48÷2(9+3) = ???

1789101113»

Comments

• MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Isn't 2(9+3) a complete term? When did they start breaking those up?

This right here. People keep saying pemdas but then say multiplication and division are equal in priority but don't realze that multiplication is a parenthetical operation therefore supersedes anything else.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    This right here. People keep saying pemdas but then say multiplication and division are equal in priority but don't realze that multiplication is a parenthetical operation therefore supersedes anything else.

yes, it is and this is where they go wrong.
  • Bakari
    Bakari Members Posts: 133
    edited April 2011
    this ? gotta be 288
  • Super Lex
    Super Lex Members Posts: 460
    edited April 2011
    ? still trying to get this answer? lol I spoke with someone on this. They said 2. Then they explained why its 288 when I said that people were saying 2 was wrong. He almost changed my mind. ? all that. The answer is 2.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Super Lex wrote: »
    ? still trying to get this answer? lol I spoke with someone on this. They said 2. Then they explained why its 288 when I said that people were saying 2 was wrong. He almost changed my mind. ? all that. The answer is 2.

LOL, when sure ? ain't sure.
  • turqiun
    turqiun Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Damn yall ? still tryna figure this out hu? haha
  • I.B. Blackman
    I.B. Blackman Members Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited April 2011
    The way you do this problem per the rules you SHOULD have learned in high school algebra is as follows:

Always process the equations inside parenthesis FIRST.

48/2(9+3) = 48/2(12)
    Next, process multiplication in order from left to right:

48/2(12) = 48/2*12 = 48/24

Finally, process the division

48/24 = 2

This is the answer.

Multiplication does not take precedence over division. I have found at least one web site that holds the 2(9+3) must be resolved to a single component. They call it multiplication by juxtaposition. That is 2(9+3) implies (2(9+3)). Given this interpretation the answer would be 2. This seems patently sloppy though since 2(9+3) should be interchangeable with 2*(9+3) and would not be with this interpretation.

Your position that multiplication precedes division violates the associative and communicative laws. The associative law states

a*b*c
    (a*b)*c
    a*(b*c)

all are identical. The communicative states

a*b*c = c*b*a

A multiplicative reciprocal is 1/x or x^-1 which when multiplied by x results in one. With this all of the following must produce the same result

6*4*3
    6*3*4

Also

6*4*(1/3) ... Here I wanted to write one third but can not given the text used.
    6*(1/3)*4

Given I am using the multiplicative reciprocal of 3 I can replace one third with division by 3

6*4/3 = 6/3*4

Multiplication and division must be resolved from left to right without precedent unless parentheses exist.
  • konceptjones
    edited April 2011
    whar67 wrote: »
    Multiplication does not take precedence over division. I have found at least one web site that holds the 2(9+3) must be resolved to a single component. They call it multiplication by juxtaposition. That is 2(9+3) implies (2(9+3)). Given this interpretation the answer would be 2. This seems patently sloppy though since 2(9+3) should be interchangeable with 2*(9+3) and would not be with this interpretation.

Your position that multiplication precedes division violates the associative and communicative laws. The associative law states

a*b*c
    (a*b)*c
    a*(b*c)

all are identical. The communicative states

a*b*c = c*b*a

A multiplicative reciprocal is 1/x or x^-1 which when multiplied by x results in one. With this all of the following must produce the same result

6*4*3
    6*3*4

Also

6*4*(1/3) ... Here I wanted to write one third but can not given the text used.
    6*(1/3)*4

Given I am using the multiplicative reciprocal of 3 I can replace one third with division by 3

6*4/3 = 6/3*4

Multiplication and division must be resolved from left to right without precedent unless parentheses exist.

[img]http://members.? .net/logic7/whoa.jpg[/img]

but seriously, you do realize that your analysis of the equation fits squarely within my explanation, right?
  • ImGettingOld
    ImGettingOld Members Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    You ? still on this its 2 now stop
  • konceptjones
    edited April 2011
    You ? still on this its 2 now stop

That's my point; I already stated it's 2.
  • whar67
    edited April 2011

but seriously, you do realize that your analysis of the equation fits squarely within my explanation, right?

Since you believe multiplication takes precedence over division the statements

6*4/3 != 6/3*4

They in fact do. If multiplication takes precedence then

6/3*4 = 6/12 = 1/2

While

6*4/3 = 24/3 = 8

The first should proceed like so

6/3*4 = 2 * 4 = 8
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    freshb651 wrote: »
    it's 2........

^^^^what he said
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    whar67 wrote: »
    Since you believe multiplication takes precedence over division the statements

6*4/3 != 6/3*4

They in fact do. If multiplication takes precedence then

6/3*4 = 6/12 = 1/2

While

6*4/3 = 24/3 = 8

The first should proceed like so

6/3*4 = 2 * 4 = 8

? put in factorials now? Whoa.
  • whar67
    edited April 2011
    ? put in factorials now? Whoa.

A factorial would represent the product of a sequence of integers. Written 3! it would represent 3x2x1 or 6. I am just doing basic multiplication and division. I have to use the '/' symbol since I have no other keystroke for division.
This discussion has been closed.