Isn't it crazy how they paint MLK's day as a "Black" holiday?

2»

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited January 2010
    As for George Washington, he had over 300 slaves at the time of his death. We all know slavery was no picnic,< funny word... Its very likely he was gettin some slave poom poom, when and where ever he wanted.
    possible, i suppose, but given that such tales tend to get told by someone if even possibly true (see also: Jefferson)... but regardless, my larger point remains "why is Washington the man to be identified with ? when turbo-classy dudes like Andrew Jackson go without mention"
    Thomas jefferson had him some ? babies... Why couldn't George have done the same? Oh, because history books dont say so.
    although one might note the difference between Washington and Jefferson regarding the disposition of their slaves after their deaths MIGHT indicate a difference between the men that would, for example, indicate Washington wasn't a slave-? machine of a man
    The Jackal wrote: »
    Some would disagree with the exact wording of Native Americans being Mexicans. Which is why I worded it that way
    well, i guess you could say that the nation of Mexico only exists because a bunch of immigrant white folks showed up. so if you think the US stole Native American land, don't you think the Mexicans stole their land from the Native Americans just the same?
    (although i get your "why call Mexicans immigrants on land we acquired from Mexico" commentary)
  • emaculate
    emaculate Members Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    I find this intriguing... where do you live?

Stafford, VA
    i think it may jus be a Virginia thing, Robert E. Lee, respected General out here, but w/e
  • plocc
    plocc Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    I personally felt the whole thing was a bit ingenuous. Plus I've yet to see a MLK st. go thru white neighborhoods or downtown business districts and I've been to most major cities east of the miss. river and a few west of it. MLK ST. is always in THE HOOD. Chris Rock even got a joke about it.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Janklow
    ~possible, i suppose, but given that such tales tend to get told by someone if even possibly true (see also: Jefferson)... but regardless, my larger point remains "why is Washington the man to be identified with ? when turbo-classy dudes like Andrew Jackson go without mention"
    although one might note the difference between Washington and Jefferson regarding the disposition of their slaves after their deaths MIGHT indicate a difference between the men that would, for example, indicate Washington wasn't a slave-? machine of a man

Me
    I can't find myself defending slavery or any slave owner for that matter. As if it makes it any better he didn't ? his slaves. Is this a person's good deeds out weighing his evil ones? As far as the Jefferson thing goes they do have DNA evidence but I guess it taints his image and American History so of course it will be written off as speculation. I have already stated what Kind of man Andrew Jackson was in my very first comment. See a doc about the cherokee nation. This man defied a supreme court ruling. Unheard of! Just more likely to me Washington was going hard with slavery because he was in no rush to set them free and he had plenty. He even had a rotation of slaves where he lived coming in and out the territory so they would NOT be freed by local laws where he lived that were passed. I mean dude, its slavery... Old Hickory A.K.A. Andrew does not fit the persona, he's too hateful. Hateful man with attitude for murder verses a kind good natured caring intellectual who could get away with anything he wanted regarding his slaves. Have you even watched roots? I think your forgeting what slavery was...
  • janklow
    edited January 2010
    I can't find myself defending slavery or any slave owner for that matter. As if it makes it any better he didn't ? his slaves.
    considering that i was asking who the "rapists" are, it doesn't make it better or worse, but if he didn't, it makes your comments inaccurate and pointless. and yes, often people's good deeds outweigh their bad ones.
    As far as the Jefferson thing goes they do have DNA evidence but I guess it taints his image and American History so of course it will be written off as speculation.
    the "speculation" has more to do with the DNA connection to the Jefferson family being the only strong evidence to go on. we don't really have much else.
    I have already stated what Kind of man Andrew Jackson was in my very first comment. See a doc about the cherokee nation. This man defied a supreme court ruling. Unheard of!
    and yet, to repeat myself, you ran with examples of Washington and Polk.
    He even had a rotation of slaves where he lived coming in and out the territory so they would NOT be freed by local laws where he lived that were passed.
    alright, let's hear some support for this...
  • perspective@100
    edited January 2010
    janklow wrote: »
    considering that i was asking who the "rapists" are, it doesn't make it better or worse, but if he didn't, it makes your comments inaccurate and pointless. and yes, often people's good deeds outweigh their bad ones.

? ...

the "speculation" has more to do with the DNA connection to the Jefferson family being the only strong evidence to go on. we don't really have much else.

More ? considering they have journals and diaries and other writtings docuementing these ? children that go into detail about the where abouts of the mistress and descriptions of the children.
    and yet, to repeat myself, you ran with examples of Washington and Polk.

