After that NBA half time show should Usher........

Options
haute
haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
1. Try to push out this album which will clearly be mediocure

2. Or scrap and start over

he's put out 3 weak singles and that halftime show was beyond dreadful

Comments

• Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    LMAO , at people actually expecting more from Usher. I mean he is a great dancer, average singer. But musically . lets be real he is wack and always has been. Maybe its me being picking about the music I listen to . But compared to artist like EWF, Stevie Wonder, Maxwell etc , musically he doesn't compare on any level. Confessions , which is Usher's best album was about situations in his life, but he didnt even write the material about his own life. So when u are an artist that is looking for producer A to give u a hot beat and songwriter A to write u a great song you stand the chance of not being able to maintain the level of you best work.
  • dimples
    dimples Members Posts: 29
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    LMAO , at people actually expecting more from Usher. I mean he is a great dancer, average singer. But musically . lets be real he is wack and always has been. Maybe its me being picking about the music I listen to . But compared to artist like EWF, Stevie Wonder, Maxwell etc , musically he doesn't compare on any level. Confessions , which is Usher's best album was about situations in his life, but he didnt even write the material about his own life. So when u are an artist that is looking for producer A to give u a hot beat and songwriter A to write u a great song you stand the chance of not being able to maintain the level of you best work.

Him being an average singer? I only just recently started noticing this. The MJ memorial and the MJ grammy tribute especially had me like WTH?
    I think Usher's got potential. We saw that when he broke out with My Way and Confessions. Usher & JD have always said that Confessions was about situations in JD's life not Usher's (well particular songs anyway), so from that standpoint maybe he's better when he's singing other peoples stories cause we all know Here I Stand basically flopped.

I think he should basically start from scratch. He's been tryna get this album some buzz for how long now? It's starting to get embarassing. Confessions moved like 20mil WW and he can't even get this new one to shift one. Plus damn near every song's been leaked on Youtube. Why would you wanna package and sell what's already been floating around that noone cares about?
    At this point starting again his is only option IMO. Although I remember him having a similar situation with the 8701 album. That was pushed back numerous times but he somehow made it work so.....
    And More is an OK single, I just think the fans (myself included) for whatever reason are just not feeling it.
  • Mrslim1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    dimples wrote: »
    Him being an average singer? I only just recently started noticing this. The MJ memorial and the MJ grammy tribute especially had me like WTH?
    I think Usher's got potential. We saw that when he broke out with My Way and Confessions. Usher & JD have always said that Confessions was about situations in JD's life not Usher's, so from that standpoint maybe he's better when he's singing other peoples stories cause we all know Here I Stand basically flopped.

I think he should basically start from scratch. He's been tryna get this album some buzz for how long now? It's starting to get embarassing. Confessions moved like 20mil WW and he can't even get this new one to shift one. Plus damn near every song's been leaked on Youtube. Why would you wanna package and sell what's already been floating around that noone cares about?
    At this point starting again his is only option IMO. Although I remember him having a similar situation with the 8701 album. That was pushed back numerous times but he somehow made it work so.....
    And More is an OK single, I just think the fans (myself included) for whatever reason are just not feeling it.

The reason you may have just noticed that he was an average singer during the MJ tribute is because he was singing with artist with great voices. So he stood about because he couldn't compare. As far as Confessions , that shows even more that he is a manufactured artist. I mean Confessions was his best album , but musically does it compare to Marvin Gaye' " I Want You" or to MJ " Off The Wall" ? Not at all. Lets remember at the end of the day its about music and to me his music is not strong enough so his career will always have his up and downs when he doesn't have a bonifide Radio hit
  • DarkGable
    DarkGable Members Posts: 477
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Never been the same since wifin' that wildabeast.
  • dimples
    dimples Members Posts: 29
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The reason you may have just noticed that he was an average singer during the MJ tribute is because he was singing with artist with great voices. So he stood about because he couldn't compare. As far as Confessions , that shows even more that he is a manufactured artist. I mean Confessions was his best album , but musically does it compare to Marvin Gaye' " I Want You" or to MJ " Off The Wall" ? Not at all. Lets remember at the end of the day its about music and to me his music is not strong enough so his career will always have his up and downs when he doesn't have a bonifide Radio hit

I hear you. But I think it's just a reflection of the era we're in. Artists either don't seem hungry enough or are too afraid to be true artists (INDIVIDUALS), which is why in how many years from now we're still gonna be struggling to legitimately put artists of the 90s/00s to legends from the 60s/70s/80s.
    Newer artists get so stuck on jumping on trends that while they think it's what the fans want, we really just think it's predictable and silly. Like all these R&B artists continually singing over hip hop/over produced beats. If I want hip hop, I'll find a rap artist. When I want R&B, I WANT R&B, once in a while it's cool, but these young R&B singers really don't wanna stay in their lane.
    Hence one of the reasons noones buying into them anymore. They don't know what they want to be. That's why I was one of the however many thousands that got Maxwell's album that 1st week. I know what kinda artist he is, I know he's about quality and I know he's gonna deliver.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    lol at Fabolous clowning him on Twitter saying he looked like a ? Batman and he was wearing leather capri pants. lmao

I have a feeling this album will be like that album that got scrapped before 8701
  • Mrslim1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    dimples wrote: »
    I hear you. But I think it's just a reflection of the era we're in. Artists either don't seem hungry enough or are too afraid to be true artists (INDIVIDUALS), which is why in how many years from now we're still gonna be struggling to legitimately put artists of the 90s/00s to legends from the 60s/70s/80s.
    Newer artists get so stuck on jumping on trends that while they think it's what the fans want, we really just think it's predictable and silly. Like all these R&B artists continually singing over hip hop/over produced beats. If I want hip hop, I'll find a rap artist. When I want R&B, I WANT R&B, once in a while it's cool, but these young R&B singers really don't wanna stay in their lane.
    Hence one of the reasons noones buying into them anymore. They don't know what they want to be. That's why I was one of the however many thousands that got Maxwell's album that 1st week. I know what kinda artist he is, I know he's about quality and I know he's gonna deliver.

