Nike to Increase Prices & Cutback On Boxes...WTF?!?!?!?!?!!?

2»

Comments

• runningwolf1980
    runningwolf1980 Members Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    major pain wrote: »
    The real question is what are you ? going to do about it? Nikes BEEN overpriced but that hasnt stopped people before. If you really want something to happen decrease the DEMAND for that ? and the price will follow. They are willing to increase the price because a) they dont give a ? about you and b) they know people will still run and line up to pick up the latest iteration of throwback Jordans.

your right...one thing i did notice though was the box the electri green foams came in i thought i was tripping till i read this thread...but reall talk i dont give a ? if foams go up to 300 im coppin them ? and the j's and the griffrys and the ect. ect. ect.....tha ? i care for? i rock sneakers cause im a sneakerhead you gotta better chance getting a crackhead to stop smokeing ? by raiseing the price of dope....
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    smh @ ? like u who don't factor in the hundreds of thousands of dollars in research and development it takes to make these shoes more comfortable, lighter, more durable, stain resistant, plus the shock absorbing cushoining technology like shox, zoom air, etc. And designers who get paid to make these shoes attractive. All china does is manufacture them. 20$??? Dog u should know better since ur a sneakerhead.

? please... If u havent noticed.. Nike is re-doing alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll of there old ? and sellin it new!

? aint check for no dam technology inthese shoes and nike knows it, ? is wearing these shoes as fashion and fashion only... Like u gone see a dude buy some brand new j's 2 hoop in...

Yeah nike is doing the new lil ipod sycin to ya shoes, but once you researched that one shoe, the same tech goes into the rest of them....
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    smh @ shoe boxes built like frosted flakes boxes out chea.

this ? made me laugh
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    You both have points...

It takes years of R&D to development the technical components necessary to help an ATHLETE perform at the highest level. ? isnt done over night. It needs to be tested extensively to insure that it works. Fly Wire and the Hyperfuse construction is used on a shoe to maintain the structural support while reducing the weight of a normal Leather/ synthetic shoe. Takes a while to be able to build that into a shoe made for 200+ pounder....

Plus you have to find the factories that can actually produce the product adequately... and they're not cheap

But yeah 30-40% of most BBall shoes are purchased with the main intent of playing in them... while the other 60-70% just plan to wear them leisurely. But its funny because Nike has been raising their prices for the last 25 years. They rerelease retros at a high price alot of times. So I'm not understanding the outrage. You guys are shoe stans. Brandmatized... your not going to stop purchasing.. especially when the cost increase will only be like 5 bucks or so..

Also.. the cost to produce in the far east isnt as cheap as it use to be 10-20-30 yrs ago. The more China's economy grows the higher the cost to manufacture.
  • runningwolf1980
    edited March 2011
    You both have points...

It takes years of R&D to development the technical components necessary to help an ATHLETE perform at the highest level. ? isnt done over night. It needs to be tested extensively to insure that it works. Fly Wire and the Hyperfuse construction is used on a shoe to maintain the structural support while reducing the weight of a normal Leather/ synthetic shoe. Takes a while to be able to build that into a shoe made for 200+ pounder....

Plus you have to find the factories that can actually produce the product adequately... and they're not cheap

But yeah 30-40% of most BBall shoes are purchased with the main intent of playing in them... while the other 60-70% just plan to wear them leisurely. But its funny because Nike has been raising their prices for the last 25 years. They rerelease retros at a high price alot of times. So I'm not understanding the outrage. You guys are shoe stans. Brandmatized... your not going to stop purchasing.. especially when the cost increase will only be like 5 bucks or so..

Also.. the cost to produce in the far east isnt as cheap as it use to be 10-20-30 yrs ago. The more China's economy grows the higher the cost to manufacture.

this ? made me laugh for some reason
  • DRO
    edited March 2011
    this ? made me laugh for some reason

? said a shoe stan....hahaaahahahah yeah I mite b....
  • runningwolf1980
    edited March 2011
    ? said a shoe stan....hahaaahahahah yeah I mite b....

sound like he a lil salty....
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    ? please... If u havent noticed.. Nike is re-doing alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll of there old ? and sellin it new!