I have naver once said this name... Polk?
    alright, let's hear some support for this...

Man this is fact, you can read that for your self... They probably have that in wikipedia... You might need to Brush up your history on Washington...
  • perspective@100
    edited January 2010
    @janklow

Pennsylvania had begun an abolition of slavery in 1780, and prohibited nonresidents from holding slaves in the state longer than six months. If held beyond that period, the state's Gradual Abolition Law[70] gave those slaves the power to free themselves. Washington argued (privately) that his presence in Pennsylvania was solely a consequence of Philadelphia's being the temporary seat of the federal government, and that the state law should not apply to him. On the advice of his attorney general, Edmund Randolph, he systematically rotated the President's House slaves in and out of the state to prevent their establishing a six-month continuous residency. This rotation was itself a violation of the Pennsylvania law, but the President's actions were not challenged.

Proof my ni99a...
  • rusty shackleford
    rusty shackleford Members Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    well.. i mean.. i understand Dr. King wanted peace & unity for us all.. it's just kinda sad to me that we have quotes such as "we the people" & "we shall over come".... but in all the "we" this & "freedom" that... the fact that those quotes were & have always been exclusively race inclusional [& in essence seperating us further] is ever present.. & what's worse is inna country where the only seperation should be that of church & state, paying taxes in exchange for nice roads, schools &... basic FREEDOM means everyone gets those exact things except for ? people.. & because of these gritty details, if my partner of 11 years gets into an accident & is in ICU on the edge of death, they won't let me in to say goodbye to the love of my life because we can't be in a union with one another thus we're not family.. all a reflection of our government in one breath braggin' about how the terrorists hate us because of our freedoms & then in the next allowing the u.s. citizens to decide whether or not ? people will be blessed with the loving embrace of human rights that are inalienable to begin with.. & the most ironic thing about this is a large majority of the benefactors of civil rights will be the first ones lined up at the polls to deny those rights to us. & a lot of the politicians won't stand up & speak for ? rights because their having a job depends on whether or not they ? off their constituency.. so you see.. freedumb is but an illusion designed to be handed out like VIP passes for those who ? & moan loud enough about it.. which brings us back to Dr. King. none of this is meant as a disrespect towards him... never that. no matterwhat his views on homosexuality were, he gave his life so selflessly for the struggle for equality & that's something i'm not able to articulate with words how much i respect him for...
  • BOSS KTULU
    BOSS KTULU Banned Users Posts: 978 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Reparations> public education, food stamps, government college grants for minorities

And what dollar amount would you like each and every black person in the country to be paid as reparations, bro?

It's never happening. Enjoy your free education, free food, and free housing.
  • perspective@100
    edited January 2010
    BOSS KTULU wrote: »
    And what dollar amount would you like each and every black person in the country to be paid as reparations, bro?

It's never happening. Enjoy your free education, free food, and free housing.

I does... its great
  • janklow
    edited February 2010
    ? ...
    your contention is that no man can do wrong and yet have that outweighed by what they do that's good? because if so, you'd better not claim to have respect for any man of consequence, really.
    More ? considering they have journals and diaries and other writtings docuementing these ? children that go into detail about the where abouts of the mistress and descriptions of the children.
    except that some writings are not the most reliable sources. look, DNA doesn't lie, but it might not specifically call out Jefferson. and frankly, it's a much easier argument to attack his personal behavior regarding slavery without having to rely
    I have naver once said this name... Polk?
    you actually didn't say it, but you jumped in as i was responding to a poster who made Washington and Polk the presidents he called out. the whole notion has been "why are these two are the worst of the worst?"
    Man this is fact, you can read that for your self... They probably have that in wikipedia... You might need to Brush up your history on Washington...
    please don't give me an argument that claims i need to brush up on something by reading it in Wikipedia.
    This rotation was itself a violation of the Pennsylvania law, but the President's actions were not challenged.
    oh, Pennsylvania. i was expecting something regarding his more renowned residence.
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Chike wrote: »
    That's the thing. They're not patriotic because of the idea of America, they're patriotic due to conditioning and mind control. I garruntee deep down inside, though they would NEVER admit this, they would have absolutely NO problem with bringing slavery back in effect. They still got white privilege though and that's why they're still happy.

Exactly. I agree with every word. Especially since slavery wasnt ended because it was "wrong" it was ended because it was unsustainable to the Northern economy.

That said, MLK is a black holiday. He did great things for black people. Do you think whites would every truly want to celebrate that? Notice they dont even have a celebration for the end to slavery. You would think that would be a Federal Holiday in itself. Anything that has even a hint of positivity towards blacks a ? will never want to have anything to do with.

