Video game renaisssance?

Options
headrek1
headrek1 Members Posts: 121
edited February 2010 in IllGaming
I know technically it's no renaissance, maybe a golden age, but can anybody ever remember a time where so many high quality games were out at the same time?

I started counting from the summer for me:
Arkham Asylumn: Was that ?
Prototype: Was that ?
Bio Shock 2: Is looking to be that ? (wanna play)
Uncharted 2: was that ? (Don't own ps3, have played it tho)
Dragon Age Origins: Was that ?
Assasins Creed 2: was that ?
Mass Effect 2: was that ?
Dark siders: Hot ?

add onto the list I'm sure there are more, like the prototype-type game that came out on PS3, I heard that was better than prototype.

But is it just me or are both systems oozing out quality games all of a sudden? I'm used to seeing one or two great games a season, but to have this many seems different.

Comments

• themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    killzone 2
    ninja gaiden sigma 1 aand 2
    gow 3
    red dead redemption
    mgs 4
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    headrek1 wrote: »
    I know technically it's no renaissance, maybe a golden age, but can anybody ever remember a time where so many high quality games were out at the same time?

add onto the list I'm sure there are more, like the prototype-type game that came out on PS3, I heard that was better than prototype.

But is it just me or are both systems oozing out quality games all of a sudden? I'm used to seeing one or two great games a season, but to have this many seems different.

infamous.

and yes that was 10x better than Prototype. I like Prototype and all, but it just wasn't the dopeness to me lol the whole being able to change and run up walls was the cool thing about it. Graphics sucked big time though, they could've executed this game wayyyyyy better.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    final fantasy 13 and ? of war 3 will be the ?
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I aint dissing your post. But, I think alot of these games are mad overrated.
    As gamers we should demand alot more.

Prototype - The concept seemed sick. Graphics were wack.
    Bioshock 2 - Graphics and gameplay werent much of a leap from the first game(which was phenomenol).
    Uncharted 2 - Stupidly overrated. Graphics are sick though.
    Assassins Creed 2 - Like Assassins Creed 1 but less repetetive.

I really expect more nowadays.

I expect a gripping story line(thoughout the game) and some great characters(which we can relate to). When I pay that amount of money, I expect my moneys worth.

Like Gears 2. Great Characters, Grear storyline.

I dont wont ? I can play through without giving a ? at the end.

I want my emotions to be ? with.

I think we really should demand more.

co-shizzle...its about time sum1 spoke truth round here...

sumtimes i get fed up reading arcade posts...no hate to tha threadstarter....but...

how in the hell are guna put 'renaissance' and 'prototype' in the same sentence ?...wtf ?....

prototype literally had ps2 standard gfx, the game should never ever be mentioned in a thread liek this...n the plot was lame...n infamous was a wack also...

im tired of n00bs in the aracde, im sorry.....batman arkham asylum ?...? please....llook i dont care if a game is fun to play or it has good action scenes n cool features....most next gen games that get hyped are like 6-10 hours long and EASY as hell...not to mention far too n00b friendly...its the longer, tougher, rpg/adventure type games with epic storylines that immerse u from the jump that dont get hype they deserve...

an sp only game that is short and easy can never ben givin a rating over 8/10 imo...thats an embarrasment to gaming.

i aint hatin, but i demand a whole lot more from my games, espicially in this so called new age of next gen gaming...were we be spendin literally THOUSANDS....im casual nower dayz...but at the same time i cant pay money for a an easy ass short game....espically if its a SP only game.....at least be innovative or creative...? at least make sure the grahpics are on point...is that too much to ask ?

if im being 100% honest...theres probably only 3-5 or so games on ps3 that deserve a 9/10 rating....yet if u go to metacritic or ign thers a ton of games that r overrated...

n has nobody noticed the recent over stauration of hack n slash/adventure type games ?

demon souls
    bayonetta
    dante inferno
    dark siders
    gow

i remember bk in the day (ps1/2 age) wen u cud buy a game n u wud literally get stuck, to the point were u had no choice but to stop playing, lol....n not every1 had the internet so it aint like u cud jus google for a walkthrough, but now we have ? tutorials in every game telling us how to 'press x' to jump or dodge or run...seriously....why are devs suddenly treating us like 12 yr olds ?, n u run thru them without even getting stuck at a puzzle, a boss, a swarm of enemies, missing item or key etc...u jus run thru, complete...then login to the arcade n call it contender for GOTY....ok then.....sorry but u've all been brainwashed...the gaming industry has done a 'number'on its consumers, fooling them into thinkin they gettin their moneys worth...if it was'nt for HD technology sum of these games wud be sooo horrible looking....maybe im asking for too much in 2010...but killzone still looked good in SD, so did MGS4...n in HD they were stunning...but prototype ?...infamous ?...na....wat gamers need to do is stop hyping up every semi-good looking game n actually look for a challenge or for something original that aint 2-3 days long with 64 bit gfx....

