Hollywood movies in homes IN 2 months

Options
black caesar
black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in Lights, Camera, Action!
If you're an aspiring movie producer, filmaker, and director, you should be reading this article. This is not good news. SMH

Taken from The Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/23-directors-producers-release-letter-180584

Counting James Cameron among them, 23 leading directors and producers have signed an open letter opposing a pricy new premium VOD service that puts movies in homes only 60 days after a film’s theatrical release.

DirecTV launches the new service—Home Premiere—on Thursday with Sony’s Just Go With It. Customers can rent the movie for $29.99. Along with Sony, Warner Bros., Universal and 20th Century Fox also are making select titles available on Home Premiere. Analysts have predicted this will have little impact.

"You can argue about VOD windows all day long, but what you can't deny is that there is an overwhelming outcry from the theater owners that they feel threatened by this,” says Cameron, who worked with the National Assn. of Theater Owners in putting together the letter.

“The cinema experience is the wellspring of our entire business, regardless of what platforms we trickle down to. If the exhibitors are worried, I'm worried. We should be listening to them. Why on earth would you give audiences an incentive to skip the highest and best form of your film? My films aren't going to the home early, but many will, and that will weaken the movie theater industry—and then my movies are threatened,” Cameron continues.

Others who signed the letter include Michael Bay, Kathryn Bigelow, Guillermo del Toro, Roland Emmerich, Peter Jackson, Jon Landau, Shawn Levy, Michael Mann, Todd Phillips, Brett Ratner, Adam Shankman, Gore Verbinski and Robert Zemeckis.

Earlier this month, Cameron announced that he intended to side with theater owners in a show of support for the theatrical experience.

Basically for those that are unaware, the theaters are the biggest source (window) of revenue in this business. It's going to hurt studios when it comes to recouping. It hurts producers, and filmakers as well.

Comments

• deeroc22
    deeroc22 Members Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    DirecTV launches the new service—Home Premiere—on Thursday with Sony’s Just Go With It. Customers can rent the movie for $29.99

GOT DAM... how long do i "rent" it for?????
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    most movies end up on DVD officially 90-100 days after their theatrical release anyway. what's 30 days going to do?

how about Hollywood making a movie that lasts more than a month or less in the theaters and try for something that'll last 4-6 months plus out there like ET and Star Wars did?
  • gdatruth2.0
    gdatruth2.0 Members Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    who the ? wants to RENT a movie for 29.99.

These directors are overreacting. Bootlegging and downloading been around for years and it hasnt significantly impacted box office tickets, especially for the blockbusters they direct.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    one hour.........
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This sucks, but the studios and theater companies have nobody to blame but themselves. Its like $10 to $15 per person to watch a flick in a theater not to mention its like $50 for a small popcorn these days. Now if you rent one for $30 bucks for you and shorty or a bunch of your friends you've saved on gas/food/hassel....for people with great Home Theaters I can easily see this taking off.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options

These directors are overreacting. Bootlegging and downloading been around for years and it hasnt significantly impacted box office tickets, especially for the blockbusters they direct.

Bootlegging's been around for a minute, so I'm not tripping on that. But as an aspiring producer, it's going to be hard to recoup when the number 1 window closes early. (See what I did there? LOL)
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options

rage wrote: »
    This sucks, but the studios and theater companies have nobody to blame but themselves. Its like $10 to $15 per person to watch a flick in a theater not to mention its like $50 for a small popcorn these days. Now if you rent one for $30 bucks for you and shorty or a bunch of your friends you've saved on gas/food/hassel....for people with great Home Theaters I can easily see this taking off.

I agree with both of yall. i think this could take off for a certain denmographic, but it isnt gonna put a significant dent in the theater business. A lot of people, expensive as it is, just prefer the theater experience.
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    why be threatened over something most folks aint gonna buy anyway

i know folks who dont go to the movies because paying 10.50 is too much for them,
    so i know for sure they aint bout to drop 30
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    How about the focus on decreasing ticket sales for movies right now, start bringing in more business as to avoid a situation like this.

I paid $22.50 just to get into a movie the other night with my wife, not including food or drinks. With gas being as high as it is, ticket sales as mentioned, annoying people in theaters acting a fool just to act a fool, and some movies not being worth the price of admission, a service like this sounds incredibly appealing.

I notice a few names on that list being directors of those big-budget movies that are only good because of the dynamics of a theater.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    young law wrote: »
    why be threatened over something most folks aint gonna buy anyway

i know folks who dont go to the movies because paying 10.50 is too much for them,
    so i know for sure they aint bout to drop 30

Get 5 people together in one dudes crib that has a nice 50inch (no ? no ? ) TV...your own food....split the $30 5 ways...this is targeted to exactly these people.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options

This right here^^^
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    Get 5 people together in one dudes crib that has a nice 50inch (no ? no ? ) TV...your own food....split the $30 5 ways...this is targeted to exactly these people.

ohhhhh ?

didnt even think of that

i only go to the movies with my wife or my cousin so i dont even associate the movies as being a group thing

but HDMI + new movie = win
    split the costs and its even sweeter
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I only watch movies on Saturday mornings.

$4 per ticket FTW.
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    If you're an aspiring movie producer, filmaker, and director, you should be reading this article. This is not good news. SMH

Taken from The Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/23-directors-producers-release-letter-180584

Counting James Cameron among them, 23 leading directors and producers have signed an open letter opposing a pricy new premium VOD service that puts movies in homes only 60 days after a film’s theatrical release.

DirecTV launches the new service—Home Premiere—on Thursday with Sony’s Just Go With It. Customers can rent the movie for $29.99. Along with Sony, Warner Bros., Universal and 20th Century Fox also are making select titles available on Home Premiere. Analysts have predicted this will have little impact.

"You can argue about VOD windows all day long, but what you can't deny is that there is an overwhelming outcry from the theater owners that they feel threatened by this,” says Cameron, who worked with the National Assn. of Theater Owners in putting together the letter.

“The cinema experience is the wellspring of our entire business, regardless of what platforms we trickle down to. If the exhibitors are worried, I'm worried. We should be listening to them. Why on earth would you give audiences an incentive to skip the highest and best form of your film? My films aren't going to the home early, but many will, and that will weaken the movie theater industry—and then my movies are threatened,” Cameron continues.

Others who signed the letter include Michael Bay, Kathryn Bigelow, Guillermo del Toro, Roland Emmerich, Peter Jackson, Jon Landau, Shawn Levy, Michael Mann, Todd Phillips, Brett Ratner, Adam Shankman, Gore Verbinski and Robert Zemeckis.

Earlier this month, Cameron announced that he intended to side with theater owners in a show of support for the theatrical experience.

Basically for those that are unaware, the theaters are the biggest source (window) of revenue in this business. It's going to hurt studios when it comes to recouping. It hurts producers, and filmakers as well.

Both the bolded comments are incorrect...

There are a LOT of factors that go into a "theatrical" experience, and right now the average home theater is no where NEAR capable of mimicking it, therefore I don't expect most of these guys films to end up going straight to V.O.D...BUT if this causes theaters to shut down, that could cause a HUGE problem for them.

And all yall saying they have nothing to worry about, that's the same thing the execs at Blockbuster said when Redbox dropped..hell to be honest that's the same thing these V.O.D. services said when Redbox dropped....

In fact if you want to be honest, none of this is the result of theater prices and EVERY bit the result of Redbox...it destroyed the american video rental, and now the American theater experience is in it's sight. Though in fairness it's more so a REACTION to redbox that's threatening the theater but it's still a result of redbox.

This doesn't affect aspiring film makers at all though....