Games that were overshadowed.............

Options
renagade410.
renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in IllGaming
The gaming industry is a very tough place. Once a game makes itself a household name its very hard to compete with it. I'm sure everybody has played a game that did not get its just due because of a release of another game in the same quarter.

my pick:

Need for speed Hot pursuit

This game had so much hype behind it....hell ? on here was competing just off the demo alone. However Gran Turismo dropped and people forgot this game even existed. Maybe it was the ignorance of the devs thinking they could compete with gran turismo but none the less this game got overshadowed.

So arcade,what games have you played that were overshadowed by a more popular game.

Comments

• genocide_cutter
    genocide_cutter Members Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Beyond good and evil
  • Jay Pee
    Jay Pee Members Posts: 761
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I swear need for speed is so overrated! i'm more of a burnout/turismo racer
  • renagade410.
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Jay ? wrote: »
    I swear need for speed is so overrated! i'm more of a burnout/turismo racer

well i wouldnt compare it to gran turismo....two totally different games(unless u comparing nfs shift to it)...as far as burnout i havnt played burnout paradise so i cant comment on that but nfs hot pursuit was dope
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    You're not lying. I've hardly played Hot Pursuit. I bought both of them on the same day and, even though I was looking forward to HP more, I got too caught up in GT5 and have hardly touched it.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Ico
    any game that was good that comes out in the Fall/Winter... Call of Duty/Madden/Halo season
  • louis rich
    louis rich Members Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    NFS hot pursuit 2 did its numbers also won countless awards........so it DIDNT get overshadow
  • renagade410.
    edited April 2011
    Options
    louis rich wrote: »
    NFS hot pursuit 2 did its numbers also won countless awards........so it DIDNT get overshadow

hmmmm i def didnt know about the awards but even still as joshuaboy said he rarely played it because of gran turismo....and onespliff is known for having numerous ps3 games that he hasnt even opened. Basically just because it sells doesn't mean its getting played. Fact of the matter is the game was overshadowed by gran turismo. Thats not saying that it didnt sell well just that if it hadnt been for another game(gran turismo 5) it wouldve been waaaaay bigger than what it was.

Of course im basing all of this on the general consensus of the arcade and what i see ppl on my friends list playing...nationwide(def not globally) it could very well be a different story tho as casual gamers prob did prefer nfs hot pursuit.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Beyond good and evil

co-sign was jus about to say this
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    louis rich wrote: »

Hot Pursuit 2?
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Definitely Beyond Good and Evil and Ico

Rollcage: Stage II
    Psychonauts
    Okami
    Primal
    Black
    Mark Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure
    Rez (dunno if you could even count especially since you can still buy it via download)

No one I knew had even heard of Rollcage: Stage II or at least knew of the second one, but as soon as they played it they absolutely loved it.

Getting Up had some awful controls and an even worse title name but the rest of the gameplay and the story was so involving that I was surprised when I heard it didn't sell the way they thought it would. The story sets up a sequel which is even more frustrating.
  • satyrone
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Definitely Beyond Good and Evil and Ico

Rollcage: Stage II
    Psychonauts
    Okami
    Primal
    Black
    Mark Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure
    Rez (dunno if you could even count especially since you can still buy it via download)

No one I knew had even heard of Rollcage: Stage II or at least knew of the second one, but as soon as they played it they absolutely loved it.

Getting Up had some awful controls and an even worse title name but the rest of the gameplay and the story was so involving that I was surprised when I heard it didn't sell the way they thought it would. The story sets up a sequel which is even more frustrating.

i still got Okami, Rez,Black and Mark Eckos getting up. those games were mos def slept on.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Need for speed Hot pursuit

This game had so much hype behind it....hell ? on here was competing just off the demo alone. However Gran Turismo dropped and people forgot this game even existed. Maybe it was the ignorance of the devs thinking they could compete with gran turismo but none the less this game got overshadowed.

So arcade,what games have you played that were overshadowed by a more popular game.

I ain't seen not one of yall ? online in this (together in a lobby). Hot Pursuit mode was the ? too.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    What is beyond good & evil?
  • satyrone
    edited April 2011
    Options
    What is beyond good & evil?

a really dope game that came out last gen but they relased it at the wrong time. it got overshadowded by a buch of bigger relases. if your on Live or PSN you can download it from there.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    a really dope game that came out last gen but they relased it at the wrong time. it got overshadowded by a buch of bigger relases. if your on Live or PSN you can download it from there.

Its been on Live, i think PSN is getting it a lil later, i could be wrong, though.
  • satyrone
    edited April 2011
    Options
    stoneface wrote: »
    Its been on Live, i think PSN is getting it a lil later, i could be wrong, though.

i know i got it the day it came out on live and i still have my old ps2 copy. i thought they released both onlive and psn at the same time
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    i know i got it the day it came out on live and i still have my old ps2 copy. i thought they released both onlive and psn at the same time

Yeah, I just looked it up for the ? of it, the PSN version drops next month in May.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Marc Ecko's Getting Up was so slept on that it was disgusting. I downloaded that ? on a whim back in the day and had a ball.

I personally think Tenchu as a series is slept on heavily in the world of Splinter Cells and Metal Gear Solid's, it's hard to sell a stealth game where it's a guy/girl with a sword, rope, and ninja stars with no billion dollar gadgets, but the ? is AWESOME.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    lol basically half if not all of the games released on the Dreamcast
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The Jamel wrote: »
    The newest HP was ass, the HOT PURSUIT aspect was overshadowed by the other type of races, almost as if the actual Hot Pursuit portion was an after thought.

WHAT? And what other type of races - there were only HP, Race, & Interjection (I think that's what it was called) and HP was the best out of the three.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.