i need to start up on oblivion: elder scrolls, or cop that fallout 3....or do sumthin quik...cos im not sure i can even fk with the new FF13, i jus bought FF8 on psn so i mite jus fk with that...

sad to say the best feature of nxt gen gaming is 'multiplayer' feature...without it...seriously...wat wud be the point ?
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    headrek1 wrote: »

except for prototype which was awful and darksiders which i havent played, i agree with t/s. AA should get props on finally getting a superhero game right. if you cant even recognize that, ur full of ? . i would throw in demons souls too. great throwback to the hard ass game you played in your youth taht drove you nuts with how tough it was. infamous was so much damn fun too, its a shame the gfx were subpar. i cant wait to see how they fix it up for the sequel.
  • Put'Em On The Glass!
    Put'Em On The Glass! Members Posts: 6
    edited February 2010
    Options
    One Spliff wrote: »
    co-shizzle...its about time sum1 spoke truth round here...

sumtimes i get fed up reading arcade posts...no hate to tha threadstarter....but...

how in the hell are guna put 'renaissance' and 'prototype' in the same sentence ?...wtf ?....

prototype literally had ps2 standard gfx, the game should never ever be mentioned in a thread liek this...n the plot was lame...n infamous was a wack also...

im tired of n00bs in the aracde, im sorry.....batman arkham asylum ?...? please....llook i dont care if a game is fun to play or it has good action scenes n cool features....most next gen games that get hyped are like 6-10 hours long and EASY as hell...not to mention far too n00b friendly...its the longer, tougher, rpg/adventure type games with epic storylines that immerse u from the jump that dont get hype they deserve...

an sp only game that is short and easy can never ben givin a rating over 8/10 imo...thats an embarrasment to gaming.

i aint hatin, but i demand a whole lot more from my games, espicially in this so called new age of next gen gaming...were we be spendin literally THOUSANDS....im casual nower dayz...but at the same time i cant pay money for a an easy ass short game....espically if its a SP only game.....at least be innovative or creative...? at least make sure the grahpics are on point...is that too much to ask ?

if im being 100% honest...theres probably only 3-5 or so games on ps3 that deserve a 9/10 rating....yet if u go to metacritic or ign thers a ton of games that r overrated...

n has nobody noticed the recent over stauration of hack n slash/adventure type games ?

demon souls
    bayonetta
    dante inferno
    dark siders
    gow

i remember bk in the day (ps1/2 age) wen u cud buy a game n u wud literally get stuck, to the point were u had no choice but to stop playing, lol....n not every1 had the internet so it aint like u cud jus google for a walkthrough, but now we have ? tutorials in every game telling us how to 'press x' to jump or dodge or run...seriously....why are devs suddenly treating us like 12 yr olds ?, n u run thru them without even getting stuck at a puzzle, a boss, a swarm of enemies, missing item or key etc...u jus run thru, complete...then login to the arcade n call it contender for GOTY....ok then.....sorry but u've all been brainwashed...the gaming industry has done a 'number'on its consumers, fooling them into thinkin they gettin their moneys worth...if it was'nt for HD technology sum of these games wud be sooo horrible looking....maybe im asking for too much in 2010...but killzone still looked good in SD, so did MGS4...n in HD they were stunning...but prototype ?...infamous ?...na....wat gamers need to do is stop hyping up every semi-good looking game n actually look for a challenge or for something original that aint 2-3 days long with 64 bit gfx....

i need to start up on oblivion: elder scrolls, or cop that fallout 3....or do sumthin quik...cos im not sure i can even fk with the new FF13, i jus bought FF8 on psn so i mite jus fk with that...

sad to say the best feature of nxt gen gaming is 'multiplayer' feature...without it...seriously...wat wud be the point ?

I agree with you on Prototype being trash and easy ass games like AA being praised so heavily. I think that people ( Myself included ) were so pumped for a good Batman experience that the simple gameplay just didn't matter. The game was good, but let's be honest....it was some of the most basic ? most of us have ever played....no...we're nowhere near a renaissance, but we are looking at a very good 1st Quarter for gaming.

...And this is where I disagree with you.

