Lil Sambos, A Lincoln City Landmark

JadaRoss
JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
sambos.jpg

http://www.romantic-oregon-coast.com/lil-sambos.html

this is actually a real place,that's open

One of my favorite places to eat is Lil Sambos in Lincoln City. I consider it one of the best restaurants on the Oregon Coast. When I was small, my family used to go there for breakfast whenever we went to the central beaches and I eat there religiously to this day.

There were only a few places to eat in Oceanlake (one of five communities which would become Lincoln City) in 1957, the most popular being Pixie Kitchen. Although the food was terrific and drew a great deal of visitors, it didn't serve breakfast at that time. Ron Krieger, the lead cook there, saw this as both a problem and a opportunity. He opened a breakfast house one mile south of the Pixie Kitchen, naming it Pixie Pancakes. It took off like a shot.

In 1960, Ron relocated the building to it's current location and, a few years later, added a Put-Put Golf Course as a second expansion to the building. The Golf Course isn't there any longer. Pixie Pancakes became Lil Black Sambos, later changing it's name to Lil Sambos.

Many people believe that it was part of the national chain called Sambos, but that is not so. It was just coincidence that each business named themselves similarly. Lil Sambos was actually named after a children's story written in 1899 by Helen Bannerman. Little Black ? was a story about a little Indian boy, tigers and pancakes. It's a pretty cute story and I've always enjoyed it.You can read the story of Little Black ? here in PDF form (right-click and Save-as for best results).

The restaurant quickly became a landmark along the Oregon Coast. In 1955, it changed owners, but the recipes remain unchanged. Sadly, in 2001, an electrical fire gutted the original Lil Sambos building (I hate when things I knew in my youth disappear or change so drastically). Lucky thing for all of us that they decided to rebuild.

The food there is yummy, as is the cozy and friendly atmosphere. Anytime I've been there, it's been packed. Although it's a very family-oriented business, small, romantic tables can be found for you to cuddle up together for a tasty breakfast, lunch or dinner. Read what others are saying about Lil Sambos in Lincoln City

Pancakes are and always will be the main focus. Corn, banana, strawberry, blueberry, pineapple, and buttermilk pancakes are old favorites. Yummy German pancakes are made with nutmeg and lemon, or with apples and cinnamon, while crepes come with apples, blueberries or strawberries, with whipped cream. Corned beef hash, Eggs Benedict, biscuits and gravy, and, and, and, are all part of their large menu. You definitely won't have a problem finding something for everyone. The lunches and dinners are big, hearty meals as well. Breakfast has always been my meal of choice, whether it's breakfast, lunch or dinner time. While you wait to be seated or after your meal, you can visit the Tiger Gift Shop and find all kinds of goodies and treasures to take back home with you.

When you're going to Lincoln City, make sure you hit Lil Sambos in Lincoln City for good food and great surroundings. They are located at 3262 NE Hwy 101, right as you come into town . For more information, to order takeout or to book a banquet occasion, you can call (541) 994-3626

Comments