? aint check for no dam technology inthese shoes and nike knows it, ? is wearing these shoes as fashion and fashion only... Like u gone see a dude buy some brand new j's 2 hoop in...

Yeah nike is doing the new lil ipod sycin to ya shoes, but once you researched that one shoe, the same tech goes into the rest of them....
    dog u really don't get it. its not all about the "technology" costs, they gotta pay for the leather, and all the other materials that makes the shoe no matter if its a re-release or not. all china does is put it together..like a puzzle, thats it! the research and development funding that goes into making these shoes as a whole is the reason they cost what they do. plus add on marketing spending, endorsements and etc. it may cost 20$ per shoe to sew that ? together but at the end of the day it costs way more to make it a reality. not to mention that nike marks up the price atleast 7-10 bucks per shoe to make a profit.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    smh @ ? like u who don't factor in the hundreds of thousands of dollars in research and development it takes to make these shoes more comfortable, lighter, more durable, stain resistant, plus the shock absorbing cushoining technology like shox, zoom air, etc. and designers who get paid to make these shoes attractive. all china does is manufacture them. 20$??? dog u should know better since ur a sneakerhead.

Air Forces are as uncomfortable as hell compared to many other shoes though, your argument makes no sense, i can get a a pair of shoes from my local store which cost like $60 that would be just as comfortable as any pair of Nikes and not cost as much, all that ? about technology and ? is just a good excuse to make.
  • DRO
    edited March 2011
    dog u really don't get it. its not all about the "technology" costs, they gotta pay for the leather, and all the other materials that makes the shoe no matter if its a re-release or not. all china does is put it together..like a puzzle, thats it! the research and development funding that goes into making these shoes as a whole is the reason they cost what they do. plus add on marketing spending, endorsements and etc. it may cost 20$ per shoe to sew that ? together but at the end of the day it costs way more to make it a reality. not to mention that nike marks up the price atleast 7-10 bucks per shoe to make a profit.

......u sound silly.......

Tell me this...why do jordans cost 160 and nike blazers costt 70 bucks?...same leather..same cotton...? Huh????? Its all n the name..it has nothin 2 do with leather oil or cotton going up......

Why r lebron 7s more than lebron 8s?????? Huh?...has nothin 2 do with the cost of material....supply n demand
  • DRO
    edited March 2011
    The only thing that is hurtin nikes trillion dollar pockets r the bootleggers
  • [Trillmatic]
    edited March 2011
    ......u sound silly.......

Tell me this...why do jordans cost 160 and nike blazers costt 70 bucks?...same leather..same cotton...? Huh????? Its all n the name..it has nothin 2 do with leather oil or cotton going up......

Why r lebron 7s more than lebron 8s?????? Huh?...has nothin 2 do with the cost of material....supply n demand
    dog u really comparin j's and blazers? lol c'mon son. durability, shoe technology and perfomance is the reason for the price difference smh. thats number 1..number 2...why "some" Lebron 7's are more expensive than Lebron 8's is 2 reasons and 2 reasons only: either its an exclusive colorway/PE edition or it is being sold by some one on ebay or small retailer because nike no longer directly sells them anymore. the people selling the 7's are marking them up.....not Nike. now that thats out of the way it seems my point hasn't been made clear enough based on your responses..my original and MAIN point is your an idiot if you think it costs 20 dollars to make these shoes. does nike mark up the price..of course, they wanna make money..isnt that the point?
  • [Trillmatic]
    edited March 2011
    garv wrote: »
    Air Forces are as uncomfortable as hell compared to many other shoes though, your argument makes no sense, i can get a a pair of shoes from my local store which cost like $60 that would be just as comfortable as any pair of Nikes and not cost as much, all that ? about technology and ? is just a good excuse to make.
    so my argument makes no sense because of YOUR opinion on comfortable shoes? lol ok. your first wrong move was mentiong air force ones than bashing nikes shoe technology when Af1's are one of the most basic models u can get smh. i woulda expected more from you sneakerheads.
  • Dakari
    Dakari Members Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    SKETCHERS ArE COMFORTABLE AS ? AND THEY ONLY COST LIKE $30! GTFOH WITH THAT RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT ? RAISING NIKE PRICES
  • yaboytheflashh
    yaboytheflashh Members Posts: 549
    edited March 2011

