only a fool would believe that.
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    lol All you're doing is identifying problems. You're not providing solutions. You can list everything that Scandinavian countries did to address those problems. Maybe some of it works in America. Maybe some of it works in parts of America. It's highly unlikely that it will work for America as a whole because the dynamics at play in America are completely different than they are in Scandinavia. America is more comparable to Western Europe as a whole than it is to any single country in Europe, so it's a bit silly to point at one part of Western Europe and say "Hey they did it, America sucks because it didn't do the same thing."

This very topic is about the craziness of the wealth disparity in this country, so stating that income inequality is a problem is superfluous. However, the idea that solutions that have worked in other countries that are vastly different than the US will be equally successful in the US is silly. That's like saying that the same actions taken to improve life in Wichita, Kansas would be guaranteed to be equally successful in New York, New York. Only a fool would believe that.

@1st bolded
    Common sense and rational thinking would make one think about income inequality when discussing the distribution wealth in America. The solutions would vary but nonetheless would come down to the things I have already listed in my previous posts. Scandinavian countries tax the elite/wealthy more and put that money back into the population for child care, housing and education. As for employment and poverty they have policies that focus on wages and benefits for workers. Now ask yourself if they can do it why can't the U.S do it in larger cities that have the same population as Norway, Sweden or Denmark?

@2nd bolded
    List some of these solutions that I have listed which wouldn't make sense to implement in the U.S especially the largest cities?

The solutions/policies that the Scandinavian countries have implemented are the same ones that impact every major U.S city today so if they can be done in these countries why not in cities that have the highest poverty rates, crime and unemployment?
    We all know the answer to that obvious question........

If you want to discuss the distribution of wealth in America or the West look at the causes first as well as public policy which usually facilitate this distribution of "wealth" you are talking about.