They really dont have any goodness or decency in them for the most part. Of course there is an exception to every rule. But exceptions are, of course, rare.
  • emaculate
    emaculate Members Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    plocc wrote: »
    I personally felt the whole thing was a bit ingenuous. Plus I've yet to see a MLK st. go thru white neighborhoods or downtown business districts and I've been to most major cities east of the miss. river and a few west of it. MLK ST. is always in THE HOOD. Chris Rock even got a joke about it.

where i go to school (penn state) they thinkin bout naming a street after him...idk if its gon happn tho
  • perspective@100
    edited February 2010
    your contention is that no man can do wrong and yet have that outweighed by what they do that's good? because if so, you'd better not claim to have respect for any man of consequence, really.

except that some writings are not the most reliable sources. look, DNA doesn't lie, but it might not specifically call out Jefferson. and frankly, it's a much easier argument to attack his personal behavior regarding slavery without having to rely

you actually didn't say it, but you jumped in as i was responding to a poster who made Washington and Polk the presidents he called out. the whole notion has been "why are these two are the worst of the worst?"

please don't give me an argument that claims i need to brush up on something by reading it in Wikipedia.

oh, Pennsylvania. i was expecting something regarding his more renowned residence.

I don't respect many actually, but the point is these men with huge atrocities are glorified.
    Black people with atroscites are always villified even if they do good in the later of their lives.
    With that said who is a reliable source for anything?
    If writtings and DNA are not enough in History then what?
    My bad for jumping in the debate all unannounced.
    You right I was just being an ass about the history comment, I was getting emotional, lol.
    I don't know, Washington just had a lot of slaves...That all
  • janklow
    edited February 2010
    I don't respect many actually, but the point is these men with huge atrocities are glorified. Black people with atroscites are always villified even if they do good in the later of their lives.
    well, i don't know that the former or the latter is true, but there's a difference between saying "you've done enough good to outweigh your bad" and "you've done something good despite what you've done that was bad." i'm curious as to an example of your latter concept because i can't think of one easily off the top of my head.
    With that said who is a reliable source for anything? If writtings and DNA are not enough in History then what?
    well, let me restate. the origin of the stories about Jefferson was a guy trying to make Jefferson look bad by implying the relationship; this may be accurate, but his motives make his stories very suspect. as to the DNA, my understanding (and really, correct me if i'm wrong) is that it ties to Jefferson's family but not necessarily Jefferson himself. again, i'm not saying he didn't father any/all of her children, but i'm not treating it as established fact.
    My bad for jumping in the debate all unannounced.
    no, no, that's my fault for conflating your remarks with those of another poster.
    I don't know, Washington just had a lot of slaves...That all
    i guess i was thinking that you were going to refer to Mount Vernon, that's all.
  • edogz818
    edogz818 Members Posts: 164
    edited February 2010
    MLK has a holiday , because he was a sellout. He was appointed as Black folks leader by the government.
    Malcom X doesn't get a holiday because he advocated self defense , which the criminal ( Government ) doesn't like. Same with Christmas. Think of Jesus & "turn the other cheek". Jesus wasn't born on Dec.25, & definitely wouldn't turn the other cheek, unless he was outnumbered & out gunned.

The messages were turned around & perverted. Folks have been fooled & hood winked. they probably support Obama because he's black, ? , I did, before I knew any better. Now I don't support any of them. I mean really, would Jesus vote?
  • rusty shackleford
    edited April 2011
    well.. i mean.. i understand Dr. King wanted peace & unity for us all.. it's just kinda sad to me that we have quotes such as "we the people" & "we shall over come".... but in all the "we" this & "freedom" that... the fact that those quotes were & have always been exclusively race inclusional [& in essence seperating us further] is ever present.. & what's worse is inna country where the only seperation should be that of church & state, paying taxes in exchange for nice roads, schools &... basic FREEDOM means everyone gets those exact things except for ? people.. & because of these gritty details, if my partner of 11 years gets into an accident & is in ICU on the edge of death, they won't let me in to say goodbye to the love of my life because we can't be in a union with one another thus we're not family.. all a reflection of our government in one breath braggin' about how the terrorists hate us because of our freedoms & then in the next allowing the u.s. citizens to decide whether or not ? people will be blessed with the loving embrace of human rights that are inalienable to begin with.. & the most ironic thing about this is a large majority of the benefactors of civil rights will be the first ones lined up at the polls to deny those rights to us. & a lot of the politicians won't stand up & speak for ? rights because their having a job depends on whether or not they ? off their constituency.. so you see.. freedumb is but an illusion designed to be handed out like VIP passes for those who ? & moan loud enough about it.. which brings us back to Dr. King. none of this is meant as a disrespect towards him... never that. no matterwhat his views on homosexuality were, he gave his life so selflessly for the struggle for equality & that's something i'm not able to articulate with words how much i respect him for...
    "Freedumb"

