Females: Gender Discrimination @ Your Job?

Options
DarcSkies
DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Powder Room
So Wal-Mart is getting the ? sued out of them by women who claim that men get all the raises and promotions in the corporation.

When a woman asked why the male employee was getting a raise and not her she was told, "he has a wife and kids to take care of."

But she said she had 3 kids also.

For those of you with jobs good enough to worry about raises and promotions, etc.

Have you experienced gender discrimination at your job? What have you done about it? Or if you havent why havent you?

Comments

• haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I haven't experienced gender discrimination before

I have had to check people who think black people are a walking BET commercial, but gender not so much
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I havent experienced it at my job...The CEO, VP, Dir of Marketing, HR Manager, IT Head, and Controller are all women. It's not even as catty as you'd think it would be with all of these ladies in charge.
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Not at this job but DEFINITELY in the music biz. ? is ridiculous. Did nothing about it because I basically felt like I wasn't in a position to do anything about it. And honestly, if I was in the same position at a current or future job I probably wouldn't know wtf to do about it either. I mean...you basically think about being fired if you stir controversy, which makes you hesitant as hell to actually stand up for yourself. It's just....it's crazy man. Like a catch 22. If u say nothing- u won't get more money yet if you say something you might get fired.
  • Dainty
    Dainty Members Posts: 2,203
    edited March 2011
    Options
    when I worked at pizza hut they told me I couldn't do delivery...because I'm a girl.:(
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Sports Chalet wouldn't let me work in the general athletics part cause i'm a girl, sent me to go fold clothes n ? . Boy did I show them!
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Dainty wrote: »
    when I worked at pizza hut they told me I couldn't do delivery...because I'm a girl.:(

Yes because you would be delivering to random people houses, and you could be kidnapped or ? . that and for insurance purposes girls are more expensive to insure.