leather, cotton, and rubber ain't that expensive when you buy it in bulk. on a 200 dollar shoe, nike is gonna make a lot more than 7-10 dollar profit ma ?
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    dog u really comparin j's and blazers? lol c'mon son. durability, shoe technology and perfomance is the reason for the price difference smh. thats number 1..number 2...why "some" Lebron 7's are more expensive than Lebron 8's is 2 reasons and 2 reasons only: either its an exclusive colorway/PE edition or it is being sold by some one on ebay or small retailer because nike no longer directly sells them anymore. the people selling the 7's are marking them up.....not Nike. now that thats out of the way it seems my point hasn't been made clear enough based on your responses..my original and MAIN point is your an idiot if you think it costs 20 dollars to make these shoes. does nike mark up the price..of course, they wanna make money..isnt that the point?

Phil Knight post.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    .my original and MAIN point is your an idiot if you think it costs 20 dollars to make these shoes. does nike mark up the price..of course, they wanna make money..isnt that the point?

lol... hes not an idiot... hes just ill-informed. Alot of people have this assumption that a pair of shoes shouldnt cost alot the minute a shoe is manufactured overseas for 20 bucks.. when in reality manufacturing the shoe is just one element of a bigger picture.

Like you already stated... theres a ton of companies that have high marketing budgets, which is the reason why you guys love Nikes so much. Cause Nike knows what you like. They've done years of research on their consumer. They get the right athletes.. they get a shytload of colleges and high schools.. They make cool compelling commercials..Internet.. POP displays..release Events ... All this to convince you that their product is the best. The reason why you N*ggas wont pay 120$ for some sketchers but you will for some Nikes/ Jordans is testament to this. You want to be apart of the lifestyle, You want to wear cool shoes that will turn heads, You want to perform to the highest level possible in shoes you can rely on.

Design/ problem solving and telling that story is very important. Not only is it cool that Lebron is playing in shoes that look cool (courtesy of design) but theres also as a reason for why its designed the way it is. Form follows function.. and the more functional the product the more loyalty is built from the consumer. I mean..N*ggas werent checking for mp3 players until Apple came through and crush the building (courtesy of design) .This cost money

Developing the product is essential. This is where the product is tested. This is where the technical components are added. This is where you find a factory that can actually execute your vision effectively. This is where you have to find the right Tannery's and material/component vendors who will only ? with you if you have a sufficient amount of orders. This is the main reason why prices rise because the cost to manufacture goes up every year. You add packaging, shipping, cost an international fees and boom.. You can sell a shoe for 50 bucks... But Footlocker needs to make money.. Nike needs to make money.. factories need to be paid.. ok.. double that to 100.

So.. hes not an idiot.. but it can be hard to understand when you see some gucci's for 300$ and some Terminators for 85$ and they virtually look the same. Again.. its a lot of different reasons for the difference in SUGGESTED retail price.
  • Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    The only thing that is hurtin nikes trillion dollar pockets r the bootleggers

word

a ? tried to sell me some fake ass 24/7's over the weekend

I was like wow they bootleggin these too?

I been knew about the fake white on white Air 1's but I aint know they was bootleggin Air Max's and ? too

but yeah you could tell they were fake tho.........at least I could tell. Somebody else might not have known better