From slavery to days where even water fountains were separate.
    Marched on Washington with M.L.K. cause times were desperate.
    Aggressively pursued progressive civil rights for blacks.
    But that script flipped with Prop 8, the hate they have for the "? "
    is irony. The hypocritical bigotry needs to cease.
    Obsolete & completely the opposite of peace.
    Go ask my niece, we practice humanity, not calamity.
    Can it be we're alone in plans to save this planet, b?
    Man..... I hope not.. Please say it aint so.
    This ? the reason I be crushin' hash in my dro.
    Plus I'm blastin' on foes, knocka dread lopsided.
    But all Jamaicas not bigots, so don't stereotype it
    as the most anti-? place on earth.
    They despise what they can't change & self hatred is a curse.
    That leads to a hearse, which subsequently leads to the dirt.
    & lifes worth much more than it's hurt, don't waste your's bein' a ? .

"FREE AT LAST, GOOD ? ALMIGHTY, FREE AT LAST"
    Then point at ? people screamin' "NOT SO FAST!!"
    Yeah we're free, free to be dumb, repeatin' the past.
    Like a Tec turntable spinnin' scratched up wax..

In the land of Freedumb, the enslaved still wearin' chains.
    Soapy suds washin' brains, hence the need for change.
    Fourteen states legalized medical marijuana.
    Yet & still I'm kept from marrying the person i wanna.
    Eleven years with him so far without so much as a comma.
    We run on sentences with our own health care, ? Obama.
    And Where The ? Osama? I'd ask the C.I.A.
    An asset slash patsy for the 11th day.
    Of the 9th month, in the 1st year of this millennium.
    Round up mathematicians & give em' each a pentium.
    To calculate the odds & explain how this could happen.
    NRO told it's a drill as two planes crash in Manhattan.
    Laughin' at the fact the news is tryin' to dumb me down.
    Hijackers passport survived fire & found down on the ground?
    Paper/plastic makes it out while steel beams melt & collapse?
    Do the math, you'll see we're facin' babylonian's wrath.

This Lyrical Easel Exposes Inherent Evil
    Votes For Weasels Who Turn To Weavels In The Face Of Upheavals
    Tellin' My People Marriage Is Sacred, Fakin', Don't Take It There
    While Your DVRs Tapin' Who Wants To Marry A Millionaire
    So Is Prostitution A Sacred Institution Too?
    With All The Reverends Dressed Like Pimps, I See How You'd Think It's True
    A Few Slitherin' Snakes, They Made Their Way To The Polls
    Mixin' Hate & Prop 8, Blacks Slammed The Freedom Door Closed
    NOOOO!! Damn.. Are My Eyes Contorting The Imagery?
    Civil Right Benefactor's Kids Resortin' To Bigotry?
    Mentally & Physically Schooled Yall Should Be From That Path
    Instead Of Repeatin' Mistakes Of Mankind's Turbulant Past
    A Bird Inna Glass Cage Can't Flee From Cats Tryin' To Eat Em'
    We Be Them When We Go Forget The Double Meanin' Of Freedom/dumb
    Completely Cheatin' Sayin' Terrorists Hate Us Cause Of Our Rights
    Yeah Right, Like Before 67', Blacks Could Wed Whites..

• rusty shackleford
    edited April 2011
    homosexuality isn't, a Right, it is a choice...therefore should never be equated to Race-disparities, where people get treated like sub-human because of how they exited the ? looking like, the opposite of Earth's Dominant Culture..
    they are exactly the same in the sense that you don't get to pick who it is you are to be born as.. the olny difference between the black struggle here in the u.s. & the ? struggle is time.. Leviticus was written 3400 years ago & it issues death warrents for every ? person. ? people have been murdered because the ONLY choice they made was to stop lying to their selves..
    Homosexuality, should never be equated to such atrocities...because people have a choice, to stop exuding and resonating Homosexuality...but that's not the case, for one's Black skin when it's being used to treat you like a 2nd-Class citizen.
    not being able to form a legal union with the person you plan on spending your life with [ironically in the one land that brags about how free it's people are] while paying the same taxes as everyone else = being a second class citizen.. 2nd class has nothing to do with your skin color as much as the oppertunities afforded to you under the law..

L<-that's your's