Stocks & Mutual Funds Advice: Investing G&S Edition....

Recaptimus_Prime360
Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in Strictly Business
a brotha is lookin more to invest in stocks, mutual funds, and what not. For those who invested, what kinda tips can you give. honestly i don't wanna wait til i'm old to enjoy my money. so right now i'm lookin to invest in something that'll give me a good return. then again, i do want that long term money tho.

any advice? what kinda stocks have you invested in, and gotten a good return in? holla back wit your responses.

Comments

• politicalthug202
    politicalthug202 Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    just invest in ETFS,you really cant beat the market unless you got alot of time on ur hands.
    you can get a few blue chips with good yield.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    EFT's are great if you don't need to get access to money, but if you do then Mutual Finds is the way to go. You should diversify for portfolio and get both. Pace your self. Keep up with the news daily.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited April 2011
    ok what are "EFT's"? schoool me on that.
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    In addition to what's been said, look into companies that take more money and invest into the company with less dividends if you're thinking long-term.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    darkone360 wrote: »
    ok what are "EFT's"? schoool me on that.

EFT=Exchange Traded Funds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange-traded_fund

Here. Have a treat. It's on me. Your'e Welcome.

http://www.4shared.com/document/_Vzz8SMo/ETF_for_Dummies.html
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    do a lot of research find out what's the big wave and get in on the ground floor
  • greatgodman
    greatgodman Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    if you are looking into mutual funds, you should your research about what that company investing in. it also depend what kind of risks you are willing to make.
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    don't be afraid to lose money
  • Coby Vibes
    Coby Vibes Members Posts: 2,892
    edited April 2011
    read investment/finance magazines and books. pay attention to world events, current trends, etc. you have to do your own research and go with what your comfortable in.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited April 2011
    good advice goin on here. i just read some info on etf's. my homegirl was tellin me i should puchase stock in GE. what are some other companies that's good to buy stock in?
  • phantom0900
    phantom0900 Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    What about trading currency over the FOREX? I've been getting offers on opportunities to get money in this arena.

Also, does it make any sense to buy stock in the companies you make purchases from frequently? Say Sony supplied your entertainment system, and you live off of Burger King, i dont even know if these are publically traded companies, but as far as examples go.. is this a good idea?
  • phantom0900
    phantom0900 Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    sionb55 wrote: »
    Be careful with Forex trading, u may want to pick up a book on macroeconomics so that u can understand the economic situation of the country who's currency u'll be trading. In this lane im not sure whats good advice to give u but I do know that if ur gonna take the active trading approach especially w/ currencies theres a strong chance u may get burned real bad fam. Countries dont change every day like say the price of a stock might fluctuate....

Yeah it does make sense to buy stock in companies u frequently buy from. Just so long as the price u pay isnt too wild. Good thing too is that u prolly have better knowledge of a place u order food from or buy video games from then the standard trader or investor does, so ull prolly be able to dictate how some new creation or invention may affect that business.

Thanks fam.
  • naomi shambles
    naomi shambles Members Posts: 150 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Open up a roth ira with vanguard and invest in an index fund. Do research...i like morningstar.com
  • Sep-00
    Sep-00 Members Posts: 210
    edited April 2011
    i would start out with mutual funds because they give you more diversity. they allow you to own many stocks in one investment. you can go to investment companies websites like vanguard and take the investor questionnaire and that will give you a targe mix ( percentage stocks and bonds) and give some basic funds to choose from.
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Sep-00 wrote: »
    i would start out with mutual funds because they give you more diversity. they allow you to own many stocks in one investment. you can go to investment companies websites like vanguard and take the investor questionnaire and that will give you a targe mix ( percentage stocks and bonds) and give some basic funds to choose from.

Where exactly is the questionnaire on the site?
  • Sh0t
    Sh0t Members Posts: 1,162
    edited April 2011
    Unless you have 6 figures to basically lose, I would stay far away from forex.

not only is the market itself very volatile(which isn't a bad thing, but it's bad for beginners), Forex BROKERS are also very shady and people get money tied up for months in suits.
  • Sep-00
    edited April 2011
    TANGLUNG wrote: »

on vanguard's site click on the link that says go to persanl investors site (lower left) then upper right start typing investor in the search box and it will be the first one that pops up.
  • Sep-00
    edited April 2011
    TANGLUNG wrote: »

this is the link the fund recommendations
    http://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/tools/recommendation?reset=true