Yea that Hip Hip/R&B hybrid is wack outside of a few artist (ie Mary J Blige ) . There are still artist that are able to give you quality R&B . These artist may not get a great week one sales like a Maxwell or Sade but they still are able to sell out concerts throughout the country . Anthony Hamilton , Jill Scott. Kem etc will always be able to perform because they give a brand of music that makes a bond with their fans. Not this superficial ish that out now a days
  • makaveli03
    makaveli03 Members Posts: 2,392
    edited February 2010
    Options
    lol @ usher being an average singer
  • Mrslim1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    makaveli03 wrote: »
    lol @ usher being an average singer

Lol at you thinking he is anything but average. Great Singers are Luther Vandross, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Eddie Kendricks, Teddy Pendergrass, Maxwell, Jerry Butler etc
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    DarkGable wrote: »
    Never been the same since wifin' that wildabeast.

lol I forgot an 3rd option on that poll

'Tameka ain't ? '

idk what it is but the music just isn't connecting
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    he seems to be stuck in a time warp..idk
    he scrapped and re-recorded all the tracks for 8701 which turned out well..
    i think the industry is just different from what it was when he was able to do that 10 years ago. too much money and promo has been invested to bail on this project and i dont know if his label will allow it. ugh! it's so frustrating because i want to see him do well.
  • makaveli03
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Lol at you thinking he is anything but average. Great Singers are Luther Vandross, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Eddie Kendricks, Teddy Pendergrass, Maxwell, Jerry Butler etc

no those are legends...usher is a good to great vocalist...average is keyshia cole, or mary j blige
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Usher is the type of artist whose music you listen to, and really hope that it turns out great. You may even trick yourself into thinking that an individual song is great the first couple of times. But with each successive play, it becomes more and more evident that his music is just not that good.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    His dancing skills have fallen off too, lol at this ? doing calisthenics the last couple of videos. Switch your flow up, your ? is garbage.
  • makaveli03
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Usher is the type of artist whose music you listen to, and really hope that it turns out great. You may even trick yourself into thinking that an individual song is great the first couple of times. But with each successive play, it becomes more and more evident that his music is just not that good.

confessions, let it burn, superstar, throwback, nice and slow, u got it bad, you remind me, do it to me, u dont have to call, my boo, bad girl...i mean i can go on and on...and all these songs are classics lol @ his music is just not that good ? outa here...whos good? treygay songs?
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    makaveli03 wrote: »
    confessions, let it burn, superstar, throwback, nice and slow, u got it bad, you remind me, do it to me, u dont have to call, my boo, bad girl...i mean i can go on and on...and all these songs are classics lol @ his music is just not that good ? outa here...whos good? treygay songs?

Touche.

10 characters.
  • supern0va_
    supern0va_ Members Posts: 214
    edited February 2010
    Options
    He released this song to itunes yesterday and I actually like it. Maybe there is hope!
  • Super Lex
    Super Lex Members Posts: 460
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ^ I like that.

I'd call Usher an above average singer. He's one of the few people that I've seen do a MJ song justice. Alot of those other people could sing but they just don't fit MJ songs.

Besides that weird outfit, his NBA show wasn't bad.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited February 2010
    Options
    He needs to pump out that song with Nicki Minaj as a single to start. It's already getting decent airplay w/o any promo.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited February 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    His dancing skills have fallen off too, lol at this ? doing calisthenics the last couple of videos. Switch your flow up, your ? is garbage.
    lmao...Nowadays he focuses way too much on the Entertainment part rather than the singing part.
  • makaveli4ever
    makaveli4ever Members Posts: 826
    edited February 2010
    Options
    His dance moves were lame in that performance. Im still interested in hearing the music though.
  • quietaskept
    quietaskept Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Usher been cool with me since he dropped "My Way" in 1997. The performance was definitely whack. I thought the performance would pick up when he took it back to one of his old school joints, but it got worse. #poorursh. Usher is an above average singer, he's not the best though. He's got a slew of classic songs and for that he gets my respect, however he's losing it. He should be unafraid to make that grown folk music considering he has the fan base to support it. His singles out now are cool, I just feel like they could be ten times better.
  • makaveli4ever
    makaveli4ever Members Posts: 826
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Usher been cool with me since he dropped "My Way" in 1997. The performance was definitely whack. I thought the performance would pick up when he took it back to one of his old school joints, but it got worse. #poorursh. Usher is an above average singer, he's not the best though. He's got a slew of classic songs and for that he gets my respect, however he's losing it. He should be unafraid to make that grown folk music considering he has the fan base to support it. His singles out now are cool, I just feel like they could be ten times better.

Couldnt of said it better myself.
  • supern0va_
    supern0va_ Members Posts: 214
    edited February 2010
    Options
    that's my ? right there. he just released it yesterday? they've been playin it on the radio for almost a week now...:unno

yeah. i think he has a real hit on his hands with this one. I HOPE it's his next single. it's already top 30 on itunes, almost top 10 on urban a/c radio and top 50 on urban with no promo.
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I didn't see that performance but Usher sounds good live. His last album was str8 trash ...he just seems so different since he married "her".