Health/Workout Myths Thread

Mantequilla
Mantequilla Members Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in The Weight Room
Post or discuss your fav general health or workout myths since proven wrong that others may find useful (or just hilarious)

Heres a few protein myths that come to mind

Myth
- Protein supplements/shakes are an essential part of someone who actively exercises diet
Truth
You can easily reach your Protein requirements for your level of training without supplements by eating the correct portions and amounts you need from food

Myth
- Post working out, protein is the most important nutrient to take to prevent muscle breakdown
Truth
In reality, carbohydrate is the most important. You should take in more Carb as opposed to protein after working out to help minimize degradation (protein breakdown). This helps maximise Protein synthesis. Pretty much together carb & pro post-working out is the right combo, instead of protein alone

Myth
- Excess Carb gets turned into fat, but protein in any amount gets used for muscle growth
Truth
Protein in large excess can get turned into Fat as well. Also consider the amounts of saturated fat that come with different types of non-lean/lean animal flesh

Comments

• leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011

Myth
    - Protein supplements/shakes are an essential part of someone who actively exercises diet
    Truth
    You can easily reach your Protein requirements for your level of training without supplements by eating the correct portions and amounts you need from food

True, but if you are looking to eat a particular macro range (i.e., 40%P/40%C/20%F) then those Protein Shakes and MRPs come in very handy because you can adjust them around your food based calorie intake. I eat pretty healthy and count calories but I eat good however I eat to meet calorie targets so I use the protein shakes, bars, and MRPs as tools to meet my target ranges. Most people I know who only eat whole foods have pretty nice muscles but aren't "ripped". They always have extra bodyfat they've been trying to lose forever.They end up taking in extra calories/macros through cooking oils, spices, and condiments.

MYTH
    A low fat diet makes you lose fat

FACT
    The insulin response turns on the fat storage process.
    Dietary fat produces virtually no insulin response.
    Carbohydrates trigger the insulin response. Eating more Carbs (sugar) than your body can use (for muscle glycogen, liver, blood, and brain functions) trigger your body to start secreting insulin to lower you blood sugar level (so you don't die) by storing excess the carbs as fat.
    (i.e., why sodas are bad for you. why people notice weight loss quickly when cutting out soda).

MYTH
    Only do cardio in morning

FACT
    Do it whenever. It doesn't matter (IF you are trying to keep muscle).

GHETTO MYTH
    Alcohol and drugs don't affect muscle building

FACT
    Regular alcohol consumption lowers testosterone (and kills sperm). An occasional drink won't do much damage.
    Coke, Robo (codeine, syrup) and pills (oxy, hydrocodone) all decrease testoterone levels
  • 100%Sagittarius
    100%Sagittarius Members Posts: 478
    edited April 2011
    1. Duration of workout = More calories burned

** It isn't the amount of time you spend working out that's going to change your body, it's the intensity of your workout. It's very possible to burn more calories in 20 min of high intensity exercise than 1 hour on an ellipital machine at a steady pace

2. You can compensate a poor diet with a lot of exercise

**I have found- the hard way- that diet is extremely important; I would dare to say it's even more important than exercise (if you're trying to lose weight, not generally speaking)
  • Gerared
    Gerared Members Posts: 4
    edited April 2011
    It is also a common myth that if you wanna gain more weight and muscles then try to eat to your fill and massive and fatty things...
    There is no truth behind this story.. Every thing is only effective if you do it with a right process,,,
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Good information in this thread. Props!