Should the President Be Able 2 Go 2 War w/o Congressional Authority?

DarcSkies
DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Social Lounge
Legally this has already been hashed out. I think Congress gave Bush War Powers that pretty made him a Country Ass Napoleon (correct if wrong please).

Whatever happened to the President being able to send troops into battle for 90 days and needing congressional approval for each additional 90 days?

Should the president have the power to send troops to war without a declaration of war by Congress?

Comments

• fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Mildly interesting quote:
    “The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.” - Barack Obama
  • LV'sAndG's
    LV'sAndG's Members Posts: 75
    edited March 2011
    This whole Libya issue has to do with the United Nation's not with Obama
  • DarcSkies
    edited March 2011
    No, he should not be able to declare war, without Congress consenting...

Power-hunger is too too much of a reality, with a President now, as we certainly just saw from 2000-'08...when Bush solidified why a President should always be handcuffed by Democracy's system of checks and balances
    LVsAndGs wrote: »
    This whole Libya issue has to do with the United Nation's not with Obama
    Thats a whole other issue. Im just asking a specific question right now.
  • DarcSkies
    edited March 2011
    oh, somebody logged-in without their seeing-eye glasses, eh?

or else...you might want to re-read/see that I answered the question first, then...

went into elaborating on way it's a great idea for a President to be handcuffed by Democracy's checks and balances.
    Dude that was for the quote below you I accidently placed it under yours while I was editing LOL

Chill out my mistake.

*edits first post*