The supernatural does not exist

Options
Huruma
Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
The idea of a non-physical thing is logically contradictory, to say that a 'thing' exists implies that it consumes space and time which are only measurements we use to describe the distance between objects or the motion of objects. It's not even an idea that needs to be refuted because it's a meaningless proposition, just like a square triangle or asking 'what color is 7' is a meaningless idea or question. How can something not physically exist but still exist 'in some way'? Not only is non-physical/super-natural phenomenon logically impossible but it's impossible to imagine. I can imagine going backward in time which, as far as I know, is logically impossible (unless you're talking about traveling to parallel universes that are identical to our past) but you can't even imagine what a non-physical thing (? , soul, ) is since, by definition, a non-physical thing cannot be physically detected. I can imagine ? as bright, white light with the voice of James Earl Jones but I can only see and hear light and sound because they are physical phenomenon and all physical phenomenon is subject to physical laws of causality, nothing is fundamentally unexplainable. If ? exists, he would be a physical being like we are.

Not only is there no evidence for the existence of the supernatural but by the very definition of 'supernatural', there could never be any evidence for the supernatural since evidence is information gathered through observation or experimentation that supports a hypothesis. We can't observe supernatural phenomenon with any of our senses and we can't test any ideas we have about the supernatural or experiment with the supernatural in any way since supernatural things cannot affect us as physical beings who live in the physical universe. If vampires, angels, ghosts etc. and what appears to be magic or supernatural phenomenon exist, they can be explained through science.

Comments

• toktaylor
    toktaylor Members Posts: 612 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Because we do not understand the component or science of the existence of a Creator does not make the entity "supernatural". Does the Universe exist?...what is outside of the universe...by what law of nature is the universe existing in space...what is at the edge of the universe...does gravity exists there. Do you exist...whay makes you, you. Are you sure you are not ? but you just dont remember, since you are habitating an earthly body? What is time and space...can you see Yesterday...Does tomorrow exists...how can you prove it does today.
  • Huruma
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Because we do not understand the component or science of the existence of a Creator does not make the entity "supernatural".

If the same natural laws that explain thunder, rain, gravity etc. don't apply to ? then it is 'supernatural' (ie. beyond nature).
    Does the Universe exist?..

There's evidence for the universe's existence.
    what is outside of the universe...

Nothing is outside of the uni/multi-verse. The uni (or multi) verse is all the matter in existence (and 'energy' is just a property of matter). If I'm not mistaken, space' doesn't exist independently of matter, space-time is just a construct we use to understand the physical universe.
    by what law of nature is the universe existing in space...what is at the edge of the universe...does gravity exists there.

Physicists think of space as being curved, they say our universe has no center or edges. Gravity is just the force of attraction between objects.
    Do you exist...whay makes you, you.

Huruma is an experience constructed by 'my' brain.
    Are you sure you are not ? but you just dont remember, since you are habitating an earthly body?

I'm sure that I'm not a supernatural being for the reasons I've mentioned. Maybe I am some alien from another planet plugged into a virtual reality machine and experiencing the simulated illusion of being a human on Earth.
    What is time and space...can you see Yesterday...Does tomorrow exists...how can you prove it does today.

The constantly changing present is what exists.'Past' and 'future' are constructs we use to make sense of the constantly changing nature of reality.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    He has it all figured out...............
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Metaphysical naturalism FTW.
  • toktaylor
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    If the same natural laws that explain thunder, rain, gravity etc. don't apply to ? then it is 'supernatural' (ie. beyond nature).

There's evidence for the universe's existence.

Nothing is outside of the uni/multi-verse. The uni (or multi) verse is all the matter in existence (and 'energy' is just a property of matter). If I'm not mistaken, space' doesn't exist independently of matter, space-time is just a construct we use to understand the physical universe.

Physicists think of space as being curved, they say our universe has no center or edges. Gravity is just the force of attraction between objects.

Huruma is an experience constructed by 'my' brain.

I'm sure that I'm not a supernatural being for the reasons I've mentioned. Maybe I am some alien from another planet plugged into a virtual reality machine and experiencing the simulated illusion of being a human on Earth.

The constantly changing present is what exists.'Past' and 'future' are constructs we use to make sense of the constantly changing nature of reality.

then the simple answer to all of the above is :

“? ” is manifested in the structure of the universe, and in all the works of Creation.
  • Huruma
    edited March 2011
    Options
    toktaylor wrote: »
    then the simple answer to all of the above is :

“? ” is manifested in the structure of the universe, and in all the works of Creation.

If you want to call '? ' the 'universe', we're just playing with words. That's different than the '? ' who is thought of as a conscious being or some kind of metaphysical 'energy'.
  • toktaylor
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    If you want to call '? ' the 'universe', we're just playing with words. That's different than the '? ' who is thought of as a conscious being or some kind of metaphysical 'energy'.

but since the universe has intellectual design (in the laws of nature)... why cant he be both?
  • toktaylor
    edited March 2011
    Options
    If you apply ? to nature in the following...you can see the mainfestation of the creator/designer...

The "Laws of Nature" are neither matter nor energy - they are the phenomena that control the action and interaction of all matter and energy in the universe. They are universally invariant, conditions may change but the "Laws" never vary. When the "Laws of Nature" came into existence the universe came into existence, they created the universe and determined its size - where the "Laws" end, the universe ends.
    The concept of the "Laws of Nature" and "Universal Space" are the same. Nothing can exist beyond their domain, not even space. They are the framework of the universe that give the universe its personality. What would the universe be like without inertia or gravity, etc.. They create the personality of the universe.
    Universal space has no structure, it is all one, there is no unique part of space. Space (the "laws of nature") may or may not be expanding. If they are expanding this could account for the "red shift" of the galaxies. If space is not expanding, the galaxies are simply falling toward the outer boundary of a finite universe, this would also explain the "red shift" of the galaxies.
    Nothing moves - relative to space itself. The planet Earth (and everything else in the universe) is stationary - relative to universal space itself. (This should soon be borne out when the results of "Gravity Probe B" are fully analyzed.) The "energy level" of matter - relative to space - determines a body's inertial mass.
    • Inertia for example is the law that requires a force be exerted on matter for it to accelerate or rise to a higher space energy level. Galileo discovered this phenomena and Newton wrote down the mathematical formula F=MA that best explains how a body of matter, acts under this law, relative to other bodies,. If there was no 'Law of Inertia' the universe would have a much different personality. (Perhaps we would not have to wear inertial seat belts in our cars, etc.)
    • Newton mathematically explained why an apple falls to the ground instead of falling upward - and called this phenomena 'Gravity' - in doing so he helped explain how the heavens work.
    • Maxwell explained mathematically how light travels in space.
    • Einstein discovered the mathematical relationship of inertial mass of a body and energy, represented by the equation E=MC2. Inertial mass is the energy level (space energy level) of a body of matter relative to space.
    • Max Plank discovered the mysterious phenomena of Quantum Mechanics which scientists don't fully understand but use anyway.
    • Then there is the phenomena of life itself - another group of laws of nature that govern every aspect of life, (biology, evolution, etc.,) that scientists are just beginning to understand and explain.
    These are just a few of the phenomena that run the universe - there are many others - some yet to be discovered and explained. They are universal - conditions may vary but the Laws of Nature are invariant and unbreakable. The Laws of Nature do not exist apart from the universe - they together with matter and energy - Created and govern the Universe.
    Donald Hamilton, author of "The "MIND of Mankind"
  • Go figure...
    Go figure... Members Posts: 1,471 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ^^^
    this dude be shittin on folks sumtimes