You just went on a ? tirade bashing games for NOT being challenging and innovative, yet you throw Demon's Souls in the same ? with the likes of Dante's Inferno and Darksiders? What the hell is your problem? While it may not be the most fundamentally sound game out now, Demon's Souls is definitely among the most distinguished games this generation....When I randomly got summoned into somebody else's game as a boss....I was sold. Somehow I see you as as one of those guys that ? his pants when a new Madden comes out..which is very often the same game for about 5 years until somebody gets ONE new idea, and incorporates that....for the next 5 years. So yeah..we get a few adventure/action games and the market is over saturated...lest we forget the constant onslaught of the FPS.....and I don't know what the ? HD has to do with any of what you're attempting to prove but I'll go there anyway. Hi Def is becoming the standard now, if you can't stomach that, think of what the composite cable did to the RF unit...what S-Video did to composite, and what component is doing to S Video...ETC...For ? sake HD cables are like 20 bucks stop it, get up get out and get something.
  • One Spliff
    edited February 2010
    Options

You just went on a ? tirade bashing games for NOT being challenging and innovative, yet you throw Demon's Souls in the same ? with the likes of Dante's Inferno and Darksiders? What the hell is your problem? While it may not be the most fundamentally sound game out now, Demon's Souls is definitely among the most distinguished games this generation....When I randomly got summoned into somebody else's game as a boss....I was sold. Somehow I see you as as one of those guys that ? his pants when a new Madden comes out..which is very often the same game for about 5 years until somebody gets ONE new idea, and incorporates that....for the next 5 years. So yeah..we get a few adventure/action games and the market is over saturated...lest we forget the constant onslaught of the FPS.....and I don't know what the ? HD has to do with any of what you're attempting to prove but I'll go there anyway. Hi Def is becoming the standard now, if you can't stomach that, think of what the composite cable did to the RF unit...what S-Video did to composite, and what component is doing to S Video...ETC...For ? sake HD cables are like 20 bucks stop it, get up get out and get something.

na u mis read wat i said...

i ? with all those hack n slash games i mentioned...i even amde a thread askign which 1 i shud cop, because i aint kno which was the best...almost copped demon souls and dante inferno, but im jus guna wait for gow...i love those type games, my point was we dont need 5 of them all dropping in the same 2 month span, lol

i dont play madden, im in the UK

n i hav no idea what your last sentence about HD was reffering to...HD is the ? , thats the point i was trying to make...lol.

is english your first language ?, or maybe you just lack comprehension skills...its all good tho.
  • Put'Em On The Glass!
    Put'Em On The Glass! Members Posts: 6
    edited February 2010
    Options
    LOL or MAYBE they don't teach people how to properly form sentences where you're from.......judging by your spelling, that's the least of your problems.

That said, you went on a rant about how games look ? in Standard Def..with the exception MGS and KZ, which would indicate...to any well spoken person, that you wish for all games to look good in SD, not that there's anything wrong with that but...if you have HD why in the ? are you complaining about it?

Your response considered...it would appear that you're the one lacking comprehension skills...but hey...it's all good. xD
  • One Spliff
    edited February 2010
    Options
    LOL or MAYBE they don't teach people how to properly form sentences where you're from.......judging by your spelling, that's the least of your problems.

That said, you went on a rant about how games look ? in Standard Def..with the exception MGS and KZ, which would indicate...to any well spoken person, that you wish for all games to look good in SD, not that there's anything wrong with that but...if you have HD why in the ? are you complaining about it?

Your response considered...it would appear that you're the one lacking comprehension skills...but hey...it's all good. xD

na i was jus stating that games with bad gfx look even worse SD n very similar to ps2 n ps1 games...we aint have HD bk in the ps2 days bruh, so therefore the leap in gfx really has'nt been that big, HD saves alot of averge lookin games...

but like u said HD is the standard now...so it doesnt really apply to my argument...but still....sum next gen games still look great in SD.
  • headrek1
    headrek1 Members Posts: 121
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Yeah well like I said, Renaissance may have been too strong a word to use. But as the other poster stated it has been a very good couple of quarters for the industry. Now what's this non-sense about AA being too base (simple)? Okay... well maybe it was, but you can't expect every game to be ? Oblivion, or GTA IV when it first came out. I'm a comic lame, so to see a game that actually encapsulated what it meant to be the Dark Knight, was a treat, story was excellent, graphics likewise, so the control scheme was a little simple? At first I was turned off by the fact there was no jump button, and that there was one attack button (don't count the counter button, or cape stun), but as I played the game I saw it really didn't detract from the game.

Prototype trashy? The graphics weren't the best that's a given, and the story maybe wasn't a s well hashed out as it could have been, but to say this game is trash is lunacy. It play's well, and the concept was great. I've always been a firm believer that graphics don't always make the game. Look at Just Cause, that was a beautiful game, but it blew hard. KOTOR one of the best RPG's ever, to this day I would still pop in, and it's graphics sucked.

Maybe my standards aren't up to some of you all, but all I was saying was that it's a relief to go into a store, and drop money on games that aren't TOTAL busts (according to the posts a good majority were at least minimal busts).